MA MA - Claire Gravel, 20, Salem, 29 June 1989

OkieGranny

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.salemnews.com/news/local...cle_b61aa99c-6fc8-5dbd-8d95-ba18638c5e0d.html

The 20-year-old North Andover native and sophomore at Salem State College was last seen relaxing after a softball game with her team at Major Magleashes' pub — an institution that still stands at 268 Washington St. — on June 29, 1986. According to newspaper clippings from July 1986, she was given a ride back to the large yellow rooming house on Loring Street where she resided.

That's the last time Gravel would be seen alive...

On June 30, in the afternoon, Gravel's body was found off Route 128 in Beverly. Early reports of a severe beating were later contradicted, but the preliminary cause of death was strangulation, possibly with an instrument, which police never publicly identified.

http://www.fox25boston.com/news/new-englands-unsolved-claire-gravel/377324630

The bar owner recalled to FOX25’s Bob Ward that it was a regular Saturday night, and Gravel didn't seem to be having a problem with anyone.

What remains unknown is what happened after Gravel left the bar

There have been conflicting stories over the years about who she was with, and whether she got into a car.

Early on many believed the killer to be an SSC cop or a bouncer from Majors. His first name was James I believe.

I have actually spoken to the Mass state police about this case. They don’t seem to be working too hard on it anymore. I think they know who dunnit but don’t have enough evidence to convict.

Gray Hughes discusses. Time stamp 7:05 on his clock, upper right.

I would figure that they are not working hard on the case after almost 40 years, but I was reading this: The Unsolved Murder of Claire Gravel and it made me wonder, who is the man that gave her a ride home? Was he never looked at as a suspect on her case? I mean, its weird that the last person that saw her dropped her off and she was never seen again. What were his alibis? It reminded me of the Skylar Neese case... but it's a cold case so I dont have my hopes high of finding who that man was...

Oct 21 2022
'John Carey has been identified as a suspect in the killing of Claire Gravel in 1986.'

rbbm.
''SALEM, Mass. — Thirty-six years after Claire Gravel’s body was discovered on the side of Route 128 in Beverly, a 63-year-old man was arraigned in Salem Superior Court, charged with her murder.

John Carey, already serving a 20-year sentence for attempted murder (strangulation) and house invasion convictions in an unrelated case, was arraigned via video link from MCI Souza Baranowski where he loudly proclaimed “Not Guilty!”

''In Salem Superior Court, Claire Gravel’s father, three of her brothers, and a sister-in-law filled a front row in the courtroom to see the man now charged with Claire’s murder.''

It is not known if Claire knew John Carey, who was six years older than her.

However, at his arraignment, Essex County Assistant District Attorney Kim Faitella revealed that Claire’s tank top was found tied in a “figure of eight” and that she was strangled. And that DNA collected from that tank top matched Carey’s DNA collected from him when he was incarcerated in 2009.''

John Carey’s current sentence is set to expire in 2027.

He is now ordered held without bail, awaiting trial for Claire Gravel’s case.

The next court day in the case is December 8th.''

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member