Identified! NY - Central Valley, Harriman State Park, WhtFem 30-55, UP9736, dyed hair, mother's ring, May'84 - Name withheld

rats

Justice for Sheridan Jane Doe.
Reaction score
NamUs: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/9736

DoeNet: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/254ufny.html

The Doe Network:
Case File 254UFNY
254UFNY.jpg

Reconstruction of Victim
Unidentified White Female

• [*]Located on May 13, 1984 at Harriman State Park, Orange County, New York
    [*]Cause of death is an apparent gunshot.
    [*]Estimated date of death: January 1982
    [*]Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics

• [*]Estimated age: 35 - 45 years old.
    [*]Approximate Height and Weight: 5'0"-5'4"; 100-140 lbs.
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: Her hair was naturally gray, but she had dyed it brown. She was of medium build.
    [*]Clothing: Gray cotton jersey shorts, approximate 27" waist and a light-colored bra, approximate 34" - 36". Also found was a single-pierced earring; a yellow gold necklace; a 14K yellow gold engagement ring size 6½ with European cut center diamond of 1.10 carats with 3 smaller diamonds on each side. This ring resized larger. Also found was a 3-stone 14K yellow gold mother's ring with aqua and ruby stones, and third stone missing (March & July remained). This ring marked with "14KT. P.G."
    [*]Dental: Extensive, expensive fillings. Full dental and skeletal X-rays are available.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
New York State Police
845-782-8311

NCIC Number:
U-719073673
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information: ID-Wanted Organization

DNA is in the system and so is dental! She looks like she could be so easily identified, yet there's no thread, and no rule outs...

NamUs says:

"Circumstances
Subjects remains were found by a hiker in a densley wooded, swampy area"

NamUs also says she was found off State Route 6, while DoeNet says Harriman State Park. I wonder if they overlap? NamUs also says that she probably died between 1982 and 1983, I don't know where the January date came from on DoeNet. NamUs also gives a wider age range of 30-55 unlike DoeNet's 35-45.

Thank you for making the thread. She seems so identifiable! Sad to see no rule-outs.
Will be keeping her in my thoughts! :rose:

I wonder why they didn't put pictures of the jewelry in Doe/NamUs, the pieces sound like they might be able to help ID her.
If that indeed a mother's ring with 3 stones and it belonged to her, there are three kids out there that should be missing their mother.
Between the jewelry and expensive dental work, it sounds like she wasn't a transient.

I've found a May 20th 1984 article about this, published in the The Journal News.

It's actually not State Route 6, but US Route 6 - and it was a stretch running through Harriman State Park. The body was about 120 feet from the road. The body was off the stretch of Route 6 between Route 293 and the Queensboro Traffic Circle (which is right outside of Doodletown). From an article published that June - it was the south shoulder of Route 6.

Also, from the article the cause of death was gunshot(s). From another article - the gunshot(s) was/were to the torso, but police did not disclose the calibre of the weapon nor how many gunshots there were.

Attached is a photo from the June article - that is the jewelery found on the body (excluding the necklace).

The mother's ring did NOT have real gemstones, but coloured glass made in aquamarine and ruby colours. The engagement ring was "real" though, and in 1984 said to be worth $3000. It was supposedly probably made in the 1940s or 1950s, and had seen quite a bit of wear.

Another detail - fromnewspaper.jpg

Other details:
-The woman did NOT have a dental bridge.
-The mother's ring had "a solid gold bottom that split into braids where the stones were held"
-Also, parts of clothing associated with "warm weather wear" were located on the remains - so I guess indicating that it may have been a cold time of year when this woman died. However, another article contradicts this and most others don't mention it.

I've found a May 20th 1984 article about this, published in the The Journal News.

It's actually not State Route 6, but US Route 6 - and it was a stretch running through Harriman State Park. The body was about 120 feet from the road. The body was off the stretch of Route 6 between Route 293 and the Queensboro Traffic Circle (which is right outside of Doodletown). From an article published that June - it was the south shoulder of Route 6.

Also, from the article the cause of death was gunshot(s). From another article - the gunshot(s) was/were to the torso, but police did not disclose the calibre of the weapon nor how many gunshots there were.
Attached is a photo from the June article - that is the jewelery found on the body (excluding the necklace).
The mother's ring did NOT have real gemstones, but coloured glass made in aquamarine and ruby colours. The engagement ring was "real" though, and in 1984 said to be worth $3000. It was supposedly probably made in the 1940s or 1950s, and had seen quite a bit of wear.

Another detail -
attachment.php

Other details:
-The mother's ring had "a solid gold bottom that split into braids where the stones were held"
-Also, parts of clothing associated with "warm weather wear" were located on the remains - so I guess indicating that it may have been a cold time of year when this woman died. However, another article contradicts this and most others don't mention it.

