Here's my FLEK theory after months of reading and research. Let's tear it apart to s

awillis0513

Reaction score
First of all, I apologize for the length of this post. But I have been reading a lot about FLEK and other subjects that have led me here and I always like to back up my arguments or theories.

I am always left with the nagging feeling that FLEK was not intellectually or socially capable enough to come up with the plan to create her new identity. Her handwriting seemed like that of a child, she made frequent spelling errors, and she was, clearly, not very mature socially. I feel that someone would at least have had to be more savvy to come up with this plan. (If she was, I think she could have came up with a convincing story about her background rather than simply telling her relatives that it was "none of their business."

So, we've explored this angle, a lot. But, the more and more I read about FLEK, the more convinced I am that she came from a polygamous group. Here's why I'm leaning this way:

1. She was clearly lying about her age. I was able to watch "Prophet's Prey", a documentary about the FLDS church and Warren Jeffs. It was clear that having young wifes is a focus for many of the men in these groups. That being said, I think it's not too big of a jump to say that FLEK was conditioned to believe that it was better to be a younger woman than older. While she might have left the group, some beliefs are hard to let go. (For example, my friend is actually the child of an ex-Mormon. While they don't practice the religion, she still keeps a storage in case of the world ending. She logically knows the world isn't going to end tomorrow, but it's almost compulsory.)(http://prophetsprey.org/)
2. She was a vegetarian. Many strict Mormons are vegetarian due to verses in the "Word of Wisdom" that say that meat is to be eaten sparingly. Oddly, Warren Jeffs typically fed himself large cuts of meat while giving his followers only beans. (http://religionnews.com/2014/01/20/mormons-vegetarians/) She also claimed to suffer from bulimia, which could show that she had control issues with food. Many individuals who suffer from malnutrition can later be ravenous with any available food resources.
3. She was a stripper at one time. This could be entirely coincidental, but Flora Jessop (who escaped the group in 1986) did become a stipper to support herself after leaving. Also, given that these women are taught that sex can be currency in a house full of many wives, it would be understandable. Also, this occupation could be why FLEK had her breasts enhanced. (http://listverse.com/2014/04/19/10-polygamist-wives-who-escaped-unbelievable-abuse/)
4. She had long hands and was tall. One trait I've noticed being dominant in many pictures of polygamous group members are their height, long limbs, and bigger hands. One notable example is Jacqueline Lebaron (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...4-years-murders-ordered-father-jail-cell.html). There also seems to be a trait of having a long, narrow nose. You see these traits show in not only members of the groups, but also Warren Jeffs and family. (I know it was mentioned that she could have had a nose job, but I feel like the bend in her nose would have been fixed. I believe this was from some sort of accident or abuse in which she broke her nose.
5. She had a miscarriage when trying to conceive. Elissa Wall writes in her book, “Stolen Innocence”, that she had four miscarriages and one stillbirth by the time she was 17. Miscarriages are prevalent amongst women in these groups perhaps due to years of inbreeding. I know this can also be explained by her age, but it’s something worth noting. (https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/sep/07/women)
6. One explanation for her health issues could be Fumarase deficiency. Her symptoms and ailments are similar to many that are seen exclusively in the polygamous community. While Fumarase can look far more extreme, she actually seems to experience some of the same issues as Warren Jeffs, himself. This ailment is presented with long limbs, large hands, developmental issues, and involuntary movements. Jeffs, himself, claims to have seizures (perhaps like the tics of someone who has been diagnosed with Tourette’s syndrome or another disorder).
7. Ex-FLDS members have long run a “underground railroad” for women and children looking to leave the group. I recently looked up the specs of the Boise address that was first used by FLEK. This is a home in a suburb that had approximately 2,400 square feet of space. (Plus, another detached building.) I don’t think that FLEK could afford a space like this. However, there are names of a few other women around the same age as FLEK that show up on the address report, along with the names of the couple that owned the property for many years. I don’t know this for sure, but I have a hunch that these women could have been here to hideout. Perhaps the owners were good Samaritans that did this on the downlow to help women. They appear to have been very civic minded, and spent a lot of time giving back through their church and business. IMO. (http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/2015/03/the-flds-cult-is-unraveling/)
8. She was into the genealogy of her in-laws, but clearly didn’t want to spend a lot of time with them. Genealogy is clearly a big deal to not only FLDS members, but many other Mormons. Many women receive a cedar chest to preserve their family’s history. I think that genealogy was a hobby FLEK still embraced.
9. Ex-polygamist women speak often of having no identity within the group. This pretty much describes FLEK's past.

