866 users online (144 members and 722 guests)  

Websleuths News

Girl bitten by poisonous snake at school may lose her arm

(AP) A 14-year-old girl may lose her arm after being bitten by a poisonous copperhead snake at school, authorities said.

The snake was caught in Valley Forge by a 17-year-old male student, who took it in a shoebox to a drama club gathering at St. Pius X High School on Friday, Lower Pottsgrove Police Chief Ray Bechtel said. No regular classes were held that day, which was designated for staff development.

The boy was showing the reptile to other students when it bit the girl's finger, Bechtel said.

The girl, whose name was not released by police, apparently threw the snake across the room and the boy threw it outside. The snake was not found, but authorities were able to identify it because the boy photographed it with his camera cellphone, said Bechtel.

The victim was treated at Pottstown Memorial Medical Center about 45 minutes after being bitten, he said.

"The doctors said if it had been a half-hour longer she would likely have been dead," said Bechtel.

However, police said she could still lose her arm.

Police did not have an update on the girl's condition Sunday. She had been in very serious condition at Hershey Medical Center.

No charges were filed but police said they were investigating.

Copperhead snake bites are typically not fatal but are extremely painful and may cause extensive scarring and loss of limb use, according to the North Carolina Cooperative Extension of North Carolina State University.

___

On the Net:

North Carolina Cooperative Extension: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests...copperhead.htm

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Well kids, I think we all learned a valuable lesson here

I'm sorry...but what a FREAKING IDIOT! Who brings a snake to school in a shoebox? Especially one that is unidentified by the person who's carrying it around in the shoebox. Ugh...some peoples level stupidity makes me sick. Part of me wishes it was that boy who had gotten bit.

Happiness...consists in giving, and in serving others.
    - Henry Drummond

OMG. I know boys like to scare girls with frogs and snails and stuff, but I thought they grew out of that stage by about 7 or so. This poor girl, I hope she doesn't lose her arm. What a terribly high price to pay for a dumb prank.

My kids elementary JUST (after years) put up a fence on the playground. A teenage girl was bit by a rattlesnake over the summer. I assume snakes can go up a fence (???) but I think it's to keep the kids out of the woods. In any case, my kids have many times run after a ball into the wooded area there. Last year there was a den with coyote pups....school just told the kids not to touch them....UGH!!!!!

Wow sassy, did she survive? and was she provoking the snake or did it come out of no where and just bite her?

That is so scary. It's these kinds of things that happen that makes me so afraid of snakes. It's so easy to mistake a poisonous one for a non-poisonous one if you're not really familiar with them. I feel bad for this girl, she most likely won't ever be the same again and she's so young.

Happiness...consists in giving, and in serving others.
    - Henry Drummond

She definitely needs all of our prayers.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.