OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #19

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlcya

Old and Re-Tired Websleuth
Reaction score
ATTENTION - Please read the Mod Notes included in this post and thank the post signifying that you have done so before proceeding to post your thoughts on this case.

Ohio Shooting: Latest on Pike County murders

Wednesday, May 4, 2016

PIKE COUNTY, Ohio — No arrests have been made in the shooting investigation of eight execution-style killings of members of the Rhoden family last month in Pike County, Ohio.

[...]

The latest in the investigation in Pike County was that vehicles were towed on Tuesday from the various crime scenes as evidence, confirmed Jill Del Greco, a spokeswoman for the Attorney General.
There’s been no word on how many vehicles were being towed away or where they were taken

Ohio family massacre highlights rural region’s ties to illegal drugs
POSTED 6:00 PM, MAY 1, 2016, BY CNNWIRE

23-pike-county-mass-shooting.w529.h352.jpg

link

The gruesome slayings have rattled this southeast corner of Appalachian Ohio, a region that culturally identifies more closely with neighboring Kentucky and West Virginia than the state’s northern cities.

[...]

Adding to the shock was the discovery of hundreds of illegal marijuana plants on Rhoden’s property, highlighting the region’s dependency on the illegal drug trade as jobs in agriculture and timber have dried up.

Audio 911 Calls

PRESSER: APRIL 27, 2016

MOD NOTE: You may discuss the criminal records of the family members who were murdered. In light of the grow operations they may be very relevant. Please refrain from posting criminal histories of other individuals who have not been named persons of interest or suspects by LE or simply because they have the last name of the victims or may be a distant cousin or aunt. Stick with the victims for now. That may change as more develops on this case.

MOD NOTE: You may discuss what is covered in the main stream media regarding the custody of minor children. If posting snips from articles regarding the children please redact their names. These babes are innocents. One day they will google their names or those of their parents. And plenty will come up. Let's be respectful of them and the catastrophic loss they have suffered at such tender ages. Thanks.

MOD NOTE: DO NOT SLEUTH STILL LIVING FAMILY MEMBERS' FACEBOOK PAGES AND POST ABOUT IT HERE. Just don't mention it. Period.

MOD NOTE:
Leave the politics, both national and local, at the door. There is no room for them here.

Rules Etiquette & Information

CASE NOTES (courtesy of cujenn81) this link contains locations, distance, victim info, relationships and more.

MEDIA LINKS NO DISCUSSION

CASE MAP (courtesy of K.L.Puyallup)

Thread #1
Thread #2
Thread #3
Thread #4
Thread #5
Thread #6
Thread #7
Thread #8
Thread #9
Thread #10
Thread #11
Thread #12
Thread #13
Thread #14
Thread #15
Thread #16
Thread #17
Thread #18

Victims
Rhodens-all-2.jpg

link:rose:

From left, top row: Christopher Rhoden Jr., Christopher Rhoden Sr., Dana Rhoden, Clarence “Frankie” Rhoden; bottom row: Hanna Rhoden, Hannah Gilley, Kenneth Rhoden, Gary Rhoden

We have discussed why the murderer(s) chose this date to commit this crime
We have also discussed possibility of LE involvement
Many things came to play around the the time of the murders...
Resignations, allegations of sexual misconduct, allegations of corruption, deputies arrested for trafficking drugs in prison, etc and some have worked together, or known each other for years.
These issues cross state and county lines.

