CA - Richard Perez, 24, fatally shot by LE, Richmond, 14 Sept 2014

bluesneakers

not today satan
Reaction score
I thought this was interesting because not too long ago there were articles about the use of deadly force going down in Richmond, CA.
(CA - Use of deadly force by police disappears on Richmond streets WS thread here:http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...orce-by-police-disappears-on-Richmond-streets) Nothing but praise for Magnus. Did he do the right thing here? Was it better to just get everything settled and move on? From what I've read about Richmond this is uncommon. (Though I admit not keeping up with Richmond news regularly.)

This is how it starts (bits and pieces taken from articles below):

On Sept. 14, Jensen was responding to a nuisance report at Uncle Sam’s Liquors, located at 3322 Cutting Blvd. According to the three-page letter from Grove, a citizen had called to complain that people were loitering in front of the store.
Perez was shot multiple times by a police officer outside a liquor store after an altercation while he was being arrested on suspicion of being intoxicated. The officer claimed Perez was reaching for his gun, but witnesses and Perez supporters say Perez was not making any threatening moves when he was shot three times through the torso.

Jensen's attorney, Terry Leoni, said last year that the officer acted in self-defense and "was scared for his life" because Perez was tugging on his weapon.

"Unfortunately, these situations are always tragic, but Mr. Perez's dangerous actions provoked officer Jensen to use deadly force," Leoni added Tuesday.

Richard ‘Pedie’ Perez, Unarmed Man Killed By Richmond Cop, Being Ignored, Dad Says
(IMO He's right.)

“My son’s just as good as anybody else’s son,” the elder Richard Perez told HuffPost. “He was just as unarmed as everybody’s son.”

It is the first time a Richmond cop had fatally shot anyone since 2007, according to a statement from Richmond Police Chief Chris Magnus.

“As chief of police, I am committed to the greatest degree of transparency possible involving this critical incident,” Magnus’ statement said. “I am confident that all aspects of this case will be thoroughly investigated and we will keep you appraised of updates as they become available.

Magnus is the guy who turned everything around in Richmond, as mentioned in the deadly force thread^.

Richmond: City settles suit involving fatal officer shooting of Richard "Pedie" Perez

The city has agreed to pay $850,000 to the family of Richard "Pedie" Perez, who was fatally shot by a police officer in 2014.

The city is not admitting fault or liability in the lawsuit settlement. An independent investigation authorized by the city cleared the officer of wrongdoing, as did a criminal probe by the Contra Costa District Attorney's Office
Perez was shot multiple times by a police officer outside a liquor store after an altercation while he was being arrested on suspicion of being intoxicated. The officer claimed Perez was reaching for his gun, but witnesses and Perez supporters say Perez was not making any threatening moves when he was shot three times through the torso. on Sept. 14, 2014.

If they admit fault why were no charges brought against the officer? Why wasn't he fired? Why is he now allowed to pass Go and Collect $200?

No Charges For Richmond Police Officer Who Fatally Shot Man Outside Liquor Store, DA Says It Was Self-Defense

The Richmond police officer who shot and killed an unarmed 24-year-old outside a liquor store in 2014 won't face criminal charges, the Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office announced in a nine-page statement released Friday morning.

Richmond cop who killed unarmed man to receive tax-free compensation for life

The police officer who shot and killed an unarmed man during a brief scuffle in 2014 has retired from the agency but will continue to collect half of his final salary tax-free for the remainder of his life.

Officer Wallace Jensen, 33, who worked at the police department for eight years, received industrial disability retirement, effective this April, said police Chief Allwyn Brown.

Jensen stands to earn $70,700 annually from the disability retirement, according to CalPERS, and will be eligible for cost of living increases.

$70k!!!

