818 users online (107 members and 711 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thumbs down I'm not the only one angry about this!

I read this on CNN. A woman was fired when she returned from seeing her husband off to Iraq. I looked up Benefit Management Administrators website, it's down. I found their number to call, mailbox was full. Haahhahahha.
    Guess I'm not the only one hot over this. They could have shown her some understanding, it might have been the last time she ever sees her husband. She was a part time receptionist and took leave without pay.
    That company would surely be out of business if it happened here at Fort Hood.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/27/wif....ap/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae
    I read this on CNN. A woman was fired when she returned from seeing her husband off to Iraq. I looked up Benefit Management Administrators website, it's down. I found their number to call, mailbox was full. Haahhahahha.
    Guess I'm not the only one hot over this. They could have shown her some understanding, it might have been the last time she ever sees her husband. She was a part time receptionist and took leave without pay.
    That company would surely be out of business if it happened here at Fort Hood.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/10/27/wif....ap/index.html
    Sadie, This is very bad PR for this company. Unless they are stupid, they will probably apologize and ask her to come back............I hope!

Angry

i think a monetary settlement is in order! in addition a federal fine! not sure about federal law in respect too married couples and being called too serve over seas. but i would think there should be allowances for spouses and children of service people! truth be known the company is more likely owned by china like most things in america is quickly becoming

Quote Originally Posted by daveknowshow2
    i think a monetary settlement is in order! in addition a federal fine! not sure about federal law in respect too married couples and being called too serve over seas. but i would think there should be allowances for spouses and children of service people! truth be known the company is more likely owned by china like most things in america is quickly becoming
    I see the emotional toll it takes on the wives, children and even husbands who have a loved one deployed every day. We are going through a large deployment now for the 4th ID for their SECOND time in Iraq. When my now ex deployed for Desert Storm, I couldn't eat or sleep for weeks and he was active military. It took a while for me settle down and get used to it. Her husband was taken from a normal job, normal lifestyle to become a soldier again with the Guard. That's got to extra stressful.

Bless all of our heros that lay their life on the line everyday to serve and protect our country. Also, bless the families behind the heros. They are awesome.

I am infuriated over this too. This company had better watch it - there are LOTS of people pretty angry.

I wonder though - just being devil's advocate here because I fully believe she should have all the time off she needs (ESPECIALLY if it's unpaid - just hire a temp to answer the danged phone for a couple of weeks, already) if her husband is being shipped out...but...

Again - don't shoot me - but I wonder if there were any preformance issues, history of extended or unexcused absences, etc.? My own boss (subsequently fired) took three weeks off because his mother-in-law died at age 90+ after a long illness and he was so traumitized - and for a whole plethora of other reasons as well. It is terrible, but some people will use any excuse not to go to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hbgchick
    I am infuriated over this too. This company had better watch it - there are LOTS of people pretty angry.

I wonder though - just being devil's advocate here because I fully believe she should have all the time off she needs (ESPECIALLY if it's unpaid - just hire a temp to answer the danged phone for a couple of weeks, already) if her husband is being shipped out...but...

Again - don't shoot me - but I wonder if there were any preformance issues, history of extended or unexcused absences, etc.? My own boss (subsequently fired) took three weeks off because his mother-in-law died at age 90+ after a long illness and he was so traumitized - and for a whole plethora of other reasons as well. It is terrible, but some people will use any excuse not to go to work.
    I found another story where she said she wanted her employment folder released because she has nothing to hide. She had a good work record. But, the company said it's a violation of privacy to do that. Makes me think they want to hide. What they did is inexcusable and Mr Galloway needs to be fired. Very, very stupid move. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieMae
    I found another story where she said she wanted her employment folder released because she has nothing to hide. She had a good work record. But, the company said it's a violation of privacy to do that. Makes me think they want to hide. What they did is inexcusable and Mr Galloway needs to be fired. Very, very stupid move. IMO.
    Ah - good to know. Thanks SadieMae!

i wish someone would post a linc too this company or a phone number a lot of us may want too call and keep calling till phones or site is back up and running!

power in numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Hbgchick
    Ah - good to know. Thanks SadieMae!
    I found the story...
    http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/in...260.xml&coll=6

From a different perspective:

She had permission from her company to have a week off. She had a week off. Her husband left on October 16, 2005. She was required to return to work after she saw him off and after a week. That would be October 17, 2005.

She decided she wanted an additional day. She did not have permission for this extra day. She seems to be under the impression that she decides when she is going to return to work, not the employer.

The employer and her agreeed for her to return to work October 17, 2005, the employer was not agreeable to her coming in on October 18.

Therefore they did fire her with cause. An employee just can't decide when they will come to work, that is up to the employer by mutual agreement.

She was unpaid because she was a part-time employee.

Therefore she was fired for cause..........I have a funny feeling that this may have been the "last" straw" and other "factors" were involved with her job that may have lead up to her firing.

The reason that she was fired: She did not return to work as required on October 17.

No lawsuit here.........not at all...........

Quote Originally Posted by daveknowshow2
    i wish someone would post a linc too this company or a phone number a lot of us may want too call and keep calling till phones or site is back up and running!

power in numbers
    www.benefitsthatfit.com the site is down

616-891-1984 Message says mailbox is full

616-891-1616 phone number from yahoo white pages for Mr. Galloway in Caldonia, MI.. Number stays busy.

On a note there is another website for a company with the same name, www.bmatpa.com that states as soon as you go there they are NOT the company that fired Mrs. Boler. Wow, I am really glad to know I'm NOT the only one p*ssed off about this.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw
    From a different perspective:

She had permission from her company to have a week off. She had a week off. Her husband left on October 16, 2005. She was required to return to work after she saw him off and after a week. That would be October 17, 2005.

She decided she wanted an additional day. She did not have permission for this extra day. She seems to be under the impression that she decides when she is going to return to work, not the employer.

The employer and her agreeed for her to return to work October 17, 2005, the employer was not agreeable to her coming in on October 18.

Therefore they did fire her with cause. An employee just can't decide when they will come to work, that is up to the employer by mutual agreement.

She was unpaid because she was a part-time employee.

Therefore she was fired for cause..........I have a funny feeling that this may have been the "last" straw" and other "factors" were involved with her job that may have lead up to her firing.

The reason that she was fired: She did not return to work as required on October 17.

No lawsuit here.........not at all...........
    I agree she probably has no grounds for a lawsuit, and her coming back to work a day later is a good reason for firing. But is the bad PR for that company worth it? This story is everywhere on the net, and like me a lot of others saw red. Maybe I'm extra sensitive to this because I live at Fort Hood, the biggest military post in the world. I know what a soldier going off to war does to a family. I see and work with these families everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw

That makes all the difference. That's a rather critical detail. Her company let her see her husband off. They even gave her a whole week off to see him off properly. That's ridiculous that she is now making such a huge fuss over being fired for choosing not to return to work at the end of her vacation. I hope the company can get that message out successfully.

I think the bad PR is worth it, better than having an employee you can't ever fire who is a slacker. I hate people who take advantage of people's goodwill like that. The bad PR hopefully can go away if the company can get the message out - they gave her a whole week to say goodbye. That's pretty generous in my book.

It certainly sounds as if hers is not the only side to the story. I'm not going to be too quick to jump on the "bombard the employer with nasty letters" bandwagon. It sounds as if they were very generous with allowing her the time off and she took advantage.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast