Mystery *maple syrup* smell in NYC...gov't not saying what it really is...

Tristan

Reaction score
I live in Manhattan, and last night, while I was at my computer, I smelled
the scent of maple syrup. It smelled so good, that I almost made some
French Toast...at 11:00pm, mind you.

I figured that the maple syrup smell was from a neighbor cooking some
pancakes or the like.

Little do I know, this "mysterious" maple syrup smell was detected by
almost everyone in Manhattan!! It is all over the news and the newpapers here.
NO ONE is saying what is is...they're saying they do not know.

If anyone here lives in Manhattan, I'd love to hear your theory.

Some are whispering "bio-terrorism", and I'm a bit freaked.

All I smell is garbage. :bang: Seriously, I heard about this too, and am curious what it turns out to be. I guess we don't really know what bioterriosm smells like.

I tried to do a search, but all I came up with is Maple Syrup Urine Disease (MSUD) and I'm sure that isn't it unless a lot of New Yorkers suddenly developed a rare disease and started peeing in the city alleys. :waitasec:

http://www.msud-support.org/intro.htm

Cypros said:
I tried to do a search, but all I came up with is Maple Syrup Urine Disease (MSUD) and I'm sure that isn't it unless a lot of New Yorkers suddenly developed a rare disease and started peeing in the city alleys. :waitasec:

That's normal behavior here. The peeing in the alleys. Gross. But I suppose if you gotta go, you gotta go.

MrsMush99 said:
Cypros said:

That's normal behavior here. The peeing in the alleys. Gross. But I suppose if you gotta go, you gotta go.

Sounds like they still don't know what it is - but some of the articles I found say it's a huge geographical area . . . .

http://www.nynewsday.com/news/local/manhattan/nyc-air1028,0,861248.story?coll=nyc-homepage-breaking2

I heard Merridth (sp) discussing this on "the View" this morning.

Tom'sGirl said:
I heard Merridth (sp) discussing this on "the View" this morning.

While changing channels this morning, I paused for a few minutes on Kelly Ripa as she was telling the audience a funny story about not being able to locate the yummy "pancakes & caramel sauce" smell.

Said the yummy smell was permeating all over Manhattan like one giant IHOP - and a huge mystery to everyone!

Sounds good to me! :D

13th Juror

Kelly Ripka (sp?) was talking about this today also. She said that sometime in the evening, she noticed a pleasant smell that was like pancakes and maple syrup. No one seems to know where it originated or what it is. Puzzling, indeed. :waitasec:

My sister told me that Kelly Ripa was talking about it.
She lives about 20 blocks (one mile) from my apartment building,
so the smell sure traveled.

It smelled EXACTLY like maple syrup...and I just LOVE maple syrup!!

I hope it's nothing bad.

Now this is going to sound odd, but I'm about 30 minutes north of you guys up in White Plains and when I was out walking the dog last night, I smelled it too. I just figured it was one of my neighbors cooking. How weird is this?

Nancy

Cypros said:

http://www.msud-support.org/intro.htm
LOL! Maybe an army of nursing moms who take Fenugreek are out & about. ;)

Has anyone heard anything as to why "Mrs. Butterworth" was permeating Manhattan & beyond? :confused:

New Yorkers, Is she still there? :D

13th Juror

there are factories that make concentrated checmicals for smell & taste, for the mass market... a couple years ago, there was a lawsuit that employees of such a company (one that made popcorn butter for microwaves & movie theaters) had started, due to permanent lung damage from boiling vats of the stuff...

http://www.usatoday.com/money/general/2002/06/20/popcorn-factory.htm

so maybe if there is such a company near manhattan, and perhaps they had a huge bio-spill?? one wonders why they would have to cover it up-- from fear of being fined i suppose? however, just the fact that is was detected over such a huge area, and no one seems to know about any such factory, is a bit scary. there must be something else going on here.. i'm sure the government conspiracy folks are going hog wild with this one!

I hope they find the source - it is just too creepy that thousands & thousands of people smelled maple - and the source is unknown

Casshew said:
I hope they find the source - it is just too creepy that thousands & thousands of people smelled maple - and the source is unknown
I agree with you. It would make me nervous with the way the world it today. It is so sad that we have to worry about stuff like this. :razz:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megankd
Back