VT VT - Burlington, Oakledge Park, WhtMale 18-99, UP12366, Jan'11

rats

Justice for Sheridan Jane Doe.
Reaction score
NamUs: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/12366

Case #: 11BU000502
Date Found: January 3, 2011
Location: 3 Flynn Ave., Lake Champlain Waterline, Burlington, VT (Chittenden Co.)
Estimated age: 18-99
Race: White
Sex: Male
Height: 60 inches.
Body conditions: Not recognizable - partial skeletal parts only
Probable year of death: 1975 to 2011

Circumstances:

Found in Oakledge Park

Eye description says "Unknown - Skeletal fragments only"

DNA: Sample submitted - tests complete

2 rule outs:

Craig Alexander 1961 Vermont
Wilfred King III 1943 Vermont

This one has such a huge probable year of death range! Like... Giant. What could they have even found? There's no info! At least they told us he was about 5'?

This guy was discovered about a year after I moved from VT. I should ask around.

They probably didn't check him because of how short the estimated height is -- but given that it was skeletal fragments, I think they should definitely check anyway. Another reason may be that he's not in NamUs for some reason?

His torso and head were missing so I did not put too much consideration into the estimated height. The first rule out, Craig Alexander, was almost 72 inches. Most of the older cases (5 males in 1971) were from a private plane crash over the lake. 4 from Atlanta and 1 from Jacksonville FL.

Classito

They probably didn't check him because of how short the estimated height is -- but given that it was skeletal fragments, I think they should definitely check anyway. Another reason may be that he's not in NamUs for some reason?

Still open in Namus. According to the Doe Network entry the fragment consisted of "..a partial, quarter-sized skull fragment..." so yes, they should be comparing everyone whose DNA they possess (sample has been DNA tested) since they won't get other identifiers.

This is so very sad. But I guess better than a person never being found at all.

How much do you (I ask whomever) suppose we can assume he's been compared to known missing people who have DNA on file?

Or that the height estimate being listed was an error? (If they found one bone fragment?)

Wilfred King is on the rule out list. Dillon certainly seems like a possibility. Even though he went missing in VT, the case contacts for him are in Duvall Co. Florida. Not sure why unless that's where his last permanent residence or closest relative is.

Here is his NamUs link. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

NamUs: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/12366

Case #: 11BU000502
Date Found: January 3, 2011
Location: 3 Flynn Ave., Lake Champlain Waterline, Burlington, VT (Chittenden Co.)
Estimated age: 18-99
Race: White
Sex: Male
Height: 60 inches.
Body conditions: Not recognizable - partial skeletal parts only
Probable year of death: 1975 to 2011

Circumstances:

Found in Oakledge Park

Eye description says "Unknown - Skeletal fragments only"

DNA: Sample submitted - tests complete

2 rule outs:

Craig Alexander 1961 Vermont
Wilfred King III 1943 Vermont

This one has such a huge probable year of death range! Like... Giant. What could they have even found? There's no info! At least they told us he was about 5'?
I live on Lake Champlain, on the NY side - so I think we should consider NY possibilities. I went through some and this seems almost ‘uncomfortably’ likely. Looks like where he was on Lake Champlain while on his sailboat before they fell overboard was just across the lake from where this skull was found on the VT side. . I do NOT know how to submit, I’ve tried and I don’t think I did anything so please if anyone thinks this is a potential and would be kind enough to do so, that would be amazing..

“Jefferson was seen at approximately 20:00 on his sailboat with two friends approximately 1 mile east of Schuyler Island when they went to an open area of Lake Champlain. The boat hit very rough water and flipped over twice. Jeff and his friends were all wearing life jackets so they decided to abandon the boat and swim to the nearest island. The two friends he was with were swimming ahead of him and saw Jeff swimming behind them most of the way. Both friends made it to Schuyler Island but Jeff never did. Jeff's life jacket was later found by the Coast Guard.”

“Jefferson was seen at approximately 20:00 on his sailboat with two friends approximately 1 mile east of Schuyler Island when they went to an open area of Lake Champlain. The boat hit very rough water and flipped over twice. Jeff and his friends were all wearing life jackets so they decided to abandon the boat and swim to the nearest island. The two friends he was with were swimming ahead of him and saw Jeff swimming behind them most of the way. Both friends made it to Schuyler Island but Jeff never did. Jeff's life jacket was later found by the Coast Guard.”
Jefferson Arms is certainly a plausible suggestion. NamUs currently has 19 exclusions for him, all UIDs from VA. I'm not sure that makes sense that he would be found down there, it's just that VA works hard to identify their Does.

This is so very sad. But I guess better than a person never being found at all.

How much do you (I ask whomever) suppose we can assume he's been compared to known missing people who have DNA on file?

Or that the height estimate being listed was an error? (If they found one bone fragment?)

DNA comparisons are done automatically, so yes, you can assume that he has been compared to missing people who have DNA on file.

Forensics does some amazing things but I can't see how they can have obtained a height estimate from a quarter-sized piece of skull (and how did anybody even notice it wasn't a rock or a shell?) unless somehow the DNA gave them a clue.

Craig Alexander and Wilfred King are still the only listed exclusions.

Jefferson Arms is certainly a plausible suggestion. NamUs currently has 19 exclusions for him, all UIDs from VA. I'm not sure that makes sense that he would be found down there, it's just that VA works hard to identify their Does.
How do you view exclusions can someone help me understand this? Has anyone been or willing to submit Jefferson Arms as a match? Him falling off a boat on the same lake directly across from waterfront just seems too close to not. Sadly, but as we know everyone deserves to be found and everyone of their loved ones deserves knowing. I greatly appreciate any support!

How do you view exclusions can someone help me understand this? Has anyone been or willing to submit Jefferson Arms as a match? Him falling off a boat on the same lake directly across from waterfront just seems too close to not. Sadly, but as we know everyone deserves to be found and everyone of their loved ones deserves knowing. I greatly appreciate any support!
You have to create an account at NamUs to see exclusions. It's free, you just need to be in the US and have a valid email address. I have not submitted a match, but from what I understand it's best to contact the regional NamUs contact assigned to the case along with the investigating case contact listed at NamUs. In this case that's the Burlington Police Department, but there's not a specific BPD person assigned to it right now, just a case number.

while I was browsing Ancestry, I came across this Vermont Certificate of Death dated 1 Dec 1993 for a Fletcher Bennett Coleman Jr. (DOB 26 Dec 1934).

In the comments, it states “Disappeared 3/12/78”, not heard from since, presumed dead”. It is unclear where he was last seen, but he was declared deceased in Chittenden County, Vermont.

There is not a NamUs casefile for him, and I can find no indication that he was ever found. His mother’s Aug 2001 obituary lists him as a surviving son (not unusual for a missing person), which would seem to suggest that as of Aug 2001, he had not been found deceased.

I don’t know if Fletcher Bennet Coleman Jr. was ever considered as a potential identity of UP12366 (Partial skeletal remains found in Chittenden County VT on January 3, 2011, with an estimated year of death between 1975 and 2011), but if not, he should be.

I emailed Lori Bruski to call this to her attention. Even if he is not a match to UP12366, perhaps he should be listed in NamUs. It wasn't until after I sent the email, that I realized it was a DDP case. So I let them know too. Whenever this case comes online, the volunteers working the case might want to keep him in mind if the ancestry points his way.

download.png

Last edited:
I live on Lake Champlain, on the NY side - so I think we should consider NY possibilities. I went through some and this seems almost ‘uncomfortably’ likely. Looks like where he was on Lake Champlain while on his sailboat before they fell overboard was just across the lake from where this skull was found on the VT side. . I do NOT know how to submit, I’ve tried and I don’t think I did anything so please if anyone thinks this is a potential and would be kind enough to do so, that would be amazing..

Oh my GOD!

I knew him as a teenager, and had no idea he was missing as a young adult.

I think this is the strangest experience I have ever had on this site.

(Even more strange.....he disappeared on September 18th, today's date.)

Did anyone submit him?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back