The murder of Alberta Jones remains unsolved after more than 50 years. There's now a new call for the case to be reopened and examined once again.

Researcher: Reopen prosecutor's 1965 murder

Fifty-one years after Louisville’s first female prosecutor was beaten unconscious and thrown into the Ohio River to drown, a Bellarmine University professor who has researched a book about civil rights trailblazer Alberta Jones is asking Louisville Metro Police to reopen the investigation of her murder.

Jones, who helped integrate the University of Louisville and was the first black woman to pass the Kentucky bar exam, was killed on Aug. 5, 1965, and no one has ever been charged with the crime.

In 2008, the FBI matched a fingerprint found inside her car with a man who was 17 at the time of the murder, but then-Commonwealth’s Attorney Dave Stengel concluded two years later that short of a suspect confessing to the crime, it would be infeasible to prosecute the case.

Stengel cited the loss of evidence and the death of key witnesses.

But in a seven-page letter to be presented Wednesday to Chief Steve Conrad, Lee Remington Williams, an assistant professor of political science who also is an attorney, says that some key witnesses, including a lead detective and the last person to see Jones alive, are “very much alive.”

She also cites leads that were not fully explored after the fingerprint match eight years ago.

Bellarmine professor seeks justice for 1965 murder of Kentucky's first female prosecutor

On Aug. 5, 1965, Alberta Jones was attacked and dumped in the Ohio River.

“She was abducted by 3 to 4 people,” described the 34-year-old's sister, Flora Shanklin. “She drowned because they beat her until she was unconscious.”

Fifty-one years later, no one has been charged with Jones' murder.

Shanklin still holds onto newspaper clippings, countless photos and signs of her older sister’s accomplishments.

“She was a black female doing something that nobody’s ever done before,” Shanklin said.