There's much else that led me to this conclusion, but I won't list it all. I will say, I think she could also have been from the group in Bountiful, BC, which would possibly explain why her DNA isn't hitting as a familial match to some FLDS members who are convicted felons. Also, there is apparently 10% of followers that aren't intrarelated.

My belief in FLEK being from an abusive/traumatic situation was first driven by the fact that she changed her identity in the 80s, but not to avoid bankruptcy in the 90s. If she was that good herself, why wouldn't she have?

Jennifer Perkins used to prosecute securities and insurance fraud in Texas. FLEK's note also has a Colorado number that matches an law firm that represented those charged with such fraud. I'm currently in the securities industry and I can say that many of these groups get taken down by the money-laundering they do to keep their organization running or this type of fraud. She may have been communicating with a family member who was facing an investigation (perhaps an excommunicated member from the 1980s).

Also, most Mormons don't drink caffeine or tea, but FLDS communities had left the LDS church when these rules became more strict. Apparently, they drink plenty of coffee and even alcohol, and probably tea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I don't know enough to critique..with citations you've got an MA thesis in the works. Sounds plausible, luck be with you.

First of all, I apologize for the length of this post. But I have been reading a lot about FLEK and other subjects that have led me here and I always like to back up my arguments or theories.

I am always left with the nagging feeling that FLEK was not intellectually or socially capable enough to come up with the plan to create her new identity. Her handwriting seemed like that of a child, she made frequent spelling errors, and she was, clearly, not very mature socially. I feel that someone would at least have had to be more savvy to come up with this plan. (If she was, I think she could have came up with a convincing story about her background rather than simply telling her relatives that it was "none of their business."

So, we've explored this angle, a lot. But, the more and more I read about FLEK, the more convinced I am that she came from a polygamous group. Here's why I'm leaning this way:

1. She was clearly lying about her age. I was able to watch "Prophet's Prey", a documentary about the FLDS church and Warren Jeffs. It was clear that having young wifes is a focus for many of the men in these groups. That being said, I think it's not too big of a jump to say that FLEK was conditioned to believe that it was better to be a younger woman than older. While she might have left the group, some beliefs are hard to let go. (For example, my friend is actually the child of an ex-Mormon. While they don't practice the religion, she still keeps a storage in case of the world ending. She logically knows the world isn't going to end tomorrow, but it's almost compulsory.)(http://prophetsprey.org/)
2. She was a vegetarian. Many strict Mormons are vegetarian due to verses in the "Word of Wisdom" that say that meat is to be eaten sparingly. Oddly, Warren Jeffs typically fed himself large cuts of meat while giving his followers only beans. (http://religionnews.com/2014/01/20/mormons-vegetarians/) She also claimed to suffer from bulimia, which could show that she had control issues with food. Many individuals who suffer from malnutrition can later be ravenous with any available food resources.
3. She was a stripper at one time. This could be entirely coincidental, but Flora Jessop (who escaped the group in 1986) did become a stipper to support herself after leaving. Also, given that these women are taught that sex can be currency in a house full of many wives, it would be understandable. Also, this occupation could be why FLEK had her breasts enhanced. (http://listverse.com/2014/04/19/10-polygamist-wives-who-escaped-unbelievable-abuse/)
4. She had long hands and was tall. One trait I've noticed being dominant in many pictures of polygamous group members are their height, long limbs, and bigger hands. One notable example is Jacqueline Lebaron (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...4-years-murders-ordered-father-jail-cell.html). There also seems to be a trait of having a long, narrow nose. You see these traits show in not only members of the groups, but also Warren Jeffs and family. (I know it was mentioned that she could have had a nose job, but I feel like the bend in her nose would have been fixed. I believe this was from some sort of accident or abuse in which she broke her nose.
5. She had a miscarriage when trying to conceive. Elissa Wall writes in her book, “Stolen Innocence”, that she had four miscarriages and one stillbirth by the time she was 17. Miscarriages are prevalent amongst women in these groups perhaps due to years of inbreeding. I know this can also be explained by her age, but it’s something worth noting. (https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/sep/07/women)
6. One explanation for her health issues could be Fumarase deficiency. Her symptoms and ailments are similar to many that are seen exclusively in the polygamous community. While Fumarase can look far more extreme, she actually seems to experience some of the same issues as Warren Jeffs, himself. This ailment is presented with long limbs, large hands, developmental issues, and involuntary movements. Jeffs, himself, claims to have seizures (perhaps like the tics of someone who has been diagnosed with Tourette’s syndrome or another disorder).
7. Ex-FLDS members have long run a “underground railroad” for women and children looking to leave the group. I recently looked up the specs of the Boise address that was first used by FLEK. This is a home in a suburb that had approximately 2,400 square feet of space. (Plus, another detached building.) I don’t think that FLEK could afford a space like this. However, there are names of a few other women around the same age as FLEK that show up on the address report, along with the names of the couple that owned the property for many years. I don’t know this for sure, but I have a hunch that these women could have been here to hideout. Perhaps the owners were good Samaritans that did this on the downlow to help women. They appear to have been very civic minded, and spent a lot of time giving back through their church and business. IMO. (http://www.patheos.com/blogs/daylightatheism/2015/03/the-flds-cult-is-unraveling/)
8. She was into the genealogy of her in-laws, but clearly didn’t want to spend a lot of time with them. Genealogy is clearly a big deal to not only FLDS members, but many other Mormons. Many women receive a cedar chest to preserve their family’s history. I think that genealogy was a hobby FLEK still embraced.
9. Ex-polygamist women speak often of having no identity within the group. This pretty much describes FLEK's past.

