640 users online (78 members and 562 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    In heels
    Posts
    27,885

    Deer with Pumpkin stuck on head, poor Dear

    Awww.. poor thing



    Elizabeth Laatsch had to reassure the operator her call was no Halloween prank.

    A deer came through her backyard Friday with a pumpkin stuck on its head.

    At least, it looked like a pumpkin to the South Middleton Township woman.

    “It sounds very far-fetched,” says Laatsch, who moved into the Stonehedge Drive house with husband, Jerry, about a month ago. Her husband was on the back porch about 11:15 a.m. when something walked through the yard.

    “He did not know what it was at first,” Laatsch says. “He called out to me.”

    She looked outside and saw the deer moving slowly, unable to see where it was going.

    The animal disappeared into a wooded area and gully. Forty-five minutes later, the deer meandered back and Laatsch took its picture.

    hird call in 3 days

    Concerned for its welfare, she called the Pennsylvania Game Commission and found out she was the third person to report the animal in as many days.

    The first call came on Wednesday, says Eric Horsh, wildlife conservation officer for Cumberland County. And Horsh came within 20 yards of capturing the deer in the vicinity of Rockledge Drive and Old School Road in South Middleton.

    The deer seems to have a large brown or gold plastic ball stuck on its head — a lawn ornament or possibly a Halloween decoration, Horsh says.

    “From the size, it may be a yearling.” He adds, “I’ve never seen anything like it” in five years as a wildlife conservation officer.

    The second sighting was Thursday behind East Gate apartment complex. Again, Horsh responded, with no luck.

    Every report is within the same general area behind Kmart along Walnut Bottom Road.

    Can’t eat or drink

    While the deer appeared healthy, Horsh is concerned about its ability to eat or drink with the ball over its head. A healthy deer could survive without water for up to a week.

    Horsh suspects the deer came across the ball, poked its head in to investigate, but could not pull out.

    He hopes to get close enough to grab or rope the deer. A tranquilizer gun is not an option since the drug would make the deer unfit for human consumption for up to 30 days should it be harvested legally during hunting season.

    http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2...ews/news01.txt

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    Awww.. poor thing



    Elizabeth Laatsch had to reassure the operator her call was no Halloween prank.

    A deer came through her backyard Friday with a pumpkin stuck on its head.

    At least, it looked like a pumpkin to the South Middleton Township woman.

    “It sounds very far-fetched,” says Laatsch, who moved into the Stonehedge Drive house with husband, Jerry, about a month ago. Her husband was on the back porch about 11:15 a.m. when something walked through the yard.

    “He did not know what it was at first,” Laatsch says. “He called out to me.”

    She looked outside and saw the deer moving slowly, unable to see where it was going.

    The animal disappeared into a wooded area and gully. Forty-five minutes later, the deer meandered back and Laatsch took its picture.

    hird call in 3 days

    Concerned for its welfare, she called the Pennsylvania Game Commission and found out she was the third person to report the animal in as many days.

    The first call came on Wednesday, says Eric Horsh, wildlife conservation officer for Cumberland County. And Horsh came within 20 yards of capturing the deer in the vicinity of Rockledge Drive and Old School Road in South Middleton.

    The deer seems to have a large brown or gold plastic ball stuck on its head — a lawn ornament or possibly a Halloween decoration, Horsh says.

    “From the size, it may be a yearling.” He adds, “I’ve never seen anything like it” in five years as a wildlife conservation officer.

    The second sighting was Thursday behind East Gate apartment complex. Again, Horsh responded, with no luck.

    Every report is within the same general area behind Kmart along Walnut Bottom Road.

    Can’t eat or drink

    While the deer appeared healthy, Horsh is concerned about its ability to eat or drink with the ball over its head. A healthy deer could survive without water for up to a week.

    Horsh suspects the deer came across the ball, poked its head in to investigate, but could not pull out.

    He hopes to get close enough to grab or rope the deer. A tranquilizer gun is not an option since the drug would make the deer unfit for human consumption for up to 30 days should it be harvested legally during hunting season.

    http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2...ews/news01.txt
    -------------

    Oh this poor Baby! I hope they can help it soon. Last week on our way to the hospital a Deer crossed right through traffic,everyone stopped and he was safe...What a beautiful animal!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,681
    Let me get this straight:

    Everyone is very concerned about this deer, he might not be able to eat, drink and find his way.

