1077 users online (205 members and 872 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

TN - Coy Hundley, 38, shot to death, Alcoa, 7 Oct 2003

A woman acquitted of first-degree murder in the shooting of a man she believed raped her daughter is now on trial for second-degree murder.

Both trials stem from Kimberly Cunningham's admitted shooting of 39-year-old Coy Hundley in 2003.

Cunningham has said she shot Hundley after her daughter told her the man had raped her.

According to testimony in the first trial Cunningham confronted Hundley with the rape allegation. But he reportedly laughed at her and asked what she was going to do about it.
    http://www.wmcstations.com/Global/story.asp?S=4025114
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Excuse me, but why is this woman being tried twice? I mean she deserves to be punished for murdering the dude, but this is double jeopardy.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    I can't say I wouldn't be tempted to do the same thing, especially if challenged by the scum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeana (DP)
    Excuse me, but why is this woman being tried twice? I mean she deserves to be punished for murdering the dude, but this is double jeopardy.
    I wondered about that too.
    Would the fact that there were different charges be involved? First trial was for 1st degree, and the second was for 2 nd degree. That is the only thing that I could figure out.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    That confuses me, too. Was second degree not offered as an option in the first trial?

She is not subjected to double jeopardy. She was tried and acquitted of first degree murder(inentional, pre-planned).

But now to avoid double jeopardy, they are trying her for second degree murder, so they are not trying her for the same charge, just the same occurance.

Jeopardy would be attached if she was re-tried on first degree murder charges(which will never happen), because the Prosection would no be allowed to file charges and the defence would utter "double jeopardy is attached".

Hope this helps.........

Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw
    She is not subjected to double jeopardy. She was tried and acquitted of first degree murder(inentional, pre-planned).

But now to avoid double jeopardy, they are trying her for second degree murder, so they are not trying her for the same charge, just the same occurance.

Jeopardy would be attached if she was re-tried on first degree murder charges(which will never happen), because the Prosection would no be allowed to file charges and the defence would utter "double jeopardy is attached".

Hope this helps.........

Wouldn't it save everyone a whole lot of time, trouble, expense, etc., if they had just allowed 2nd degree as an option???

Wouldn't it save everyone a whole lot of time, trouble, expense, etc., if they had just allowed 2nd degree as an option???
    They probably thought they had a slam dunk on the first degree. Filing on the second degree was probably only thought of when she was aquitted of 1st degree. Wonder if it is too late for me to establish residence there and get on the jury? I know the correct way to vote in this situation.

I think it's a shame to go after this woman twice. It seems the prosecution should be spending their time on other cases. I'd probably do the same thing she did. The justice systems sometime seems so screwed up to me. In one case they want to send a mother to prison for protecting her child. Whether shooting the guy after the rape and not during the rape doesn't make a difference to me. JMO. In other cases they go after the mother for NOT protecting her children, as in the case on another thread where she got 110 well deserved years in prison.

After going to trial once, they should just offer her deal to a lesser charge, instead of making her go through another trial. I am sure her and her family have been through enough. Prayers for her and her daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae
    I think it's a shame to go after this woman twice. It seems the prosecution should be spending their time on other cases. I'd probably do the same thing she did. The justice systems sometime seems so screwed up to me. In one case they want to send a mother to prison for protecting her child. Whether shooting the guy after the rape and not during the rape doesn't make a difference to me. JMO. In other cases they go after the mother for NOT protecting her children, as in the case on another thread where she got 110 well deserved years in prison.
    She murdered an innocent man!

Quote Originally Posted by jannuncutt
    She murdered an innocent man!
    An innocent man? Innocent of what?

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    An innocent man? Innocent of what?
    Lord have mercy - I just reread the article. I, obviously, misread it the first time. For some reason, I had it in my head that she thought he raped her daughter but, he didn't. Don't know where the heck I got that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That darn fine print!

Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    That darn fine print!

My favorite part is that she unloaded the gun and reloaded and shot four more times. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast