1277 users online (225 members and 1052 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Canada - Mariam Peters, 16, Toronto, 7 November 1975

https://www.torontopolice.on.ca/homicide/case/44/1975
    Cold Case FilesHomicide #44/1975

750370efb2e4ccc1094e34fb19a1bd0a.gif
    Mariam DebraPeters
    PETERS

Murdered on: November 7, 1975

Details of Investigation:
    On Friday, November 7, 1975, at about 8:20 p.m., police responded to a stabbing at St. Patrick's Subway station (University Avenue and Dundas Street W).

The victim was discovered inside the station, suffering from stab wounds. The victim was transported to hospital, where she eventually died from her injuries on November 11, 1975.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...,3046142&hl=en

From CrimeSolver's post.
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...19#post2391119
    At about 8 p.m. on Friday, November 7th, 1975, 16-year-old Mariam Peters was stabbed 16 times at St. Patrick subway station in downtown Toronto. She died of her injuries in hospital the following Tuesday. Peters had left her home on Bruce Farm Dr. in North York and taken the subway downtown to visit her sickly grandfather at Mount Sinai hospital.
    The suspect was described as a Caucasian man, mid-20s to mid-30s in age, 5’8” – 5’10”, medium build, chalk-white skin, clean-shaven, dark hair and eyes, and soft-spoken

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/05...ror-in-florida
    March 5 2016
    NO ANSWERS IN ’75 SUBWAY SLAYING:

Mariam Peters had everything to live for.

The daughter of Holocaust survivors, she was a sensible city girl, pretty and smart. Barely 5-feet tall and just 98 lbs. soaking wet, Mariam was a self-confessed flirt.

The raven-haired beauty had been on her way from her home in Willowdale to visit her grandparents at Mount Sinai Hospital. Her boyfriend Steve was supposed to go with her but he was sick in bed with a cold — so she went alone.

Mariam Peters’ date with the abyss was Nov. 7, 1975.

Cops were called at around 8:20 p.m. where they found her inside St. Patrick’s subway station. Four days later she died, the cruel slashes too grave to recover from.

The Grade 11 A.Y. Jackson student had been stabbed 16 times in a bizarre random attack on an escalator inside the subway station on a busy Friday night. She was just 16.

“I kept asking God: why did you spare my life and take hers. I must have sinned so badly that my prayers were not accepted,” her father told the Canadian Jewish News a month after the murder.

She clicked in as homicide number 44 that year. More than 40 years later, the slaying remains a blank ... no closer to being solved than that terrible day long ago.

The previous February, the “typical teenager” had written an essay describing herself and her hopes for the future. She said she was “sentimental, kind, nice, flirt, vivacious, outgoing, pleasant, good, compact, big mouth, ugly and lack of self-confidence.”

Her dream was to be a social worker.

“Raising Mariam was like growing a tree,” her heartbroken mom told CJN.

The killer was described as white, mid-20s to mid-30s in age, 5-foot-8 to 5-foot-10, medium build, chalk-white skin, clean-shaven, dark hair and eyes, and soft-spoken.

As far as I know the "killer" was simply someone the TTC ticket collector/cashier had seen around that time. The trouble is I can never understand exactly where/how this crime occurred. I know it was a lonely spot in the station and the TTC closed it afterwards but was she attacked 1. on stairs going into the station (in which case the attacker could simply have retreated and the chalk pale man would just be a rider or 2. was it on stairs in the station AFTER you have paid your fare. She was 16 and stabbed 16 times. As far as I know this "killer" did not have blood on him (?) . Interesting but may be a red herring. OK just rereading the above and it seems to imply IN the station. It is tough to imagine anyone having a grudge against this apparently charming spirited and well grounded girl. As for this young man surely we would be covered in blood afterwards. For all the media attention at the time it is very hard to picture the crime. A map would be wonderful.

I think her father had a store nearby on Queen which probably isn't relevant but who knows? It would seem not too many people would have known she was going to that hospital to visit her grandad. Which is why I assume they believed it to be a bizarre random attack. And it does seem she was going straight home dropped off at College by her Dad but maybe it is interesting that she walks south to the subway and not back to College.

As I have said elsewhere her family may have lived earlier on a street behind the SitnEat where Wendy Tedford and Donna Stearne were last seen. But yes the crimes seem very different.

Of course the Clarke Institute was in easy walking distance but surely LE would have pursued that route. If a bizarre random attack how come just this one?
    Last edited by Chorley8; 08-08-2016 at 12:01 AM.