IKEA recall products from Malm Chest of Drawer Range that has killed three children

gregjrichards

Reaction score
"After the deaths of three toddlers, Ikea has agreed to immediately stop selling dressers that too easily tip over, and to offer full refunds to millions of customers who bought them.

The recall applies to 29 million dressers, some sold more than a decade ago, including the company's popular, low-cost Malm line. By Monday, Ikea's website no longer carried the Malm models blamed in the deaths, which fail industry stability tests.

Details of the agreement, which a federal agency source briefed on the matter called "unprecedented," are scheduled to be made public Tuesday.

Hours after the Inquirer first reported the news Monday afternoon, Ikea USA president Lars Petersson confirmed the recall in an interview with NBC News, saying consumers who own the affected dressers should "please take them out" of any rooms accessible to children."

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/2...adly_dressers__offer_refunds_to_millions.html

I thought I would post this story as many people have these chest of drawers in their home including me. The recall also applies in the U.K according to the Daily Mirror http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/ikea-recall-killer-drawers-after-8298777

why does it seem like parents are no longer responsible for their children's actions these days?

how can you blame an inanimate object for a kids death?....i just don't get it

my stove is too easy to turn on, my child might get burned.....recall?

This is why furniture anchoring is so important if you have a small child who may play alone in a room. I hired a company to come out and anchor everything to the walls. If we ever move we will have one heck of a bill for all the patching that will need to be done, but, I feel confident a strong earthquake couldn't budge our furniture, much less my child.

I'm slightly confused about this when it comes to, for example, the six-drawer model. It doesn't look any more likely to topple over than any other large piece of furniture. (I can see how the center of balance might be a little wonky on the tall thin ones.) And I assume this furniture isn't just falling over, that it's a result of the child climbing on it, or something?

My point is: does this furniture explicitly pose a greater risk than other furniture of a similar size/shape, or is it just that large objects are dangerous and IKEA was a big, easy legal target? I'd be curious to know how often this happens with other large objects that aren't sold by such an easily identifiable brand. (I've heard more than one terrible story about a large television falling onto a child, but I'm guessing we won't see a similar recall there.)

... well, did a quick Google before hitting post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rising-frequency-causing-injuries-and-deaths/

In short, I'm still not sure why these specific items are being recalled. Maybe it really is a center of balance thing, even on the lower/longer models, or maybe IKEA is just taking the hit because it's easier than fighting it.

I had one of these fall on me. It was like being hit by a linebacker! I had trouble getting out from under it and was sore for days. The big mistake was having more than one drawer open which I've done with every other dresser in my entire life.

I'm slightly confused about this when it comes to, for example, the six-drawer model. It doesn't look any more likely to topple over than any other large piece of furniture. (I can see how the center of balance might be a little wonky on the tall thin ones.) And I assume this furniture isn't just falling over, that it's a result of the child climbing on it, or something?

My point is: does this furniture explicitly pose a greater risk than other furniture of a similar size/shape or is it just that large objects are dangerous and IKEA was a big, easy legal target? I'd be curious to know how often this happens with other large objects that aren't sold by such an easily identifiable brand. (I've heard more than one terrible story about a large television falling onto a child, but I'm guessing we won't see a similar recall there.)

... well, did a quick Google before hitting post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rising-frequency-causing-injuries-and-deaths/

In short, I'm still not sure why these specific items are being recalled. Maybe it really is a center of balance thing, even on the lower/longer models, or maybe IKEA is just taking the hit because it's easier than fighting it.

Bbm: Yes.

Hmm we have these for our girls. According to the beeb, the recall is in US only, they WONT be recalled in the UK and Ireland.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36648589

I just read that which doesn't seem right to me. Clearly they are very concerned about a massive lawsuit in the U.S.A and that's why the recall is happening there only. I agree that wall anchors should be used and it should be law that people do so to save lives.

I had one of these fall on me. It was like being hit by a linebacker! I had trouble getting out from under it and was sore for days. The big mistake was having more than one drawer open which I've done with every other dresser in my entire life.

I've never been to IKEA or seen their products other than in a catalogue. The chest of drawers in question does not look particularly sturdy to me. I personally think a tall chest like that is not appropriate for a small child's bedroom. When DD was growing up, her furniture suite had only three drawers and was very strong and sturdy. No way could any of the pieces of furniture have fallen forward; I could barely move them myself.

I've never been to IKEA or seen their products other than in a catalogue. The chest of drawers in question does not learn particularly sturdy to me. I personally think a tall chest like that is not appropriate for a small child's bedroom. When DD was growing up, her furniture suite had only three drawers and was very strong and sturdy. No way could any of the pieces of furniture fallen forward; I could barely move them myself.

It's sturdy - I wouldn't have purchased it otherwise and that might be why it hurt so much! - I think it's the balance or maybe it's top heavy? The drawers slide out easier and are deeper than in other dressers. I'm still happy with it but I have the contents distributed so the heavier stuff is on the bottom and I'm careful to only open one drawer at a time.

I have so much IKEA stuff it's almost embarrassing. They have dorm room quality stuff, but the good stuff they have is really good. (My furniture is mostly IKEA, Value City, and antique. :) )

Like you though I wouldn't have a tall dresser (or bookshelf) like that in a kid's room and when my daughter was young everything in the house was anchored, even the Christmas tree.

My family loves IKEA and most of our furniture is from there. We go to the one in Burlington Ontario but not often because its always packed and I think some families treat it like a second home, laying on the beds, couches and sitting at the dining tables having a snack lol. We don't have MALM products but any dresser we have bought has anchoring instructions and the parts needed.

The MÄSTERBY step stool scares me. No way would I ever stand on this thing.

masterby-step-stool-yellow__0315625_PE414175_S4.JPG

masterby-step-stool-gray__0315624_PE414174_S4.JPG

Yikes.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/images/products/masterby-step-stool-yellow__0315625_PE414175_S4.JPG
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/images/products/masterby-step-stool-gray__0315624_PE414174_S4.JPG

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back