Italy - Beau Solomon, 19, UW student, Rome, 30 June 2016 *Arrest*

los2188

North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!
Reaction score
Family: UW student studying abroad in Italy reported missing
Beau-Solomon-jpg.jpg

The family of Beau Solomon, a University of Wisconsin student studying abroad in Italy, tells News 3 he went missing Thursday night.
They said he was out at a bar Thursday night with friends, but when the group decided to leave he was not there. When he didn’t show up for class the next day, his friends reported it.
http://www.channel3000.com/news/family-uw-student-studying-abroad-in-italy-reported-missing/40342416

http://www.wkow.com/story/32364543/...utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_WKOW_27
the parents of a missing UW-Madison student left for Italy Sunday afternoon.
They were able to obtain passports and boarding passes on short notice
The family says 19-year-old Beau Solomon was last seen late Thursday night at a bar with a group of students. He was expected to be at a study abroad orientation meeting at John Cabot University in Rome Italy Friday morning.
it was discovered that his credit card had been stolen. Family members say the card had more than $1,500 in charges.

in the previous link it mentioned it was his first night in Rome and of his trip.

$1500.00 cc charges....not good. I sure hope Beau is alright.....he survived cancer when he was young so he's a fighter. I feel for his family having to fly over there to search for their son. How overwhelming that must be.

Oh geez. I have been anxious because my son wants to study abroad in places a heck of a lot less safe than what I perceive Italy to be so this does not make me feel better. I truly feel for his parents!

Jul 4 2016, 6:17 am ET

American Student Beau Solomon Goes Missing in Rome, Italy

by Claudio Lavanga and F. Brinley Bruton

ROME — An American college student has vanished just hours after arriving in the Italian capital, according to police and his university.

Beau Solomon, a 20-year-old visiting student from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, arrived in Italy on Thursday. He was reported missing the following morning by his roommate, John Cabot University said in a statement issued Sunday...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/american-student-beau-solomon-goes-missing-rome-italy-n603331

Look up Andrew Mogli--eerily similar to this. Same school , same circumstances. Astounding.

Andrew Mogni went to the University of Iowa.

Circumstances. I ran across his name accidentally and then saw this. Lots out there. Same majors--yes, different home school. All John Cabot. Just found it interesting and thought I should share as this thread just stArted.

Study Abroad in Rome is Dangerous

Andrew Mogni became a memory on Easter Sunday, months after he was critically injured during his study abroad program at John Cabot, an ‘American’ University in Rome, Italy. Chicago Tribune’s story says, “Andrew Mogni was an ambitious student at the University of Iowa studying finance and business analytics.” Andrew is remembered as a vibrant fraternity brother, full of life and potential as a 20 year old University of Iowa student originally from Illinois.
Sadly, Andrew’s death is not even a meaningful statistic. If deaths of students abroad were statistically meaningful, perhaps Andrew would have known not to venture out into the part of Rome where he and many other American students were possibly assaulted, robbed and tossed off the Tiber Bridge.

A landmark law in Minnesota, Senate File 1975, Thomas Plotkin’s Higher Education Sunshine Law, is working to inform and protect students about dangers abroad.

Tragically, there is no mandated public reporting of illness, injury and death elsewhere. Forum on Education Abroad is building a ‘volunteer’ database – membership required. The Forum often states, “Most of these students come back safe.”

Those words ring hollow if you don’t have meaningful data to back it up. How many is most? For anyone who loves Andrew, or any other student who came back with a coffin instead of a diploma, one death is one death too many.

How many American student deaths and critical injuries have occurred via falls while attending John Cabot University? Only they know. These cases were publicly reported:

Andrew Mogni, University of Iowa
Ricky Demello, St. Thomas University, Minneapolis
John Durkin, Bates College (John’s wallet was reportedly not with him.)
Andrew Carr, Marquette University, Milwaukee
Karen Young, University North Carolina

The notorious murder of British student Meredith Kercher in the famous Amanda Knox‘guilty until proven innocent’ case is assigned to John Cabot, followed by the near fatal stabbing of Fabio Malpeso, 19, from New Jersey. Students and their families are often under-prepared when critical injuries happen on foreign soil.

So many deaths are enough to make anger rise about the danger of studying abroad in Rome, particularly when our scholars are under-informed. John Cabot University could change that with a Clery report, in honor of these seven students who were irreparably harmed in Rome. We want to know, how many others?

Circumstances. I ran across his name accidentally and then saw this. Lots out there. Same majors--yes, different home school. All John Cabot. Just found it interesting and thought I should share as this thread just stArted.

Study Abroad in Rome is Dangerous

.....snipped by me

Thanks for this Fascinated1...could you please link to the source?

All these horror stories. My friends son just left for Italy for a few months of fun before starting his semester abroad. I'm worried. I hope he stays smart.

In my younger years I backpacked across Europe. I found myself in some pretty dicey areas, especially in Italy. Lots of immigrants even in the 80s, and shady characters hanging around tourist spots just waiting for people to get drunk or comfortable enough to be off their guard. We had many close calls. I honestly would feel safer getting drunk in the middle of times square. (I'm not saying Beau was drunk, but first night in Italy, jet lagged...)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Departsmart.org/study-abroad-Rome/--apologies I thought that would paste over!

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...an-college-student-missing-in-rome/ar-AAi4hHA

[FONT=&quot]Police confirmed to CBS News later Monday morning that a body had been found in the Tiber river, near the Marconi bridge, about one mile south of the area where Solomon was last seen. Police forensic investigators were on their way to the scene and there was no immediate word on the identity or sex of the body found in the river.[/FONT]

My first thought with college-aged men and disappearing after going to a bar is water. It seems to be a common denominator, for some reason. So sad. :(

Going to any large city anywhere in the world has its dangers (some more than others). There are foreign students that have disappeared here in the US. That being said, colleges & universities need to do more to teach these kids about safety when studying abroad - neighborhoods to stay out of etc. my heart aches for the family of this young man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is so so sad. If his credit cards are being used, then foul play? WTH?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back