Sheriff Reader was on vacation , IMO the perps were aware of this

2 Chilicothe police officers resign - online article published 4/21/2016

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/s...resign-sexual-assault-investigation/83353678/

Numerous Pike County deputies in trouble / former Sheriff resigned

http://www.wcpo.com/news/state/stat...deputies-run-afoul-of-the-law-in-recent-years

"None of these deputies are implicated in the Rhoden case. WCPO wanted to know if the arrests point to general problems in the department. The sheriff at the time of these incidents, Henderson, resigned last year"

If this is tied to the cars... Could they have purchased a car at auction that was full of product meant for someone else?
Possibly said car was just a way to transport product (hidden compartments) and never meant to reach the auction?

http://www.wdrb.com/story/30047174/former-bullitt-sheriffs-deputy-indicted-on-drug-charges-linked-to-mexican-cartel

LOUISVILLE, Ky., (WDRB) -- He is a life-long resident of Bullitt County, a “good ol’ boy” who is married and owns two car lots, his attorney says.
And he was a special deputy with the Bullitt County Sheriff’s Department.

Everything MOO with some links provided.

Somebody enlighten me! I tried to bring up the story of the Bullitt county site listed above, and rec'd an error 404. I'm not familiar with this, so don't have any idea how this might relate to the Rhodens. Thx

Interesting case.

No evident indication that it might have a direct bearing on the Pike County murders, but it is illustrative that C-word involvement in middle-America drug trafficking exists and that the C-word connections don't always look like what some folks may associate with the C-word.

At their essence, C-word trafficking organizations and their associates are organized crime. It's all about business.

And wouldn't you know it, chickens make a cameo appearance in the Mattingly case.

Also indicted was Eddie Whitfill, described in court documents the caretaker of a Breckenridge County farm where Mattingly allegedly raised and sold chickens.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/31266188/...puty-others-indicted-on-federal-drug-charges2

In case anyone is wondering, that federal case is currently set for trial on August 1. Recently, a federal judge in California cleared the way for evidence gathered under a wiretap to be admissible. Possibly that ruling may be appealed by the defense and could delay start of that trial. I didn't look that far.

Very good articles on Ken. men. I didn't see where Ohio was mentioned. How far is Bullitt county from Pike county? And I will never understand how people in jail can carry out illegal business right under the nose of LE. Unless this guy was having a jailer paid to play dumb. Still, seems like he would need to have access to a phone, and I believe that pay phones in cells automatically are recorded.

Very good articles on Ken. men. I didn't see where Ohio was mentioned. How far is Bullitt county from Pike county? And I will never understand how people in jail can carry out illegal business right under the nose of LE. Unless this guy was having a jailer paid to play dumb. Still, seems like he would need to have access to a phone, and I believe that pay phones in cells automatically are recorded.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/08/ohio_prison_system_sees_spike.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio — The fastest growing piece of contraband in Ohio prisons isn't a shank, a pint of hooch or a gram of cocaine.
It's a cell phone.
State prison records show that for the first seven months of this year, corrections officers have seized 319 cell phones from inmates at the state's 28 prisons. Guards found 340 all of last year, the records show. The phones nabbed this year mark a 153 percent spike over the 126 recovered in 2010.

Bullitt County is just south of Louisville, Kentucky. The county seat is about 212 miles from Piketon, OH.

Aside from contraband cellphones in jails and prisons, messages are often transmitted in coded language on recorded jailhouse/prison calls that often go through a person functioning as a communication hub. This is a very common practice for prison gangs as they conduct business inside and outside.

Sometimes, but perhaps less often, information is transmitted under the cover of client-attorney privilege. Some, but certainly not all and hopefully most, criminal attorneys are criminal attorneys. This can happen without the explicit cooperation of an attorney and sometimes with a wink and a nod.

Investigators can be surprisingly savvy about interpreting coded recorded conversations. Sometimes they are even listening in real-time.

Bullitt County is just south of Louisville, Kentucky. The county seat is about 212 miles from Piketon, OH.

Aside from contraband cellphones in jails and prisons, messages are often transmitted in coded language on recorded jailhouse/prison calls that often go through a person functioning as a communication hub. This is a very common practice for prison gangs as they conduct business inside and outside.

Sometimes, but perhaps less often, information is transmitted under the cover of client-attorney privilege. Some, but certainly not all and hopefully not most, criminal attorneys are criminal attorneys. This can happen without the explicit cooperation of an attorney and sometimes with a wink and a nod.

