PA - Samaria Motyka, 4, dies after being left in hot car, Williamsport, 22 July 2016

bluesneakers

not today satan
Reaction score
I feel certain I saw a thread about this already, but maybe it was another child? I tried searching and nothing recent came up. Sorry if I'm repeating. Maybe there are just too many and I'm confused. :(

She was left in the car for hours when temperatures were in the 90s.

Pennsylvania girl, 4, dies after being left in hot car for hours

Williamsport officials told WNEP the woman who takes care of the girl usually drops the child off at daycare in the morning. But on Friday, instead of dropping the girl off, she apparently went straight to work. When she came out at the end of the day, she found the girl unconscious in the car, officials said.

The temperature reached 97* Friday.

This is about the heat wave but also mentions the girl.

A prolonged heat wave is blanketing much of the United States, with dangerously high temperatures believed to be responsible for at least seven deaths, including that of a 4-year-old girl.

The girl died in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, after being left for hours in a hot car as temperatures hit 97 degrees, police told ABC affiliate in Scranton WNEP.

There have also been five heat-related deaths since Wednesday in Roseville, Michigan, where temperatures soared into the high 80s and low 90s. Roseville Fire Chief Mike Holland told the Macomb Daily that five people have died from heart attacks or breathing difficulties, all linked to weather over the past three days.

I think there is more to the story. 4 year olds are chatty. They are very hard to forget that they are in the car with you. I find it strange that no one noticed as I'm sure a 4 year old would be screaming, banging on the windows, etc.

I hope more comes out about this story. Sounds like there was no deviation from the normal routine that would account for forgetting the daycare stop.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think there is more to the story. 4 year olds are chatty. They are very hard to forget that they are in the car with you. I find it strange that no one noticed as I'm sure a 4 year old would be screaming, banging on the windows, etc.

It's odd to me too, and a 4yo would be big enough to see. Aren't kids in front-facing seats by then? Mine was. Maybe she was asleep? Did she pass out before should could scream for help or bang on a window?

I was left in a hot car by a baby sitter when I was 5 years old (she went into a club to play pokies...don't get me started!) Looking back I also believe she was a drinker.

Such a vulnerable age, she told me to not open the doors or talk to anyone, so that's what I did! I remember becoming extremely hot, flushed, confused and crying. A man walking past saw me and somehow convinced me to open the door, next thing I remember he had me over his shoulder, (the whole club staring) marched into the club and extremely angrily told my sitter what he thought! Police should have been called but times were different then.

Thinking back now how close I was to passing out and so lucky the stranger was a kind man.

I was left in a hot car by a baby sitter when I was 5 years old (she went into a club to play pokies...don't get me started!) Looking back I also believe she was a drinker.

Such a vulnerable age, she told me to not open the doors or talk to anyone, so that's what I did! I remember becoming extremely hot, flushed, confused and crying. A man walking past saw me and somehow convinced me to open the door, next thing I remember he had me over his shoulder, (the whole club staring) marched into the club and extremely angrily told my sitter what he thought! Police should have been called but times were different then.

Thinking back now how close I was to passing out and so lucky the stranger was a kind man.

So glad for you!

Girl, 4, Dies In Hot Car In Pennsylvania, Bringing 2016 Total To 20
BBM

According to noheatstroke.org, a site containing research compiled by San Jose State University Professor Jan Null, 20 hot car deaths have been reported in the United State so far this year, including Friday's death in Williamsport.
Of the deaths since 1998, 54 percent of those were due to a caregiver forgetting them in a car. In 29 percent of the cases, a child was playing in a car and got stuck in side. And 17 percent of cases were intentional, Null's research suggests.

attachment.php

Samaria Kay Motyka, of Williamsport became one of God’s children on Friday, July 22, 2016.

Samaria celebrated her 4th birthday on December 28, 2015. Born in Williamsport, she was a daughter of William D. Motyka, of South Williamsport and Sara J. Fox, of Williamsport.

Samaria enjoyed swimming, playing dress-up and doing her “big girl” make-up, riding her bike, and playing at the park. She loved playing with her cousins and friends. She adored animals including her two cats, Pumpkin and Sweet pea. Samaria will be remembered for her beautiful smile and cheerful personality.

http://www.northcentralpa.com/obits/samaria-kay-motyka

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 183
A baby or small toddler, I am able to understand being genuinely forgotten.
But a 4.5 year old who is getting close to school age? Who is verbal and in a forward facing or booster seat? At that age (from 4yo) here most kids are in a booster or convertible seat with a normal seatbelt rather than a harness and could probably get themselves out. My daughter could. Were child locks on the doors perhaps? We only have the child lock on one door so other doors would be usable in such a situation.
Wondering if there is more to this story (e.g. like StarrChance has explained).

So sad! The heat is just brutal right now in NC. I can't imagine how awful it would be to be trapped in a car. I just can't even :(

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Manslaughter charges for woman who left child, 4, in car on hot day

The woman responsible for leaving 4-year-old Samaria Motyka alone in her car for hours during one of the hottest days of the summer, resulting in the child's death, told police she had "forgotten the kids in the past" before being arraigned for involuntary manslaughter and other charges Thursday.

Many other details about the tragic death of the child - including the identity of the woman responsible for leaving her in the car - have been released in a city police affidavit. But some of the details may create more questions for people wondering how it could have happened.

Brittany Renee Borgess, 28, of 2630 Highland Ave., South Williamsport, has been in a relationship with William Motyka, Samaria's father, for three years, police said.

[snip]

When Borgess got to her 2-year-old son's day care, she reached over Samaria to get him out of his car seat and told her to tell her brother goodbye before taking him into the building around 8:45 a.m, police said.

Borgess' normal routine would have been to take Samaria to her day care in South Williamsport, but she instead drove straight to her workplace where she parked the car, picked up a few things from the passenger seat, exited the vehicle and locked the doors to start her work day with the child still in the backseat, police said.

Borgess told police that Samaria was silent during the eight-minute drive from her brother's day care on Dewey Avenue to her work and she forgot that Samaria was inside of the vehicle until she returned to it after work at 3:30 p.m.

Borgess also said that this wasn't the first time she left one of the children in the car, telling police about a time when she had showed up to work with all three kids still in the backseat.

Much more at the link.

Seems as if Samaria was more important to Dad than girlfriend.
So she left her in the car to die.

So it sounds like Borgess left Samaria in the car when she dropped her own child at day care. That could help explain forgetting Samaria when she reached work.

So it sounds like Borgess left Samaria in the car when she dropped her own child at day care. That could help explain forgetting Samaria when she reached work.

Yes, and not following the normal routine is common in hot car deaths.

I could not agree with you more! The sheer agony she had to have experienced is beyond the pale. I have no words to describe my feelings at this moment.

How could this have happened?!

:eek:verreaction:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member