1299 users online (262 members and 1037 guests)  

Websleuths News

UK - 20 Children Missing, Brecon Beacons Hills, Wales, 29 June 2016

A large group of children are feared missing on the hills of the Brecon Beacon - including two who are thought to be suffering from hypothermia.

The children, aged in their mid-teens, are said to have been on the mountain without any adults as part of their Duke of Edinburgh Award.

Police and mountain rescue teams scrambled to the Welsh region after receiving a call at about 1 pm this afternoon.

Officers revealed they had managed to speak to the group on the phone, but that reception had been intermittent.

Mark Moran from Central Beacons Mountain Rescue said the team believes it knows when the children are, but they are lost in the cloud.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...n-live-8310113
    The man in my avatar may have killed two innocent teenagers Abigail Williams and Liberty German. If you know who he is Please call the tip line. There is a reward of $250,000 - Tel- 844.459.5786 or email: abbyandlibbytip@cacoshrf.com

The dead cannot cry out for justice. It is a duty of the living to do so for them. Lois McMaster Bujold.

"Mr Moran said the rescue team is in intermittent phone contact with the four groups of six children, who do not have an adult with them.

The children, from England, are in their mid teens and are on the beacons as part of their Duke of Edinburgh Award.

A Dyfed-Powys Police spokesman said: "Concern was expressed for their welfare due to the inclement weather.

"Mountain Rescue Team are leading the search activity and the UK Coastguard helicopter is also assisting."

Police said the number of missing children had not been confirmed"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-m...e=news_central
    The man in my avatar may have killed two innocent teenagers Abigail Williams and Liberty German. If you know who he is Please call the tip line. There is a reward of $250,000 - Tel- 844.459.5786 or email: abbyandlibbytip@cacoshrf.com

The dead cannot cry out for justice. It is a duty of the living to do so for them. Lois McMaster Bujold.

Interesting that they are referred to as 'children' in the story. I think here in the States, they would be called 'teens'.

Praying for a safe outcome.
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

No adult supervision? I'm wondering if this is a normal thing in Wales? I'm not familiar with the Duke of Edinburgh award. Is this something they have to do on their own to prove strength and bravery without an adult? I'm gobsmacked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by anonypotomous View Post
    No adult supervision? I'm wondering if this is a normal thing in Wales? I'm not familiar with the Duke of Edinburgh award. Is this something they have to do on their own to prove strength and bravery without an adult? I'm gobsmacked.

Latest Update

"Rescue crews are with 'some of the children'

Rescuers have confirmed they have found some of the missing 20 children.

Dyfed-Powys Police said the coastguard rescue helicopter had located a number of the children and crews are now with them.

However, police stressed that at this stage not all the youngsters are accounted for."

"What is Duke of Edinburgh Awards?

The Duke of Edinburgh’s Award (commonly abbreviated DofE) is the generic name for a youth awards programme founded in the United Kingdom in 1956 by Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

The awards recognise adolescents and young adults for completing a series of self-improvement exercises.

As of 2013, roughly 300,000 young people were taking part in Duke of Edinburgh’s Award programmes run in more than 11,000 designated award centres - including schools, youth clubs and businesses - throughout the UK."

Three out of four groups found

It is understood the children were separated into groups of four groups of either five or six.

Western Mountain Rescue Team have found three of the groups and are currently working to find the fourth group.

Rescuers believe they know where the fourth group is following helicopter searches and are currently looking to reach them on foot.

My daughter is due to do her Duke of Edinburgh award expedition soon, this terrifies me!

Yes, the group of teens, usually aged 14/15/16, are put into groups of 4 or 5 and left to the wilderness to survive. They have a practice expedition first, with an adult, then a month or so later go alone. They are trained and well prepared (supposedly) for it. They stay 1/2 or 4 nights depending on what level they are doing.

ALL MISSING TEENS FOUND SAFE

BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 4m4 minutes ago

All 26 students who were lost in Brecon Beacons are safe and accounted for, mountain rescue team says

Looks like they have all been found now http://news.sky.com/story/1719261/20...-beacons-found

Yes, the whole point of these expeditions is that they are done without an adult accompanying the participants. The point is to test teamwork, navigation, self-reliance etc. I'm guessing from them being described as mid-teens and children that they were doing the bronze award, possibly the silver, which involve spending 1 night or 2-3 nights away respectively. The Brecons are pretty rugged terrain and are the main regular training ground for the SAS who are based at Hereford about 20 miles away. I think it likely that these kids were walking more or less in the foothills rather than on the tops. The weather in recent weeks has been pretty wet and miserable, which seems to have been the main cause for concern.

This is the scheme website: http://www.dofe.org

Were the kids lost and suffering from hypothermia? Or did some adults not know where they were and panicked? The original article said they were 'feared missing' which says to me the fear was coming from people not on the trip.
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.