There's much else that led me to this conclusion, but I won't list it all. I will say, I think she could also have been from the group in Bountiful, BC, which would possibly explain why her DNA isn't hitting as a familial match to some FLDS members who are convicted felons. Also, there is apparently 10% of followers that aren't intrarelated.

My belief in FLEK being from an abusive/traumatic situation was first driven by the fact that she changed her identity in the 80s, but not to avoid bankruptcy in the 90s. If she was that good herself, why wouldn't she have?

Jennifer Perkins used to prosecute securities and insurance fraud in Texas. FLEK's note also has a Colorado number that matches an law firm that represented those charged with such fraud. I'm currently in the securities industry and I can say that many of these groups get taken down by the money-laundering they do to keep their organization running or this type of fraud. She may have been communicating with a family member who was facing an investigation (perhaps an excommunicated member from the 1980s).

Also, most Mormons don't drink caffeine or tea, but FLDS communities had left the LDS church when these rules became more strict. Apparently, they drink plenty of coffee and even alcohol, and probably tea.

awilis, I'm sorry you did all that reading and writing about FLEK. as Laughing mentioned above, she has been identified.
No one has been able to fill in the blanks about a lot things in her life, but at least a mystery for two families has been solved.

Oops, thanks Laughing, you are correct. I don't follow everything, just in spurts. PWO--Posting Whilst Old.

PWO, me, too! :laughing:

I followed the FLEK story closely & your earlier response was of course listed in New Posts, I had to see what's up!

Her story as recorded here shows great determination, teamwork, creativity, resourcefulness, and respect for the families involved. Great to be here at WebSleuths!

Hi, I wrote this months before the discovery and it was just posted. I’m not sure why. The actual identity shocked me in how simple it seemed.

That's so strange, I just realized that you wrote the post in 2016!! Must have been as much of a surprise to you as it was to the rest of us :)

So, she is not the only person this happened to.

I listened to a really well presented podcast that explained cases of a few other people with very, very similar stories as her.

They were all eventually linked back to a book printed in the (70s I think) that had specific instructions about identity erasing and beginning again.

According to the podcast, more than 70,000 people have been linked to this book and have similar stories to these two.

This book is discussed extensively in the FLEK threads.

51Z+7stsO4L._SL350_.jpg

How to Disappear Completely and Never Be... book by Doug Richmond

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member