1099 users online (221 members and 878 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

MI - Kristy Malter, 21, dies, Oakland Co. warns of meningitis threat at gym, Jul 2016

Oakland Co. officials warn of meningitis threat at gym

Ian Thibodeau, The Detroit News 9:26 p.m. EDT July 13, 2016

The Oakland County health department said 219 children who attended a day camp this month at a Lifetime Fitness gym in Rochester Hills may have been exposed to bacterial meningitis from an infected worker.

Officials are notifying parents of the children who attended the day camp between July 1 and 11 of the potentially deadly disease and urging them to be assessed by a doctor and be put on antibiotics, said George Miller, director of Oakland County Department of Health and Human Services.

They said the employee had worked only in the day camp and did not work in other parts of the gym.

“It’s a lot of people and it’s also children,” Miller said in a late-night news conference at the county’s South Oakland Health Center in Southfield called to alert the public. “We’re being diligent about it.” ...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...reak/87062666/

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Macomb County day camp worker diagnosed with bacterial meningitis

By MitchHotts, mitch.hotts@macombdaily.com, @mhotts on Twitter

Posted: 07/13/16, 10:07 PM EDT | Updated: 2 hrs ago

A Macomb County woman working for an Oakland County fitness center has been diagnosed with bacterial meningitis and health officers in both counties are urging anyone -- especially children -- who may have come in contact with her to seek medical attention.

It’s not known how many people are affected so far in the outbreak.

The 21-year-old woman, a student at Central Michigan University, was working in a day camp for Lifetime Fitness in Rochester Hills, according to friends. She cannot be identified due to privacy laws regarding health information.

“It’s very important that anyone with children in that camp should go to a pediatrician for an evaluation and be put on some medication,” said Bill Ridella, Macomb County health officer...

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/gener...ial-meningitis

Mom upset with Life Time Fitness' handling of meningitis threat

By Halston Herrera - Digital news editor , Lauren Podell - Reporter

Posted: 10:24 AM, July 14, 2016
    Updated: 12:33 PM, July 14, 2016

ROCHESTER HILLS, Mich. - Melanie Hatzfeld got a voicemail Wednesday night that no parent wants to get: The Health Department warned her that her 6-year-old son might have been exposed to a life-threatening bacterial infection.

Her son, Stone, is among more than 200 children attending a summer camp at the Life Time Fitness gym in Rochester Hills, where a camp counselor was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis.

Hatzfeld, a working mom, said her son goes every day to the camp...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/health...ingitis-threat

Channel 4 (WDIV) 4:00 news update: Meningitis patient identified. Initials KM (I won't post name). Hospitalized, on life support.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/health...n-life-support
    Last edited by BetteDavisEyes; 07-14-2016 at 04:19 PM.

Young woman who worked at Life Time Fitness dies after contracting bacterial meningitis

By: Aaron Baskerville

Posted: 2:32 PM, Jul 14, 2016
    Updated: 8 mins ago

WXYZ) - A young woman who was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis has passed away. Loved ones have taken to social media to remember the life of Kristy Malter.

Malter worked at the Life Time Fitness gym in Rochester Hills. She was a day camp employee. Malter was also a student at Central Michigan University...

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/oakl...ial-meningitis

Lifetime Fitness Camp Counselor Dies After Contracting Bacterial Meningitis

July 14, 2016 3:01 PM

UTICA (WWJ) – A young metro Detroit woman who contracted bacterial meningitis died Thursday morning, the Macomb County Medical Examiner has confirmed.

Messages on social media offered condolences to 21-year-old Kristy Malter’s family, one writing: “I am so sorry for the passing of Kristy; my heart is aching for you all. She is now wrapped in Jesus’ arms, suffering no more. Heaven now has a young, beautiful and vibrant angel. My love and prayers are with all of you...

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/07/...al-meningitis/

I can only imagine how frightened the parents of campers must be!

There still seem to be conflicting accounts of KM's status. Some local media sources have confirmed her passing while others report that KM is on life support. If there is definite news today, I will post. I live in Oakland County, so this is a major local news item. I belong to an area gym but not LTF. It's baffling to me that Lifetime Fitness has not issued an official statement about the case Where did KM contract bacterial meningitis?

Quote Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
    There still seem to be conflicting accounts of KM's status. Some local media sources have confirmed her passing while others report that KM is on life support. If there is definite news today, I will post. I live in Oakland County, so this is a major local news item. I belong to an area gym but not LTF. It's baffling to me that Lifetime Fitness has not issued an official statement about the case Where did KM contract bacterial meningitis?
    Officially declared dead at 8:03 am on Thursday.
    http://www.cm-life.com/article/2016/...dies-july-2016
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Officially declared dead at 8:03 am on Thursday.
    http://www.cm-life.com/article/2016/...dies-july-2016
    Not sure why local media can't get this right. Even the Oakland Press that specifically covers Oakland County news is still indicating that KM is on life support.

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/gener...n-life-support
    Last edited by BetteDavisEyes; 07-15-2016 at 11:07 AM.

Not sure why local media can't get this right. Even the Oakland Press that specifically covers Oakland County news is still indicating that KM is on life support.
    I guess one could be dead (specifically brain dead) and on life support at the same time. Maybe she was declared brain dead (which is the same as legally dead) but life support hasn't been turned off yet?
    Just my opinion

As of their latest update at 5:00PM, WDIV is reporting that KM remains on life support as her family considers organ donation. I suspect that KM was declared brain dead and that her family is grappling with the difficult decision of removing their loved one from the machines that are keeping her alive. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

As of their latest update at 5:00PM, WDIV is reporting that KM remains on life support as her family considers organ donation. I suspect that KM was declared brain dead and that her family is grappling with the difficult decision of removing their loved one from the machines that are keeping her alive. My thoughts and prayers are with them.
    As I thought. But I am surprised if she would be eligible for organ donation-wouldn't infectious deadly disease-meningitis-prevent that?
    Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    As I thought. But I am surprised if she would be eligible for organ donation-wouldn't infectious deadly disease-meningitis-prevent that?
    Good question. I think this has good information about that.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/479025_3
    I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    - Audrey Hepburn

There are reports of successful transplantation of organs retrieved from donors with meningitis, pneumonia, bacteremia, and endocarditis without documented transmission of the infecting agent.
    Taken from the link above.

My thoughts and prayers go out to her family during this difficult time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast