AL AL - Ann Bragg, 76, Columbiana, 2 December 1951

Claireishere

Reaction score
So after years of searching I located information on my grandmother on ancestry. In finding her I found out about her family and discovered I have an aunt who went missing and it remains unsolved to this day. What I'm curious about is that the case was reopened twice once as long as 38 years after her initial disappearance. While there was a small article on the reopening of the case due to "recent developments" there was no follow up on the case in the papers. Any info you guys can help me dig up would be much appreciated. Here's the link to the reopening of her case. https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=eaUEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3897,4002580&hl=en

Ann's son Ervin was my grandpa on dad's side so she was my great grandmother too. My dad was Benny, he passed without ever knowing what happened to his "Ma".

I have a tiny amount of expertise in genealogy. I can use what I know to help you, but I need more information. Either PM or post any info you have regarding Ann. What was her birth year? Was she born in Alabama? Also any information regarding grace or ervin or benny would also be helpful. I can't promise anything, but I will find out what I can.

That is so very sweet of you! I have a lot of information on her my mom was there the day she went missing. The leads have just not been positive enough to find out what really happen.

Interesting book article at https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...ge&q="Ann Bragg" "Shelby County" 1951&f=false which describes the disappearance in some detail. The first name in the article (Levi) is variously reported as Leva and Levie on Ancestry. There are also articles available from 1951 on newspapers.com such as at https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/94827099/ but full access requires a subscription. However, some content can be seen by going to the page.

The oddest aspect of this case is the failure to find Ann given the reported scale of the search ('the largest in Alabama to that date'). The 1951 reports state that she had a 'feeble memory' and there were concerns she had wandered into the scrub - but if that were the case, even given the poor weather, the scale of the search should have found her. And if the search failed to find her at the time some remains would have turned up subsequently. This looks like more than a simple case of wandering off but with no indication as to what may have happened.

Could you please tell us a bit more about what happened, as far is known?

Thanks!

Ann Bragg is my Great Great Aunt. Her husband John was my great grandfathers Luke's brother. Sorry it took me so long to respond.

Could you please tell us a bit more about what happened, as far is known?

Thanks!

As far as the story I heard she literally left walking from her daughters house to walk directly next door to her own home and was never seen again. Apparently she was possibly in the beginning stage of dementia and there was a lot of woods near by that was said to be infested with snakes.

Where exactly did she disappear from? Do you have an address or a landmark?

I live where she supposedly disappeared from with two older houses surrounding our home.

Story around here is Ann was walking from her home through the woods toward her brother's house.
Somewhere between here and where US-280 meets right outside the woods is where she is thought to go missing.
(This was 20 years before 280 was a road)

But a more gruesome tale I've heard is:
Ann was going to visit her brother, and he owed her money. A bad argument led to him killing and burying her, followed by pouring concrete and building the other old house on top of her remains. The old house looks scrapped together like a quick job. Even a fallen tree supports a lot of this house underneath.

Remains were never found. But the house has not been demolished.

I live where she supposedly disappeared from with two older houses surrounding our home.

Story around here is Ann was walking from her home through the woods toward her brother's house.
Somewhere between here and where US-280 meets right outside the woods is where she is thought to go missing.
(This was 20 years before 280 was a road)

But a more gruesome tale I've heard is:
Ann was going to visit her brother, and he owed her money. A bad argument led to him killing and burying her, followed by pouring concrete and building the other old house on top of her remains. The old house looks scrapped together like a quick job. Even a fallen tree supports a lot of this house underneath.

Remains were never found. But the house has not been demolished.
Which brother?

I came up with my sons to visit my grandfathers grave. Not realizing that Ann and her husbands graves were here. I was told by family that they thought she had been found but then I saw her grave and realized clearly that information was not correct. To the people that have posted in here. If you are the person that has been leaving flowers at LL Patterson’s grave thank you so very much. Finding out his story this past year has been so sad to me. I wish Ann could have a final date on her grave.

Attachments

• CC545EB2-9FE4-4217-8AB0-4F8522D8B850.jpeg
    CC545EB2-9FE4-4217-8AB0-4F8522D8B850.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 17
To my knowledge her only living brother at the time was my great-father John S Patterson. He was 77 years old at the time and lived in Wylam, no where near where Ann lived.This brother story doesn’t appear to be correct.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans
Back