IL - Paul O'Neal shooting possible policy violation - Chicago

bluesneakers

not today satan
Reaction score
18-Year-Old Suspect Killed By Chicago Cops Was Shot In Back: Autopsy

An 18-year-old man fatally shot by Chicago Police officers Thursday night in the South Shore neighborhood died of a gunshot wound to the back, an autopsy has found.

The shooting happened about 7:30 p.m. in the 7300 block of South Merrill, where officers tried to pull over a Jaguar convertible reported stolen earlier that day, according to police.

The Jaguar was blocked in, but the officers opened fire when the driver tried to take off. He crashed into a parked vehicle, police said.

More...

(I searched for a thread on this but didn't find one. The last two I've searched for also came up with nothing even though they already had threads. I'm not sure what's going on but apologies if I'm repeating a thread.)

3rd cop loses police powers; autopsy shows man shot in South Shore died from wound to back

A third Chicago police officer has been relieved of police powers after department brass made the preliminary determination that officer and two others violated policy when they fired their weapons in an incident that killed an 18-year-old man, a police spokesman said Saturday.

Three officers fired their weapons in the incident that left Paul O'Neal, 18, dead after police say he sideswiped a squad car and hit a parked car while driving a stolen Jaguar, injuring some officers about 7:30 p.m. Thursday in the 7400 block of South Merrill Avenue. Police officials announced Friday that two of the officers were relieved of their police powers, and the third was relieved of police powers on Saturday, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.

The officers involved initially were placed on administrative duties for 30 days per department policy. They now will be on administrative duty but not have their police powers and not return to regular duty unless they are cleared in the IPRA and internal investigations.

The policy was not seen as necessarily punitive but rather a way to allow supervisors time to evaluate how officers were reacting to the shooting and whether they were ready to return to street duty.

Top Chicago Cop: Possibly Policy Violation in Shooting

Dashcam and body camera videos of a fatal police shooting of an 18-year-old suspect last week suggests violations of departmental policy, Chicago's police superintendent said Sunday, indicating that top police brass are moving more swiftly to scrutinize officer-involved shootings than in the past.

Eddie Johnson spoke at a news conference a day after relieving a third officer in the shooting of his police powers; the same action was taken against two other officers Friday. Autopsy results showed that Paul O'Neal, of Chicago, died of a gunshot wound to the back during a stolen vehicle investigation in the city's South Shore neighborhood.
Relieving officers of their police powers is considered a more serious step than putting officers on desk duty, which is routinely done after an officer-involved shooting. Officers relieved of police powers must turn in their badges and can't make arrests.
Some activists and longtime police critics say they're encouraged by Johnson's response in the O'Neal case. That includes Jedidiah Brown, of the Young Leaders Alliance.

"I think that he gets it," Brown told the Chicago Tribune. "Officers out there in the past have been very indifferent or disrespectful. This seems like a complete change of leadership."

And more.

Looking forward to more info on this case. Is there a breakthrough on the horizon?

wonder what the policy violation was.

Not sure.

II. DEPARTMENT POLICY

A. A sworn member is justified in using force likely to cause death or great bodily harm only when he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary:

1. to prevent death or great bodily harm to the sworn member or to another person, or:

2. to prevent an arrest from being defeated by resistance or escape and the sworn member reasonably believes that the person to be arrested:
a. has committed or has attempted to commit a forcible felony which involves the infliction, threatened infliction, or threatened use of physical force likely to cause death or great bodily harm or;​

b. is attempting to escape by use of a deadly weapon or;​

c. otherwise indicates that he or she will endanger human life or inflict great bodily harm unless arrested without delay.​

III. DEPARTMENT PROHIBITIONS FOR USE OF DEADLY FORCE

Use of firearms in the following ways is prohibited:

A. Firing into crowds.​

B. Firing warning shots.​

C. Firing into buildings or through doors, windows, or other openings when the person lawfully fired at is not clearly visible.

D. Firing at a subject whose action is only a threat to the subject himself (e.g., attempted suicide).​

C. is my guess (bbm)
http://directives.chicagopolice.org/directives/

As I read the policy stated above, it appears shooting one in the back is not necessarily against policy.

Key word here is 'possible'...

Another shooting last week also resulted in a man being shot in the back.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/opin...s-after-tempe-shooting-wait-answers/87920812/

But hey, waiting until more evidence is collected, nah that's not a good thing...

Yeah, Johnson said possible violation and hasn't give more details, but relieving three officers of their police powers hints at something quite serious. I don't think he would make that move if he had any doubts. I could be wrong - maybe it's just the new Chicago way of dealing with police shootings after so many have gone badly.

Body camera of Chicago officer who killed teen did not record shooting
Failure to record raises questions over whether police tampered with or misused it as officials say investigation into Paul O’Neal’s death is under way

Three officers shot at Paul O’Neal on Thursday evening after O’Neal fled from a car he had allegedly stolen. The 18-year-old was killed after being shot in the back, according to the local medical examiner. The department spokesman, Anthony Guglielmi, said on Monday an investigation was under way to determine why the equipment did not capture the shooting. Authorities do not currently believe that the officer intentionally turned off the camera, according to the Chicago Tribune.

O’Neal was stopped while driving a Jaguar he had reportedly stolen. As he tried to drive away from police, he crashed the car into two police vehicles, at which point two officers began shooting, according to the initial investigation. Police said O’Neal fled the scene of the crash on foot and was shot by a third officer who ran after him. It is the third officer’s camera that was not recording. None of the officers who opened fire have been identified.

Chicago police: Body camera didn't record cop's fatal shooting of teen in back

Footage from police dashboard cameras and body cameras helped lead to the swift sidelining of three officers involved in the latest fatal shooting by Chicago police, but officials acknowledged Monday that the shooting itself was not captured on video.

Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said the department is investigating why the body camera worn by the officer who fatally shot 18-year-old Paul O'Neal failed to show those critical moments.

wo officers had opened fire at O'Neal while he was still in the Jaguar, according to police sources. A police dashboard camera captured one of the officers firing his weapon, a source said.

A third officer who had been in one of the police vehicles struck by the Jaguar gave chase after O'Neal fled on foot and fatally shot him.

Based on a preliminary review, police don't believe that officer intentionally disabled the body camera, a source said. Rather, investigators suspect the crash or the officer's lack of experience operating the camera played a role in the failure.

O'Neal was shot in the back, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office
But in 2015, the department revised its use-of-force policy to prohibit officers from firing on a moving vehicle if it was the only threat against the officers or others. The policy, however, states that officers should not "unreasonably endanger" themselves or others to adhere to the policy.

Much more at the link.

From the Washington Post 29 Jan 2016.

Chicago Police Department officers stashed microphones in their squad car glove boxes. They pulled out batteries. Microphone antennas got busted or went missing. And sometimes, dashcam systems didn’t have any microphones at all, DNAinfo Chicago has learned.

Police officials last month blamed the absence of audio in 80 percent of dashcam videos on officer error and “intentional destruction.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-to-officer-error-or-intentional-destruction/

Imo, this is the kind of behavior that causes unstable people to target LE from any city - in other words, such behavior can potentially put a target on the back of any officer.
How then do we know which officers to feel sympathy for?

From the Washington Post 29 Jan 2016.

Chicago Police Department officers stashed microphones in their squad car glove boxes. They pulled out batteries. Microphone antennas got busted or went missing. And sometimes, dashcam systems didn’t have any microphones at all, DNAinfo Chicago has learned.

Police officials last month blamed the absence of audio in 80 percent of dashcam videos on officer error and “intentional destruction.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-to-officer-error-or-intentional-destruction/

Imo, this is the kind of behavior that causes unstable people to target LE from any city - in other words, such behavior can potentially put a target on the back of any officer.
How then do we know which officers to feel sympathy for?

Wow.

They're trying to get out of doing their job correctly. They're trying to avoid being exposed. (Thank goodness for everyone and their cell phones!)

I agree with what you've said - how can you trust someone who is trying to keep secrets? And there's no way to tell who is looking the other way. I would assume all Chicago cops want to save themselves more than they want to save others.

JMO

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.mirro...aul-oneal-police-shooting-footage-8569836.amp

Paul O'Neal police shooting: Footage shows unarmed black teenager kicked and called 'motherf*****' AFTER being fatally shot

Video footage released today shows an unarmed black teenager being pushed to the ground after a Chicago police shooting which killed him.

The horrifying film shows police kicking him in anger and called 'motherf*****' after he was shot - before he later died from his gun wounds.

Alive and bleeding:
Video-released-by-Chicago-Police-showing-the-moment-Paul-ONeal-was-shot.jpg

After watching the video, I'm satisfied it was a good thing this wild criminal was taken out before he killed an innocent.

After watching the video, I'm satisfied it was a good thing this wild criminal was taken out before he killed an innocent.

Execution for stolen car.Shooting in the back . I guess we are going thevway of some of those Middle Eastern countries.

August 5, 2016
UPDATED 6:15 PM EDT

Chicago police release video tied to shooting of unarmed man

Chicago officers are seen firing at least 15 shots at a black Jaguar as it races down a tree-lined street. The car crashes. The driver bolts. Officers chase him down a driveway between brick houses and over wooden fences. Then multiple shots are heard.

"Get down! Hands behind your back! You shot at us, mother------!"

Moments later, officers curse at 18-year-old Paul O'Neal as they put him in handcuffs as he lies face down. Hands behind his back, his arms appear limp. The back of his shirt is covered in blood. An officer holds his foot on O'Neal's leg. Another holds down the mortally wounded man's head.

The actual shooting, which occurred on July 28, isn't seen in the footage because the officer's body camera didn't record the moment he opened fire. However, police say the officer who shot O'Neal in the back violated policy. The teen, police learned, was not armed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cn...ooting-video-release/index.html?client=safari

Execution for stolen car.Shooting in the back . I guess we are going thevway of some of those Middle Eastern countries.

The lack of empathy makes me want to weep.

Only humans without empathy can treat another human like this.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back