MO - 20 y/o breaks into LEO's home w wife & kids there; LEO shoots, kills. July 2016

al66pine

Reaction score
From Tillicum's post several hours ago, http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...12683992&highlight=Tyler+Gebhard#post12683992

"I couldn't find a thread for this but I brought it here because of the facebook/officer topic. Maybe it needs it's own thread?

"An off-duty St. Louis County police officer fatally shot a man as he was trying to enter the officer's home Saturday evening, police said.
Police said the off-duty officer, who was not identified, shot and killed 20-year-old Tyler Gebhard after he threw a 50-pound concrete planter through a window to enter the Lakeshire home, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported.
According to police, Gebhard was known to the family and had recently made online threats toward it and "uninvolved members of the community."
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/10...into-home.html
" July 10, 2016

More info at http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_00c6c2bd-d559-5b78-a8f1-e78187dfa2a6.html
Per his H/S football coach, Gebhard was a good student & good athlete. He was on a college team in 2015, but did not play in any games. Per his uncle, Gebhard "... waged a long battle with bi-polar disorder.... (the family) had to stay on him to take his medication."

^ pub.~7 hrs ago & already 1300 comments to that article. Thanks, Tillicum, for bringing this story to W/S for discussion.

RIP Tyler Gebhard. Thoughts & prayers to his family, friends, & community.
Thought & prayers to LEO & family whose home was invaded.

What a frightening thing to happen.....I don't see how the officer could have reacted any differently. Can't imagine having a concrete planter thrown through a glass door......that must have been terrifying for this family. Dang.

From the same article:
Belmar said Gebhard tossed the planter through the back window after being rebuffed by the officer's wife at the front door. She hid with other family members, including a toddler and an infant, as the off-duty officer went to check on the disturbance.

Odd that no one wants to discuss this case.

What a frightening thing to happen.....I don't see how the officer could have reacted any differently. Can't imagine having a concrete planter thrown through a glass door......that must have been terrifying for this family. Dang.

The same thing happened in my apartment building. Someone, dare I say black, threw a concrete paving stone through a window in the apartment below mine - shook the entire building. The perp was mad because the lady had reported him/them to the police.

I wonder does he have a record? It seems from what little I've read that he was a good kid at one time with a lot of support, loved ones and opportunities. Such a handsome young man :( I'm not going to get into a debate about BLM but I hope they realize how some of their messages could affect people who are mentally unstable, some being those they are trying to help.

<modsnip>

Anyhow, to me, the issue is not his race (which is mixed), but his mental health.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_00c6c2bd-d559-5b78-a8f1-e78187dfa2a6.html
&#8220;But Gebhard waged a long battle with bi-polar disorder, according to his uncle.

"He was like a normal 20-year-old, (the family) had to stay on him to take his medication," said Brogan, also of Waterloo.

The uncle said the disorder worsened during Gebhard's first year at Southeast Missouri State University in Cape Girardeau. The 6-foot-1, 220-pound Gebhard was listed as a walk-on fullback on the Redhawks' 2015 spring football roster, but didn't play in any games, according to the Southeast Missourian newspaper.

"He had a lot of mental problems the last few months," Brogan said. "A lot of difficulties in life."&#8221;​

From the article, it appears his social media posts were in support of LE

He also posted a photo of a black and white child hugging with the words: 'Children will play with everyone. Until a parent tells them not to.'

Gebhard posted a social media tribute earlier in the day that said: 'Light up Facebook with this blue candle for all our fallen officers.'
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rgument-Black-Lives-Matter.html#ixzz4E88UDxxq
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Such a shame for all involved. It sounds like this young man had some serious mental health issues and wasn't taking his medication.

Sad for everyone involved. I would've done exactly the same thing the officer did. Good kid or not, black or white, if someone who has threatened your family throws a 50-lb concrete planter through your front window to get to them, you do what you can to protect your family. I really don't think this had anything to do with BLM, sounds more personal to me.

^ Some thoughtful comments above. TYVM.

Some aspects of these articles puzzle me. Boiled down to actions at the time, that day, per MSM articles:
- a man knocked on residential door;
- female resident opened door, refused to let him enter;
- the man threw 50 pounds of concrete thru glass door and it landed underneath a high chair {presumably unoccupied? fortunately}
-
female resident took their 2 children away from door toward bedroom & "struggled to escape" thru window, w her mother;
- man invading, entered residence, got ~10 feet inside, per interview/presser w StLCo Pol chief, http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_00c6c2bd-d559-5b78-a8f1-e78187dfa2a6.html updated 11 hrs ago.
- confronted by invader, male resident warned him to 'get down, get down' and when invader failed to comply, shot him.
- invader died.

What difference does it make that, if true as reported:
- these 2 men had met thru church,
- expressed different ideas about BLM, political issues, what-ev?
- had disputes on FB?
- invader was biracial?
- male resident was LEO?
- male resident was white, black, Hispanic, biracial or ? If it's been reported, I've missed it.
Okay, call ^ context or background, previous actions, relationship history, what-ev.

If homeowner/LEO is investigated for possible PD internal discipline or criminal charges re this shooting, which, if any of above, is relevant or irrelevant? IDK but would like to read the thoughts of other W/S members. Thx in adv.

^ Some thoughtful comments above. TYVM.

Some aspects of these articles puzzle me. Boiled down to actions at the time, that day, per MSM articles:
- the man threw 50 pounds of concrete thru glass door and it landed underneath a high chair {presumably unoccupied? fortunately}
-
female resident took their 2 children away from door toward bedroom & "struggled to escape" thru window, w her mother;
- man invading, entered residence, got ~10 feet inside, per interview/presser w StLCo Pol chief, http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_00c6c2bd-d559-5b78-a8f1-e78187dfa2a6.html updated 11 hrs ago.
- confronted by invader, male resident warned him to 'get down, get down' and when invader failed to comply, shot him.
- invader died.

- had disputes on FB?
- invader was biracial?
- male resident was LEO?
- male resident was white, black, Hispanic, biracial or ? If it's been reported, I've missed it.
Okay, call ^ context or background, previous actions, relationship history, what-ev.

If homeowner/LEO is investigated for possible PD internal discipline or criminal charges re this shooting, which, if any of above, is relevant or irrelevant? IDK but would like to read the thoughts of other W/S members. Thx in adv.

I would think everything is relevant but I am not quite sure I understand your question. Sorry.

All shootings by police officers warrant an internal investigation to see if they broke protocol or broke any laws. Imo, this police officer no matter his race will be not charged. When the investigation is completed I believe it will be ruled justifiable. Especially if it is true this man had already been threatening the officer and others. It shows he came looking for trouble when he came there.

Sad for everyone involved. I would've done exactly the same thing the officer did. Good kid or not, black or white, if someone who has threatened your family throws a 50-lb concrete planter through your front window to get to them, you do what you can to protect your family. I really don't think this had anything to do with BLM, sounds more personal to me.

I am just thankful the baby wasn't in the highchair at the time. 50 pounds of concrete could have killed them instantly if they had been struck.:( I cant even begin to imagine how fearful the family had to be.

I don't know, but it does seem to have happened simply because each other disagreed on the BLM movement. So it didn't directly involve BLM but it was that subject that incited this man to come over to this officer's home wishing to do him harm.

Its sad that people cant even have opposing opinions without someone wanting to take it to the next level and act out violently.

I have been reading on several social media sites and I don't think the color of the officer matters because it seems officers of all races are getting death threats. Even PC David Brown said he has received a death threat.

Pure sensationalism that we know the mixed-race status of the home invader and the job of the homeowner.

Anyone throwing a large object through a window of my home & entering that way is unlikely to hear "get down, get down" before I start firing.

Like Sandy Hook, like the Colorado theater, this is muc more about the availability of mental health services without stigma in this country and much, much less about the availability or guns.

How about a campaign for Blue Lives Matter?

I wonder what his intentions were as I have not read that he was armed. I feel the shooting was justified, it is just so sad though. Like others stated, it seems his mental state led to this tragic incident.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Pure sensationalism that we know the mixed-race status of the home invader and the job of the homeowner.

Anyone throwing a large object through a window of my home & entering that way is unlikely to hear "get down, get down" before I start firing.

Like Sandy Hook, like the Colorado theater, this is muc more about the availability of mental health services without stigma in this country and much, much less about the availability or guns.

How about a campaign for Blue Lives Matter?

I have actually been overjoyed to see many cities marching in their streets with signs showing they fully back their police officers. Its about time, and I think some may even be there tomorrow in Dallas when the memorial is happening.

In one town close to me they are sold out of yard signs "Back the Blue.'

Since the Dallas massacre I have seen way more people than ever before on social media sites proudly supporting law enforcement. I hope each and every police officer at some time or another realizes they really do have a huge support base and sees all the support thousands are giving on these sites. More and more support goes up every hour. They aren't out there alone with no one caring about them or their safety like they all have to think sometime.

IMO

I would think everything is relevant but I am not quite sure I understand your question. Sorry.

All shootings by police officers warrant an internal investigation to see if they broke protocol or broke any laws. Imo, this police officer no matter his race will be not charged. When the investigation is completed I believe it will be ruled justifiable. Especially if it is true this man had already been threatening the officer and others. It shows he came looking for trouble when he came there.

I should have done a better job on wording my question in my post.* Sorry.

My point is - once BLM, invader's race, shooter's race & shooter being LEO, are removed from the chronology, would prosecutor bring crim charges against the homeowner for fatally shooting invader? Seems like regular old, self defense shooting, imo, so no prosecution. Maybe I'm looking it too simplistically, should think about it further. IDK.

-
- man invading, entered residence, got ~10 feet inside, per interview/presser w StLCo Pol chief, http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/c...187dfa2a6.html updated 11 hrs ago.
- invader died.

- had disputes on FB?
- invader was biracial?
- male resident was LEO?

Update re July 9, 2016 break-in & shooting
Prosecutor's Feb 2 letter* to St L Co. PD Chief notes his office reviewed various doc's, 911 recordings, witness interviews, lab reports, photos, etc, etc, etc. Also had requested the deceased's fam - thru their atty - provide any psychiatric diagnosis or care or medication provided in the weeks leading up to the death, but"... family declined to provide any information, indicating that the investigation should not include his medical history."bbm Letter concludes no further action is required.

* more at pdf of letter
http://www.stltoday.com/robert-mccu...pdf_5b3aea94-c9ac-5dc5-95c1-20f7c8332de5.html

Feb 15 MSM
"County Prosecutor ... office has concluded that an off-duty St. Louis County police officer acted in self-defense last summer when he fatally shot an intruder at his home in Lakeshire, a small city in South County.
... Tyler Gebhard, 20, had violently broken in, was impaired by marijuana, was known to have mental illness and had spoken of killing police."
"His stepfather told police Gebhard’s behavior at times “had spiraled out of control,” the report says. Gephard’s family last had contact with him July 8, when he told a stepsister that “this is the last time you’re ever going to see me. I’m headed to Dallas to start killing cops.” (Five Dallas police officers had been slain by a sniper the day before.)"
bbm

^ http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_81deb7b9-7f64-5028-b0a3-abfb38b182df.html Feb 15

Regardless, a sad, sad, sad situation for all involved. Very sad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back