Found Deceased CO - Joseph Keller, 18, Antonito, 23 July 2015 - #2

0101ABA

Former Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

The teen disappeared on July 23rd while out running in a rural, mountainous area of Colorado.

Joe, who turned 19 the day after he vanished, had traveled from his home in Cleveland, Tennessee to a ranch near Antonito, Colorado with two of his childhood pals.

Keller, an avid runner and swim coach, and his friend Collin Gwaltney, whom he's been close with since kindergarten, took off for a jog about 4:30 that afternoon. The group had arrived in Colorado that morning as part of their cross-county summer adventure.

After about a quarter mile, the two split to run on different paths. They were to meet back at the ranch for dinner, said Gwaltney.

"I took one road up and he didn't follow, which is normal because we run at different paces," Gwaltney told Dateline NBC. "But after two hours passed and he didn't come home, we went out looking."

No one has seen or heard from Keller since.

http://www.nbcnews.com/dateline/weeks-after-teen-vanishes-during-run-still-no-answers-n412306

Find Joe Keller FB Group

Thread #1

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 810
I'm wondering if Joe could have went off trail (possibly to relieve himself) and was bitten by a rattlesnake? Hopefully, the coroner will be able to determine his cause of death.

So sad. Prayers to his family. Rest in peace, Joe. :rose:

I'm wondering if Joe could have went off trail (possibly to relieve himself) and was bitten by a rattlesnake? Hopefully, the coroner will be able to determine his cause of death.

Possible, imo, as this link states:

"Western Rattlesnake"
"Elevation Range:
Upper limit of 7500' to 9500' over most of Colorado."

http://www.dlblanc.com/coloherp/geo/species/specrvi.php

http://www.duderanch.org/listings/rainbowtroutranch-antonito-colorado.html

"Ranch Altitude: 9134 feet"

I hope this will bring the family some peace.

I don't think rattlesnake bites kill instantly, it actually takes several days. Surely if he felt unwell he'd have gone back to the road to hail a vehicle or make his way back to the ranch for help?

Authorities are keeping the details tight to their chest in this one, ie no indication his remains were found at the base of a cliff. In most situations, a fall into a concealed place is the one thing that will prevent a person from getting help or being found by such numerous and diligent search and rescue efforts.

In my area we would consider a bear encounter, but I guess they've been pretty much eliminated in that area.

We did have a missing guy in Australia on WS that apparently had been bitten and died. He was able to leave a message near his truck I believe. Anything is certainly possible. I'm leaning toward more of a sudden cardiac event that could be from any number of reasons.

The Chattanooga Times has a little more info. I'm not able to link it so maybe Treelights you could please to so.

I want to thank WebSleuths for keeping the thread going. All comments was appreciated. We are very sadden by this outcome but at least the Keller's can bring Joe home, where he belongs. The prayers was answered. Healing can begin for the community.

As I end, I also want to thanks Conejo County residents, the support you showed was very kind.

The Chattanooga Times has a little more info. I'm not able to link it so maybe Treelights you could please to so.

I want to thank WebSleuths for keeping the thread going. All comments was appreciated. We are very sadden by this outcome but at least the Keller's can bring Joe home, where he belongs. The prayers was answered. Healing can begin for the community.

As I end, I also want to thanks Conejo County residents, the support you showed was very kind.

Is this the link, ceci?

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...found-colorado-are-their-missing-sons/375082/

Prayers to you, ceci... I know how difficult and sad this has been for Joe's family, friends and community.

Yes now Joe can go home. Peace to you all.

I hope this will bring the family some peace.

I don't think rattlesnake bites kill instantly, it actually takes several days. Surely if he felt unwell he'd have gone back to the road to hail a vehicle or make his way back to the ranch for help?

Authorities are keeping the details tight to their chest in this one, ie no indication his remains were found at the base of a cliff. In most situations, a fall into a concealed place is the one thing that will prevent a person from getting help or being found by such numerous and diligent search and rescue efforts.

In my area we would consider a bear encounter, but I guess they've been pretty much eliminated in that area.

Not that it matters really, but I think Rattlesnake bites can be deadly fairly quickly depending on circumstances. For example, where the bite is, how deep it goes, and how much venom is injected. If the snake gets a good hold they can inject more venom, obviously. So if Joe had been bitten when he was already dehydrated, and his heart rate was probably already somewhat elevated simply due to his body accommodating the higher altitude, the poison may have spread more quickly.

For his sake, if that is what happened, I hope it was fast and he didn't suffer for days.

I'm really sorry that he is gone, but I'm grateful his remains have been found so his family can at least put him to rest and not always wonder where he is.

Not that it matters really, but I think Rattlesnake bites can be deadly fairly quickly depending on circumstances. For example, where the bite is, how deep it goes, and how much venom is injected. If the snake gets a good hold they can inject more venom, obviously. So if Joe had been bitten when he was already dehydrated, and his heart rate was probably already somewhat elevated simply due to his body accommodating the higher altitude, the poison may have spread more quickly.

For his sake, if that is what happened, I hope it was fast and he didn't suffer for days.

I'm really sorry that he is gone, but I'm grateful his remains have been found so his family can at least put him to rest and not always wonder where he is.

Also, I just remembered that Joe has asthma, I think. Am I remembering correctly ? If so, maybe the altitude alone caused an asthma attack he couldn't recover from, or for that matter if he had altitude sickness it could have been that alone. If a snakebite, it could have caused him to go into anaphylactic shock. I wish we could have found an alive Joe, this is too sad. :(

1. How far is this from the ranch?
2. Was this area previously searched?

Yes, Treelights that was the link thank you.

I don't have any information on the whereabouts of Joe's remains. I will post any news. I'm going on the assumption that it was an accident.

I reiterate that Cleveland Tennessee is appreciative of the prayers sent. And to this internet community we are grateful.

Happy that the family will have closure but sad that it seems like not everything that could have been done, was not done. Fly high Joseph 😕

Happy that the family will have closure but sad that it seems like not everything that could have been done, was not done. Fly high Joseph ��

There were searches. Even his family came out.

It will be interesting to find out Exactly where he was found. I know it was said that he was found in Conejos Canyon, Forest SVC RD. 250, around 4 miles west of State Hwy 17.

After all this time, would the ME be able to tell if the remains had been moved (e.g., buried, dug up and placed where they were found to be discovered by someone)?

ETA: In particular, if the remains were moved in the last month or so?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back