Investigators can be surprisingly savvy about interpreting coded recorded conversations. Sometimes they are even listening in real-time.

I think it was about 8 or 9 years ago, before prisoners in Tex. had access to telephones, my son had read an article in the paper about how a visitor gave a cell phone to an inmate, and the creep called the Lt. Governor and threatened to have his daughter raped and murdered! I never heard what happened to him or the person who gave him the phone. Some people just never learn.

Just wondering, I know in Tex. anyway, a person who has been bonded out of jail, regardless of the chg being a misdemeanor or felony must call the bonding co weekly until they go to court. Of course, someone could call from about anywhere, but I would think JJ would pretty much be under the radar to make sure he doesn't end up in Alaska or some other far away place.

Jails/Prisons are their own little cities most times. Anything you want in there, you can pretty much get, if you have something to trade for it. You aren't free to come and go and it is by no means a luxurious life, but, humans adapt to their circumstances, most times, and there's always someone willing to make an extra buck by turning a blind eye.

Just wondering, I know in Tex. anyway, a person who has been bonded out of jail, regardless of the chg being a misdemeanor or felony must call the bonding co weekly until they go to court. Of course, someone could call from about anywhere, but I would think JJ would pretty much be under the radar to make sure he doesn't end up in Alaska or some other far away place.

I have a feeling he's not too far outside Chillicothe. I'd not swear to it, but, that's where I think he's at and they've changed the address so that no one gets any ideas about dishing out their own justice.

Wonder if his wife is standing behind him, or he'll wind up with divorce papers after he goes to prison?! I would hate to think I was trying to raise my child to be a good citizen and have to raise him around a murderer.

Wonder if his wife is standing behind him, or he'll wind up with divorce papers after he goes to prison?! I would hate to think I was trying to raise my child to be a good citizen and have to raise him around a murderer.

While we all have our opinions regarding his actions, this hasn't been brought before the Grand Jury yet.

I think it was about 8 or 9 years ago, before prisoners in Tex. had access to telephones, my son had read an article in the paper about how a visitor gave a cell phone to an inmate, and the creep called the Lt. Governor and threatened to have his daughter raped and murdered! I never heard what happened to him or the person who gave him the phone. Some people just never learn.

That was State Senator John Whitmire whose family was threatened. The prisoner's mother was the person who provided the contraband phone.

She was arrested and charged with a felony. I didn't find her in TDCJ. Possible she has either completed her sentence, received probation due to her age or something, or is dead.

She was a Georgia resident at the time. She had her then 84-year-old mother with her when she was arrested at the airport.

As for Tabler, he received a ten year sentence for having the contraband phone and another ten years on a retaliation charge.

He currently remains on death row at the Polunsky Unit in Livingston on his original 2007 capital murder conviction. He's a piece of work.

http://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/texas-prisons-on-lockdown-after-threatening-phone-calls

I think I saw some reference online to this guy when we were researching the murder of the drug dealer and his girlfriend in KY. The one that the local sheriff in that county felt might be related to the Rhoden murders. Like many of you, I've been reluctant to post much about my suspicions of corrupt LE here, but it's been in the back of my mind since the first days of this horrible story.

As for Grand Jury, remember they're secret. There won't be public mention of anyone called before the Grand Jury in this case until it's work is finished. And that could be quite a while.

At this time It should be evident the reason why that family have been killed. I'm not saying who committed the crimes, but the reason for the crimes. If they not find out it in a few days , I am afraid this will extend for months or years.

There is a nearly forgotten an underrated crime, a 2010 triple crime in Clark county,*Kentucky. Just a suggestion.

This was my opinion five days after the crime. I still think the same. And I still think someone in this case should take a look at Clark County triple murder.

http://www.kentucky.com/news/local/counties/clark-county/article44085438.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member