    They have had several reports and have tried to catch the deer to help him/her.

    But they don't want to tranq the deer(to help him/her) to eat, drink and find his way because he won't be available for hunters to kill for 30 days.

    Am I missing something here........

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Other End
    Posts
    25,761
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw
    Let me get this straight:

    Everyone is very concerned about this deer, he might not be able to eat, drink and find his way.

    They have had several reports and have tried to catch the deer to help him/her.

    But they don't want to tranq the deer(to help him/her) to eat, drink and find his way because he won't be available for hunters to kill for 30 days.

    Am I missing something here........
    I don't get it either...


    This post is my opinion only, and is subject to making me look totally confused

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,173
    Deers do this a lot. Normally they use their antlers to pop open the pumpkin or hurl it to the ground, where it smashes open. I've seen 'em do it to watermelons, too.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    6,468
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw
    Let me get this straight:

    Everyone is very concerned about this deer, he might not be able to eat, drink and find his way.

    They have had several reports and have tried to catch the deer to help him/her.

    But they don't want to tranq the deer(to help him/her) to eat, drink and find his way because he won't be available for hunters to kill for 30 days.

    Am I missing something here........
    Yeah, sure, makes um, er, perfect sense to me.

    Poor, poor deer, I hope they're able to get that thing removed from it's head soon.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *My posts are my opinions, expressed freely thanks to the First Amendment.*

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,586
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw
    Let me get this straight:

    Everyone is very concerned about this deer, he might not be able to eat, drink and find his way.

    They have had several reports and have tried to catch the deer to help him/her.

    But they don't want to tranq the deer(to help him/her) to eat, drink and find his way because he won't be available for hunters to kill for 30 days.

    Am I missing something here........
    ---------------------------
    CyberLaw you are not "missing" a thing.Game wardens etc.are! Why not just tranquilize the poor animal then place it in a zoo~refuge of some sort.No, it has to be ready for the kill!! Let it live!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    5,772
    Oh I was hoping to hear they'd gotten whatever it is off his/her head!!!!! When we lived in the country we had deer all over...they were quite the pain in the butt.....but, I hope they can get that thing off it's head!!!!!! And won't tranq????? UGH!!!! Just paint the antlers a floursecent color and let hunters know if you see a glowing deer he/she's not edible!!!!! I assume the deer doesn't have a big rack to have the thing stuck.....

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassygerl
    Oh I was hoping to hear they'd gotten whatever it is off his/her head!!!!! When we lived in the country we had deer all over...they were quite the pain in the butt.....but, I hope they can get that thing off it's head!!!!!! And won't tranq????? UGH!!!! Just paint the antlers a floursecent color and let hunters know if you see a glowing deer he/she's not edible!!!!! I assume the deer doesn't have a big rack to have the thing stuck.....
    -----------

    Sassygerl,now you know one of the brave hunters would just love to have a pair of glowing antlers in his Den.LOL...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,763
    This poor thing is also a huge hazard for driver's if it's on the road.

    Here in Michigan, we have so many deer-related accidents that our insurance rates have increased. I know 2 people who've been killed because of it. Plus I've hit one myself. Most women I know are terrified of driving around dusk because of this risk. Last month I noticed a live yearling on the side of the x-way at about '15 mile road' - which is just 7 miles north of the famous '8 Mile'. Mr. Pook just told me that one's been hit/killed down on 11 Mile. This is city we're talking about! Metropoliten (sp) Detroit!

    There's too many of them, and they're dangerous in populated areas. Plus, many of the are infected with TB.




Similar Threads

  1. No Way Out: Many Poor Stuck in Houston
    By tybee204 in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-19-2014, 10:44 AM
  2. Deer's head gets stuck in fake pumpkin
    By Dark Knight in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-12-2006, 09:26 PM
  3. Deer's Head Stuck in Fake Pumpkin for Days
    By ajc2804 in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-11-2006, 06:38 PM