.... Richmond: City settles suit involving fatal officer shooting of Richard "Pedie" Perez
On Sept. 14, Jensen was responding to a nuisance report at Uncle Sam’s Liquors, located at 3322 Cutting Blvd. According to the three-page letter from Grove, a citizen had called to complain that people were loitering in front of the store....
Perez was shot multiple times by a police officer outside a liquor store after an altercation while he was being arrested on suspicion of being intoxicated. The officer claimed Perez was reaching for his gun, but witnesses and Perez supporters say Perez was not making any threatening moves when he was shot three times through the torso.
Jensen's attorney, Terry Leoni, said last year that the officer acted in self-defense and "was scared for his life" because Perez was tugging on his weapon.
Richmond: City settles suit involving fatal officer shooting of Richard "Pedie" Perez
If they admit fault why were no charges brought against the officer? Why wasn't he fired? Why is he now allowed to pass Go and Collect $200?

^sbm From ^ post: "If they admit fault why were no charges brought against the officer?"

Altho I have not seen a copy of the parties' settlement agreement, per ^ 2d link, the city did not admit fault by the LEOs.
"The city has agreed to pay $850,000 to the family of Richard "Pedie" Perez, who was fatally shot by a police officer in 2014.
The city is not admitting fault or liability in the lawsuit settlement." bbm

If I have this correct - the city (or whoever) handed over $850K for having no fault or liability for this officer involved shooting. Then the officer will collect $70K + because something appears to have happened, but the paying public has no right to know if that is legit or bogus.

Imo - the $850K was handed over to make the family go away and the $70K is to make the officer go away.

And schools and other programs go without funding. Someone should come up with a better plan. Jmo.

Imo - the $850K was handed over to make the family go away and the $70K is to make the officer go away....
Someone should come up with a better plan. Jmo.

^ sbm. Agreeing you on this point: "...$850K was handed over to make the family go away..." <--- yes, in simplist terms.
Stated another way 'to compensate family for wrongful death of Mr P.' Perhaps more accurate?
Not saying tort system works perfectly for all involved now.

"....the $70K is to make the officer go aw
ay," <---reduced to simplest terms.
Stated another way 'to compensate LEO for inability to continue duties & responsibilities of LEO.' Perhaps more accurate?
I did not see details re LEO's claim/app for disability benefits, but seems they likely could/would be payable per terms of this PD's LEO benefit package or disability ins (
of course, depending on his med conditions).* Not saying disability ins plans work perfectly for all involved now.

Re this: "Someone should come up with a better plan" IDK what better system is workable for either. Suggestions? Anyone? Thx in adv.

*City of Richmond CA, Memos of Understanding for Bargaining Groups
MUO, Richmond Pol Offcrs Assoc. http://ca-richmond2.civicplus.com/DocumentView.asp?DID=1083

This indicates Richmond LEOs have some disability ins. coverage:
"15. OTHER INSURANCE 15.1. LONG TERM DISABILITY INSURANCE: Effective July 1, 1997, the City agrees to pay the Richmond Police Officers' Association twenty-five dollars ($25.00) per month per member to cover the cost for the Long Term Disability Trust Fund. The Association shall administer payments to the Trust Fund, and handle all claims relative to this coverage for the life of this contract."

This too: http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/DocumentCenter/View/37898 Shows premium chart:http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/236/Employment-Benefits

Pension Reform Act 2013, Frequently Asked Questions: http://www.ci.richmond.ca.us/DocumentCenter/View/28578

It's the new normal. Some one hurt, some one pays. My favorites are the lawsuits against 911. No good deed goes unpunished. JMO

^sbm From ^ post: "If they admit fault why were no charges brought against the officer?"

Altho I have not seen a copy of the parties' settlement agreement, per ^ 2d link, the city did not admit fault by the LEOs.
"The city has agreed to pay $850,000 to the family of Richard "Pedie" Perez, who was fatally shot by a police officer in 2014.
The city is not admitting fault or liability in the lawsuit settlement." bbm

Thank you. I don't know how I got that mixed up but I knew it didn't make sense. At least now I know why.

Maybe I can hire you as a f/t proofreader? :)

Thank you. I don't know how I got that mixed up but I knew it didn't make sense. At least now I know why.
Maybe I can hire you as a f/t proofreader? :)

Proofreader? Me? LOL.:laughing: IDTS. I've made exactly the same kind of goof. Maybe more than once?
And plenty of other boo-boos w grammar, spelling, verb tense, titles, subject-verb agreement, you name it, I flubbed it.. Some real lulus.
But TYVM anyway. :blushing: Seeya.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back