Staff member
WS Liason
Reaction score
Website
www.websleuths.com
Melissa Simmons case unsolved after 19 years
Posted: Saturday, June 30, 2012 12:00 am
Brian Mulherin | bmulherin@ludingtondailynews.com

It’s been 19 years since Melissa Simmons of Scottville disappeared and was later found in the Pere Marquette River.

The Mason County Sheriff’s Office makes no bones about it — it’s an open case and a murder investigation.

Simmons, 15, was last seen June 23, 1993 and her body was found by fishermen July 1, 1993, according to Mason County Sheriff Jeff Fiers.

Simmons was last seen in the city of Scottville and her body was discovered about a quarter mile downstream from the Reek Road bridge on the Pere Marquette River.

Sheriff: Simmons death still being treated as murder
But ‘party gone bad’ also cited as possible cause.
June 27, 1993
The case is still being treated as a possible murder, although the department believes Simmons’ death may have resulted from “a party gone bad or an accident situation, “Sheriff Larry Stewart said.

Two weeks ago, Stewart reported hearing of a party at Whelan Lake in the southeast corner of Branch Township the night Simmons went missing.

Simmons was last seen by her parents @ their 206 E Broadway home @9:45pm. Then seen w/ two teenaged girls at the Scottsville Wesco station about 10pm

An autopsy showed she likely died in the early morning hours of June 24.

Stewart would not release any further information from the toxicology or pathology reports.

Cause of Simmon’s Death still Unknown
By Cheryl Higginson Daily News Staff Writer
July 13, 1993

“There are a couple of things that give me some concerns in the report, but until I have an expert explain this to me we really won’t know a whole lot more,” Mason County Dheriff Larry Stewart said this morning.”

Stewart was referring to a toxicology report received today from Dr. Stephen Kohle, Blodgett Hospital in Grand Rapids, who performed the autopsy July 2.

Stewart said it could not be determined if Simmons had drowned.

Simmons may have been seen at the Spartan West Bowling Alley that same night between 10 & 11; and may have been in the company of 3 boys.

Unsolved Mystery
Melissa Simmons’ 1993 death remains unsolved
Posted: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 12:00 am
jlinn@ludingtondailynews.com

One of Mason County’s unsolved mysteries is the death of Melissa Simmons. Melissa was 15 when she died during the summer of 1993.

Her body was recovered in the Pere Marquette River 16 years ago today by a fisherman. She was last seen June 23, 1993.

Police have investigated the case as a homicide over the years but no one has ever been charged with the crime.

Melissa was last seen about 10 p.m. June 23, 1993 at the Scottville Wesco with two teenage girls. Her body was found a week later.

Police have never released a cause of death from the autopsy conducted in 1993.

It would be good to know Jeffrey Willis's movements when Melissa went missing.

23 years to the day she was found.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

It would be good to know Jeffrey Willis's movements when Melissa went missing.

Good point. For reference, he would have been 23 at the time and Scottville is only an hour give or take from Muskegon, where Jessica disappeared from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spartan12!!
Back