1051 users online (200 members and 851 guests)  

Websleuths News

HI - Puna, Human remains w/ personal items of Montreal woman, Jul'16

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...eal-woman.html

HONOLULU—Hawaii Island authorities are working to identify human remains that were found next to personal items belonging to a Canadian woman who has been missing for about 15 years.

The remains had been discovered last month by hunters in a remote area in Puna.
    Last edited by dotr; 08-10-2016 at 06:12 PM.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2016/08..._11429016.html
    r-JESSICA-URBINA-403xFB.jpg
    Montreal woman Jessica Urbina was reported missing in Hawaii 15 years ago

The Montreal woman had come to Hawaii on vacation in November 2000, when she was 21.

She was reported missing to the Honolulu Police Department in 2001.

Police do not yet know if there is a link between the remains and Urbina, who would now be 37.

Investigation revealed that Urbina, from Montreal, Quebec, had come to Hawaii on vacation in November 2000, when she was 21 years old, and that she had been reported missing to the Honolulu Police Department in 2001.
    Police have not yet identified the remains and do not know if there is a link between the remains and Jessica Urbina, who would be 37 years old now.
    Police ask anyone who has any information about the human remains or Jessica Urbina to contact Lieutenant Gregory Esteban at 961-2252 or gregory.esteban@hawaiicounty.gov.

Tipsters who prefer to remain anonymous may call the islandwide Crime Stoppers number at 961-8300.
    http://khon2.com/2016/08/09/human-re...missing-woman/
    Last edited by dotr; 08-10-2016 at 06:34 PM.

This is freaky, imo.
    rbbm
    http://news.nationalpost.com/news/wo...i-15-years-ago
    In 2004, Urbina’s mother told the Journal de Montréal of the attempt to find her daughter after she received a strange phone call in March 2001. “It was not my daughter. She was either drugged or someone was keeping her from talking,” Elder Urbina, who has since died, said at the time. “I spent an hour on the phone trying to find out what was wrong but she didn’t answer.”
    The newspaper reported that a friend of Urbina’s, André Bégin, set off to look for her in Honolulu, the last city from which Urbina had mailed a letter. He had already returned home when a phone bill arrived indicating the last collect call had come from the Big Island.
    Bégin and another family friend flew to the Big Island in early 2002 and met with people who knew Urbina. They showed him where she had been camping in Pahoa, but they said they had not seen her for a while.
    “We went all around the Hawaiian Islands, driving along its coasts, questioning people, showing her photo around all over,” he told the Journal. “The police stations had never even seen her photo.”

I don't really understand what the mother was trying to say. She thought it was not her daughter but she heard her daughter on the phone? I'm a bit confused.

My first thought was, somebody pocket dialed and the mom heard a muffled conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnoliaMountain View Post
    I don't really understand what the mother was trying to say. She thought it was not her daughter but she heard her daughter the phone? I'm a bit confused.
    The National Post was quoting a French language newspaper 'Journal de Montreal' so it think something was lost in translation. I can't find the source article but as the National Post said the call had come from the daughter - I think the monther's original quote might have been something like "She was not herself" and this was not well-translated when printed in the English piece....

Quote Originally Posted by eucalyptuz View Post
    The National Post was quoting a French language newspaper 'Journal de Montreal' so it think something was lost in translation. I can't find the source article but as the National Post said the call had come from the daughter - I think the monther's original quote might have been something like "She was not herself" and this was not well-translated when printed in the English piece....
    This is the article in French.
    http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2016/08/10/des-effets-personnels-trouves-aux-cotes-de-restes-humains

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MagnoliaMountain View Post
    I don't really understand what the mother was trying to say. She thought it was not her daughter but she heard her daughter on the phone? I'm a bit confused.
    I took it to mean that the woman she heard on the phone could have been her daughter (physically) but was not the daughter she knew (which is why she said she thought maybe she was drugged, or someone was preventing her from speaking - didn't act like her daughter normally does/did)?? I am guessing the voice was enough to convince her to stay on the line as she said she tried for over an hour to ask her what was wrong with no clear answer .. that is how I read it, but I could be wrong

http://www.hawaii247.com/2016/09/08/...orted-missing/
    Police are still searching for info about Canadian woman reported missing

Posted on September 8, 2016
    Police are awaiting DNA analysis on the remains and have not established whether there is any connection between the two cases. Police ask anyone with any information about Urbina to call the Police Department’s non-emergency line at 935-3311 or contact Detective Sandor Finkey at 961-2384 or sandor.finkey@hawaiicounty.gov.
    Tipsters who prefer to remain anonymous may call the islandwide Crime Stoppers number at 961-8300.

I have searched but have found no updates regarding these human remains and the dna analysis.