Thanks for posting the picture, Allads. I wonder if we can get someone to add that picture to NamUs. I think it would be helpful.
It sounds like the engagement ring might have been an heirloom or keepsake that was passed down. It doesn't appear that robbery is the motive if they left her jewelry behind.

Wow, thank you so much for finding all of that! That's all super helpful.

As a side note, $3,000 in 1984 → $6,894.57 in 2016

There's a resemblance but I'm thinking this would be a rule out by default because both have DNA and dental charts available, however, if you feel strongly about the possibility, nothing says you can't inquire about it. I do it all the time :)

Okay, so I know the timeline is off, but hear me out.

Linda Singh, missing from Texas. Disappeared only a month before this Jane Doe was found.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

http://www.nampn.org/cases/singh_linda.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/singh_linda.html
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/8668/10

She had 2 kids (what if there was just space for a third because she planned to have one more?) and disappeared while traveling. She's inside the age range at 37, her height and weight match up.

Opinions? I know the crunched time frame is troubling, but...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    12.8 KB · Views: 553
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    13.2 KB · Views: 550
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    14.3 KB · Views: 306

Another detail - View attachment 99013

Other details:

BBM, Wouldn't "warm weather wear" indicate clothing worn in warm weather? If so, I think rats might be onto something with Linda Singh. Not to mention the strong resemblance.

Also, I posted this link in the Allentown, NH thread as well. There were three dead bodies there not identified, three of whom are related to one another maternally. Just wondered.......

BBM, Wouldn't "warm weather wear" indicate clothing worn in warm weather? If so, I think rats might be onto something with Linda Singh. Not to mention the strong resemblance.

Also, I posted this link in the Allentown, NH thread as well. There were three dead bodies there not identified, three of whom are related to one another maternally. Just wondered.......

Yep, exactly. Rereading it, by "warm weather wear" they mean is the bra and the shorts, so I misread at first. There's no disagreement between articles. So either the murder took place at home and then the body was moved, OR it took place in warm weather. Basically.

Also, from a January 1985 article - an examination of the body at the Smithsonian showed that the woman most likely had given birth to 2 or 3 children.

Okay, so I know the timeline is off, but hear me out.

Linda Singh, missing from Texas. Disappeared only a month before this Jane Doe was found.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

http://www.nampn.org/cases/singh_linda.html
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/singh_linda.html
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/8668/10

She had 2 kids (what if there was just space for a third because she planned to have one more?) and disappeared while traveling. She's inside the age range at 37, her height and weight match up.

Opinions? I know the crunched time frame is troubling, but...

Linda Singh had two sons, R. born in December of '81 and S. born June '77. So doesn't really fit with the birthstones, but that doesn't really mean that much possible.

Linda Singh had two sons, R. born in December of '81 and S. born June '77. So doesn't really fit with the birthstones, but that doesn't really mean that much possible.

Oh no, I was hoping they would match up :( Should I try and submit it anyway? Or does that ruin the potential match?

Oh no, I was hoping they would match up :( Should I try and submit it anyway? Or does that ruin the potential match?

I would submit it anyway. I wouldn't rely on the ring too heavily. If a kid got it for her they may not have even known to pick stones based on birth months and just picked pretty colors.

I would submit it anyway. I wouldn't rely on the ring too heavily. If a kid got it for her they may not have even known to pick stones based on birth months and just picked pretty colors.

I agree...I've owned a few birthstone jewelry pieces and NEVER pick my own birthstone, as it's a kind of unappealing orange/yellow (November). I always go for October or December...prettier colors. Perhaps the doe's favorite colors were aqua and red (plus one more that is missing)? I also have a ring with my favorite color and my boyfriend's favorite color...I don't really associate us with our birth month colors, but rather our favorite colors, so perhaps the doe associated her children with their favorite colors, instead.

I agree...I've owned a few birthstone jewelry pieces and NEVER pick my own birthstone, as it's a kind of unappealing orange/yellow (November). I always go for October or December...prettier colors. Perhaps the doe's favorite colors were aqua and red (plus one more that is missing)? I also have a ring with my favorite color and my boyfriend's favorite color...I don't really associate us with our birth month colors, but rather our favorite colors, so perhaps the doe associated her children with their favorite colors, instead.

It's very possible you're right, they were picked because of appeal but back then birth stones were the rage. Everyone was buying their birth stone jewelry.

Good point, Roselvr. I forgot...this was back in '84!

Got a tiny bit antsy and submitted Linda even though the crunched time frame would probably rule her out. If anything, at least a rule out list would be started. (Also, maybe they'll be influenced to put Linda's dentals in the system and/or flush out her case file a bit if there was interest shown).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back