2,200 told not to answer door when kids knock

Yeah...but the the coment of the defense attorney stinks!

A lawyer representing sex offenders says the ban won't protect children and the onus is on parents to keep kids safe.

2luvmy said:

Well then, perhaps they should use tv air time and put on all the sex offender's (from that city),pictures and crimes committed, so that the parents are aware these deviants are 'the guy next door.' :rolleyes:

JMHO
fran

2luvmy said:
Sorry, but I agree with him. The responsibility for keeping children safe on Halloween does fall on the parent's shoulders. Everyone knows it is a dangerous holiday, and parents are responsible for monitoring their children, as well as sifting through their loot.:angel:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

fran said:
Well then, perhaps they should use tv air time and put on all the sex offender's (from that city),pictures and crimes committed, so that the parents are aware these deviants are 'the guy next door.' :rolleyes:

JMHO
fran

deandaniellws said:
Sorry, but I agree with him. The responsibility for keeping children safe on Halloween does fall on the parent's shoulders. Everyone knows it is a dangerous holiday, and parents are responsible for monitoring their children, as well as sifting through their loot.:angel:

I agree. As parents, it is our responsibility to monitor the houses our kids trick-or-treat at. My kids are only allowed to go to the homes of people we know. They are not turned loose to run all over in an attempt to get as much candy as possible. If we don't personally know the people, they don't ring the bell.

I didn't mena that it wasn't the parent's responsibility. It just seemed like that the attorney was blaming the problem of children falling prey to sexual abusers as the fault of parents.

Linda7NJ said:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/10/25/sex.offenders.ap/index.html

NEWARK, New Jersey (AP) -- New Jersey sex offenders who face supervision under Megan's Law will be confined to their homes Halloween night and will be under orders not to answer the door when trick-or-treaters come calling.

:woohoo: A step in the right direction.
Same here, ours can't turn on their porch lights either. The police and probation officers will be making the rounds every hour or two to make sure they are home and lights out.

fran said:

JMHO
fran
That's a good idea, they do that here locally, channel 2 on our cable is devoted to it and they put them up according to zip 24hrs a day.

Jules said:
I agree. As parents, it is our responsibility to monitor the houses our kids trick-or-treat at. My kids are only allowed to go to the homes of people we know. They are not turned loose to run all over in an attempt to get as much candy as possible. If we don't personally know the people, they don't ring the bell.
Good girl Jules, the kids in my family never were allowed to run around either.

I definately agree with this statement in the article "The best monitors in the world for children are their parents. You want to keep your kids safe? Go trick or treating with them."

I look back when I was a kid and wonder what the hell my mother was thinking when she let me go out alone on Halloween. It wasn't like we lived in a small town, or neighborhood where everyone knew each other.......IT WAS IN A TERRIBLE PART OF LOS ANGELES.

2luvmy said:
I didn't mena that it wasn't the parent's responsibility. It just seemed like that the attorney was blaming the problem of children falling prey to sexual abusers as the fault of parents.
In the context of this story....the attorney's opinion was correct. If on Halloween night, parents supervise their children, then the children should be safe. As far as the rest of the time, of course it is NOT always the parents fault. Sexual perverts are EVERYWHERE....in school, church, the neighbor next door. This world is a sad place sometimes. :furious:

Tom'sGirl said:
I look back when I was a kid and wonder what the hell my mother was thinking when she let me go out alone on Halloween.

Same here. Sad how much things have changed. When I was young, we'd run all over from dusk til dark by ourselves. :eek: :eek: Now days, I go trick-or-treating with the kids and hubby gets to pass out candy.

Tom'sGirl said:

I definately agree with this statement in the article "The best monitors in the world for children are their parents. You want to keep your kids safe? Go trick or treating with them."

I look back when I was a kid and wonder what the hell my mother was thinking when she let me go out alone on Halloween. It wasn't like we lived in a small town, or neighborhood where everyone knew each other.......IT WAS IN A TERRIBLE PART OF LOS ANGELES.

I think the same thing, I couldn't imagine sending my kids out on there own. And we moved to a nicer smaller place for our kids and still wouldn't let them out on Halloween. But I remember growing up that hardly any adults were out and about unless it was for really young kids. I remember being a kid in the city going into stores, pizza places, bars cause they all passed out candy. No way would I let my kids.........that is crazy

Tom'sGirl said:

My mom was just the opposite. We lived in a suburban, almost rural subdivision where we knew everyone. I was allowed to go out without an adult (but with several friends) only the last year, when I was 13.

I also remember the year Halloween was "cancelled" because of the Atlanta child murders. Somehow our neighborhood was convinced that on Halloween night all these little white girls out in the 'burbs were going to become targets for a killer who almost exclusively preyed upon young black boys in downtown Atlanta. :doh: Fear can make you do strange things.

mindi77 said:
I think the same thing, I couldn't imagine sending my kids out on there own. And we moved to a nicer smaller place for our kids and still wouldn't let them out on Halloween. But I remember growing up that hardly any adults were out and about unless it was for really young kids. I remember being a kid in the city going into stores, pizza places, bars cause they all passed out candy. No way would I let my kids.........that is crazy
Same with me, we both went to the same kind of places for the "good stuff" :p

No way did I let my daughter go out on her own on Halloween, or a lot of other places my mom let me go.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back