1292 users online (235 members and 1057 guests)  

Websleuths News

Tribal girl wants to marry a cobra!

A few days back Kusum,15, of Kaliaguda tribal village about 60km from the district headquarters of Malkangiri had gone to bathe in the river Saveri nearby. While bathing she found a cobra getting wrapped around her.

Panic-stricken Kusum shook the reptile off and fell unconscious after that. When she became conscious again, she told her father Bhagaban Nayak and family that she has to marry the cobra. http://sify.com/news/offbeat/fullstory.php?id=13974298
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    A few days back Kusum,15, of Kaliaguda tribal village about 60km from the district headquarters of Malkangiri had gone to bathe in the river Saveri nearby. While bathing she found a cobra getting wrapped around her.

Panic-stricken Kusum shook the reptile off and fell unconscious after that. When she became conscious again, she told her father Bhagaban Nayak and family that she has to marry the cobra. http://sify.com/news/offbeat/fullstory.php?id=13974298
    There are tribes in India that until recently (and possibly still do) would marry young girls to king cobras. I remember seeing rare footage from the 1920s of one such "bride" kissing her "groom" on the head for luck! The damn thing was reared up, ready to strike, and was taller than the woman. Amazingly, she was able to pull it off and survive being struck by the 6 ft. + cobra.

According to the article, people in the area are coming for miles to catch a glimpse. And the family has evidently tried to talk her out of it.
    The article did mention an old custom where the cobras were thought of as gods.
    My thought was the way they value purity. And according to the article the girls statement was that she had to marry the cobra.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

I'd say that this girl probably licked the back of the wrong toad.

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    My thought was the way they value purity. And according to the article the girls statement was that she had to marry the cobra.
    I got that impression also.

poco is offline A cat will blink when struck with a hammer.
    You guys all laugh, but I bet he doesn't leave the toilet seat up.

So often times it happens that we live our life in chains, and we never even know we have the key. ...Eagles, "Already Gone"

Quote Originally Posted by poco
    You guys all laugh, but I bet he doesn't leave the toilet seat up.
    But I'll bet he's no good at doing any other household chore.

She's not the first girl to marry a snake

H0NEYWEST is offline I have a .38 and an ocelot ~ they're both loaded
    Quote Originally Posted by Casshew
    She's not the first girl to marry a snake
    At least she knows what he is from the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by H0NEYWEST
    At least she knows what he is from the get go.
    LOL, you got that right.