Tribal girl wants to marry a cobra!

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
A few days back Kusum,15, of Kaliaguda tribal village about 60km from the district headquarters of Malkangiri had gone to bathe in the river Saveri nearby. While bathing she found a cobra getting wrapped around her.

Panic-stricken Kusum shook the reptile off and fell unconscious after that. When she became conscious again, she told her father Bhagaban Nayak and family that she has to marry the cobra. http://sify.com/news/offbeat/fullstory.php?id=13974298

mysteriew said:
A few days back Kusum,15, of Kaliaguda tribal village about 60km from the district headquarters of Malkangiri had gone to bathe in the river Saveri nearby. While bathing she found a cobra getting wrapped around her.

Panic-stricken Kusum shook the reptile off and fell unconscious after that. When she became conscious again, she told her father Bhagaban Nayak and family that she has to marry the cobra. http://sify.com/news/offbeat/fullstory.php?id=13974298
There are tribes in India that until recently (and possibly still do) would marry young girls to king cobras. I remember seeing rare footage from the 1920s of one such "bride" kissing her "groom" on the head for luck! The damn thing was reared up, ready to strike, and was taller than the woman. Amazingly, she was able to pull it off and survive being struck by the 6 ft. + cobra.

According to the article, people in the area are coming for miles to catch a glimpse. And the family has evidently tried to talk her out of it.
The article did mention an old custom where the cobras were thought of as gods.
My thought was the way they value purity. And according to the article the girls statement was that she had to marry the cobra.

I'd say that this girl probably licked the back of the wrong toad. :D

mysteriew said:
My thought was the way they value purity. And according to the article the girls statement was that she had to marry the cobra.

I got that impression also.

You guys all laugh, but I bet he doesn't leave the toilet seat up.

poco said:
You guys all laugh, but I bet he doesn't leave the toilet seat up.

But I'll bet he's no good at doing any other household chore.

She's not the first girl to marry a snake :snooty:

Casshew said:
She's not the first girl to marry a snake :snooty:
At least she knows what he is from the get go.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back