1106 users online (235 members and 871 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PA - Child falls off Idlewild Park roller coaster

Child falls from roller coaster at Idlewild Park, flown to hospital

[...]
    A boy was injured at Idlewild Park & SoakZone in Ligonier Township just after noon Tuesday while riding a classic wooden roller coaster with his brother, a park spokesman said.
    [...]
    He was seated in the middle section of the Rollo Coaster, built in 1938 by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company, spokesman Jeff Croushore said Tuesday afternoon.
    Park officials would not detail the extent of his injuries or describe exactly where he was on the ride because the investigation is ongoing.
    “He was talking. He was alert, but he was airlifted,” Croushore said.
    The initial report from Westmoreland County 911 indicated the boy fell from the coaster at 12:18 p.m. He was conscious and was flown to Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC, an emergency dispatcher said.
    Croushore said the boy was visiting the park with his family.
    The Rollo Coaster is closed and will remain so while state police and Westmoreland County Detectives investigate, Croushore said. The park remained open after the incident.
    [...]
    http://triblive.com/mobile/10949512-...d-park-coaster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    findsierralamar.com
    #JusticeForSierraLaMar #JusticeForLittleChris #JusticeForSierah #JusticeForMalik #JusticeForAnGelica #JusticeForErin #JusticeForGabbi #JusticeForBecky #JusticeForKarina #JusticeForCharli #JusticeForJoshua #JusticeForCooper #JusticeForBella #JusticeForHeatherElvis #JusticeForJenise #JusticeForOmaree #JusticeForTristan #JusticeForJordyn
    #FindSierraLaMar #FindKatelin #FindRelishaRudd #FindBabyDelano #FindBabyDaphne #FindMyraLewis #FindDeOrr

#LongLiveWebSleuths
    @

Child falls off roller coaster at Idlewild Park | WPXI
    Embedded video @link
    http://www.wpxi.com/news/child-falls...1399760?CAL2XQ

This has to stop!

findsierralamar.com
    #JusticeForSierraLaMar #JusticeForLittleChris #JusticeForSierah #JusticeForMalik #JusticeForAnGelica #JusticeForErin #JusticeForGabbi #JusticeForBecky #JusticeForKarina #JusticeForCharli #JusticeForJoshua #JusticeForCooper #JusticeForBella #JusticeForHeatherElvis #JusticeForJenise #JusticeForOmaree #JusticeForTristan #JusticeForJordyn
    #FindSierraLaMar #FindKatelin #FindRelishaRudd #FindBabyDelano #FindBabyDaphne #FindMyraLewis #FindDeOrr

#LongLiveWebSleuths
    @

Here's a video of the ride -

Not much in the way of lap bar. I wonder how old the child is. And how old/tall he and his brother are. In order to ride without an adult, you have to be at least 48 inches tall.

48 inches isn't anything. It's only 4 feet.

I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody.

Lily Tomlin

Guests under 48 inches must be accompanied by an adult.

The info says that the child and his brother were riding together. Some reports say the child was 3 years old. A 3 year old would NOT be 48 inches tall. Therefore he should have been with an adult. (Unless maybe there is a massive age gap and the brother is over 18.)

http://www.wtae.com/news/child-falls...aster/41153660

Quote Originally Posted by AmyPond View Post

The info says that the child and his brother were riding together. Some reports say the child was 3 years old. A 3 year old would NOT be 48 inches tall. Therefore he should have been with an adult. (Unless maybe there is a massive age gap and the brother is over 18.)

My sister and I are 10 years apart. It's possible.

I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody.

Lily Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by AmyPond View Post

As an aside, that *does* occur. My son was 16 when his first sister was born; he was 18 when his second sister was born. Ah...the amazing body!

The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture said the ride was most recently inspected by a private certified inspector on Aug. 6. It passed that inspection. The inspection report is listed below.
    http://www.pennlive.com/news/2016/08...lds_78-ye.html

Apparently the sourcing as to the child's age.

The victim was not identified, although a local fire station dispatcher earlier told NBC News the child was about 3 years old.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...spital-n628421

Oh how funny! The city where I grew up has similar replica of this roller coaster! And here I thought it had to be the last wooden one running. This roller coaster is a very mild one.

My guess is this child's brother was too young to hold on to him. A three year old's arms are too short to hold on to the bar constantly while his back is against the back of the seat. It would be a reach for him and the first curve would move his little body and bring his hands off the bar. It is as simple as that!

Or, and I shudder to even think this! Did big brother throw his hands up in the air, not holding on, and little brother followed him? EEK!!

A tragedy that didn't need to happen! Can't wait to hear how old the big brother was. I have a gut feeling a worker let an underaged child on with a 3 year old.

RIP little one. Big brother may you find peace and receive help to overcome what you have witnessed.

Sources told Pittsburgh's Action News 4 reporter Ashlie Hardway that the child, 3, suffered head and chest injuries.

The injury happened in "the middle part" of the ride, Croushore said. He declined to be more specific, and he had no information to offer regarding whether the injury was a result of a malfunction or the rider's behavior.

Read more at http://www.wtae.com/news/child-falls...aster/41153660

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the news video, the reporter says the boy was 'ejected' from the ride.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/11/us/pen...roller-coaster

The child was airlifted to Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh about 50 miles away, said Westmoreland County public safety spokeswoman Mary Beth Eslary.
    In the other recent accidents around the country, one child has been killed, another suffered a brain injury and at least two others were hospitalized.
    MOO
    Delphi Murders -- Six Thousand Billboards Across the USA
    Reply with Quote is everyone's friend.
    “Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.” Patrick Moynihan
    #metoo

I'm thinking we'll soon need a separate forum on here for Amusement Park Accidents, if this keeps up.

I don't get the height requirements. Is the adult supposed to hold the child during the ride???
    MOO
    Delphi Murders -- Six Thousand Billboards Across the USA
    Reply with Quote is everyone's friend.
    “Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.” Patrick Moynihan
    #metoo

Quote Originally Posted by 1&2&3 View Post
    Oh how funny! The city where I grew up has similar replica of this roller coaster! And here I thought it had to be the last wooden one running. This roller coaster is a very mild one.

My guess is this child's brother was too young to hold on to him. A three year old's arms are too short to hold on to the bar constantly while his back is against the back of the seat. It would be a reach for him and the first curve would move his little body and bring his hands off the bar. It is as simple as that!

Or, and I shudder to even think this! Did big brother throw his hands up in the air, not holding on, and little brother followed him? EEK!!

A tragedy that didn't need to happen! Can't wait to hear how old the big brother was. I have a gut feeling a worker let an underaged child on with a 3 year old.

RIP little one. Big brother may you find peace and receive help to overcome what you have witnessed.
    I am guessing the brother was NOT an adult and that is why this occurred. Just speculation, of course.

There are actually a couple dozen(?) roller coasters running today that were built in the 1920's. So this was in old, but definitely not the oldest out there. (Oldest I've been on was built in 1927.)

As far as I've read, this child has NOT died. So that's good, at least.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast