PA PA - Ed, 30, & Stephanie Hunsberger, 24, King of Prussia, 25 Feb 1978

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Reinert case is just plain sad, that poor woman and her children.

It is almost never mentioned anywhere, but Jay Smith (Upper Marion HS Principal and co-conspirator in the Reinert murder and disappearances) had a daughter and son-in-law who are also missing.

Edward Hale Hunsberger and Stephanie Smith-Hunsberger disappeared in the late 1970's. They aren't listed in NamUs or any other missing persons sites.

It is almost never mentioned anywhere, but Jay Smith (Upper Marion HS Principal and co-conspirator in the Reinert murder and disappearances) had a daughter and son-in-law who are also missing.
Edward Hale Hunsberger and Stephanie Smith-Hunsberger disappeared in the late 1970's. They aren't listed in NamUs or any other missing persons sites.

This just boggles my mind. So, possibly, their remains could be out there as John and Jane Does, like the couple I was just commenting on from 1978 (the ones with the KIM and JH tattoos that were found in AR and MO). Carl, do you know why no one has put them in any databases?

interesting......

I have a folder on them in my missing-people-missing-from-databases folder. Here are Stephanie Hunsberger's High School photos from 1971 and 1972.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Carl, were you ever able to find a photo of Edward Hunsberger?

Before I found her picture I'd considered Stephanie as a match for this Doe: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/20ufnj.html, but she doesn't look too much like the rendering.

Attachments

• 1971 Upper Merion HS MithStephanie.png
    1971 Upper Merion HS MithStephanie.png
    51 KB · Views: 557
  • 1972 Upper Merion HS SmithStephanie.png
    1972 Upper Merion HS SmithStephanie.png
    67.8 KB · Views: 559

Attachments

• 19790919 News Herald_HunsbergerStephanie.png
    19790919 News Herald_HunsbergerStephanie.png
    268.5 KB · Views: 383
Yes. Almost every article I've read about them mentioned recovering from addiction.

I think she looks a bit like the last one.

I have a folder on them in my missing-people-missing-from-databases folder. Here are Stephanie Hunsberger's High School photos from 1971 and 1972.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Carl, were you ever able to find a photo of Edward Hunsberger?

Before I found her picture I'd considered Stephanie as a match for this Doe: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/20ufnj.html, but she doesn't look too much like the rendering.

I found an 11th grade photo of Ed Hunsberger from the 1965 North Penn HS (Lansdale PA) yearbook.

Lansdale is 10 minutes from North Wales! I found an Edward Hunsberger in the 1967 Northeast Missouri State yearbook and he's listed as being from North Wales, PA. I'd questioned whether it was the one that married Stephanie. Would appear more likely that it is him.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 1967 NEMOState YB_HunsbergerEdward.png
    1967 NEMOState YB_HunsbergerEdward.png
    214.6 KB · Views: 327
  • 1967 NEMOState_HunsbergerE.png
    1967 NEMOState_HunsbergerE.png
    88.5 KB · Views: 321
His father (Byron Hunsberger) died in Northwales in 1992, so that is likely the same Edward.

Northeast Missouri State is in Kirksville, Missouri & became Truman State University a few years ago.

There is also an osteopathic medical college in Kirksville.

Kirksville is not a very big town. Wonder why he picked that college?

Whoa. New thread! Thanks, Carl for starting this.

I'm glad there's a thread on them now. I've always wondered what happened to them. Where I used to work one of the men went to school with Stephanie and my ex-hubby always believed there was a cult or a coven in the area, but I think he was referring to the teachers. Whatever the case, someone was good at disappearing people.

Now all we need are some vital stats, like height, weight, hair and eye color.

Given their lifestyle, do you think Ed and Stephanie have fingerprints on file somewhere?

I graduated from a high school in Lehigh Valley. Hunsberger in a very common name. There were three Hunsbergers in my class. I found an article even describing an area of eastern PA as the Hunsberger heartland.

http://www.hunsberger.org/pgm.htm

Given their lifestyle, do you think Ed and Stephanie have fingerprints on file somewhere?
According to this article from 1998, Stephanie's fingerprints were compared to prints found in the Reinert car but didn't match, so hers are out there:
Indeed, after the state police spoke with the confidential informant, they compared fingerprints found in Reinert's car with those of Stephanie Hunsberger. They didn't match.
The same article states an informant had interacted with Stephanie as late as 1979
Citing the contents of a recently discovered state police report, Smith's attorneys say their client could not be responsible for the Hunsbergers' disappearance because Smith was in jail the last time the couple was seen alive.The half-page report reveals that an unnamed confidential informant told investigators that he had met with Stephanie Smith Hunsberger in mid-August 1979. That was two months after Smith had been jailed for the armed robbery of a suburban department store.
It's also mentioned she was a prostitute.
http://articles.philly.com/1998-12-28/news/25723949_1_ironclad-alibi-informant-investigators

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back