1115 users online (278 members and 837 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,772

    NY - Etan Patz, 6, New York, 25 May 1979 - #3



    That Friday, May 25, 1979, 6-year-old Etan, wearing his favorite Eastern Air Lines Future Flight Captain hat, had vanished somewhere in the two short blocks between his Prince Street home and the West Broadway school-bus stop.

    It was the first time his parents had let him walk the route alone, a decision they’d agonized over. (
    Other kids are allowed, Etan had said. Why not me?) His school never alerted the Patzes to Etan’s absence, and it wasn’t until 3:30 p.m., when he hadn’t returned, that Julie called their neighbors, wondering if he might be with a friend. Twenty minutes later she called the police.

    http://nymag.com/news/features/56441/

    Thread #1
    Thread #2

    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KayElJay; 08-19-2016 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Fixed broken image

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,772
    Prosecutors will take another swing at securing a conviction in the infamous Etan Patz case when the retrial begins Sept. 12.

    The first case against Pedro Hernandez — the 55-year-old former Soho bodega clerk who confessed to strangling the 6-year-old in 1979 — ended in a mistrial last year when a lone juror refused to convict.
    http://thevillager.com/2016/08/18/et...-set-to-start/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    19,805
    Wow, one juror.
    Unless I provide a link, every one of my posts are to be considered rumor, Speculation, or simply MY OWN OPINION.

    “It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it.”


    The missing and murdered cannot cry out for Justice. It is the duty for the living to do so for them.

    I stand with Standing Rock!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    7,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulessa View Post
    Wow, one juror.
    I wish they would/ could interview that person. My daughter has a '' friend'' who was in Ricker's I am going to see if he heard anything. Drug charges . He is not there any more but he was until last year.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,722
    Here's an interview with the one holdout from the first trial:


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    15,678
    It was somewhat surprising that an articulate, apparently moral and intelligent person was the hold-out jury member in this case, gives one pause, imo.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chandler AZ
    Posts
    578
    I have been following this case for a while, but havent posted on this thread. I still think George Ramos is the guy. Didn't he already admit to molesting Etan, then supposedly putting him on a train to Washington Heights? I don't think this Pablo guy did it. Without any sexual intent it doesn't seem plausible. What does everything else think?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    28,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocgirl View Post
    I have been following this case for a while, but havent posted on this thread. I still think George Ramos is the guy. Didn't he already admit to molesting Etan, then supposedly putting him on a train to Washington Heights? I don't think this Pablo guy did it. Without any sexual intent it doesn't seem plausible. What does everything else think?
    I doubt it was Ramos; possibly Andre (Cropsey) Rand; wasn't Hernandez. But I really think the perp will always remain unknown, and is probably none of the three.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    I doubt it was Ramos; possibly Andre (Cropsey) Rand; wasn't Hernandez. But I really think the perp will always remain unknown, and is probably none of the three.
    Why do you say that it wasn't Hernandez? Most false confessions are easily disproved. In this case, it turns out that the person admitting guilt had the opportunity to commit the crime and the means to dispose of the body.
    Etan Patz's body may well be buried deep in a landfill. How many missing people would be found if we were to sift through all of the nation's landfills?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    28,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozoner View Post
    Why do you say that it wasn't Hernandez? Most false confessions are easily disproved. In this case, it turns out that the person admitting guilt had the opportunity to commit the crime and the means to dispose of the body.
    Etan Patz's body may well be buried deep in a landfill. How many missing people would be found if we were to sift through all of the nation's landfills?
    from CNN; Hernandez juror Adam Sirois:

    There were four main factors that prevented me from voting Hernandez guilty:

    • First, the vulnerability of Hernandez to make a false confession and form a false belief about his association with the event.

    • Second, the weakness of the evidence presented by the prosecution outside of the confessions.

    • Third, the possibility that Jose Ramos committed the crime. Ramos is a convicted pedophile. He has denied involvement in Etan's disappearance. But he dated the woman who walked Etan home from a bus stop during the weeks leading up to his disappearance. Ramos was also sexually abusing this woman's son, who was in a play group with Etan at the Patz residence. Ramos admitted to a federal attorney that he was 90% certain that he had tried to abuse Etan on the morning of May 25, 1979, but that he had sent him to his aunt's home in Washington Heights on the subway. But the Patz family has no relatives in Washington Heights.

    • And fourth, the fact that Hernandez has never committed any violent crime, before or after May 25, 1979.

    Furthermore, there were three important pieces of evidence that were either not admissible or not presented in court, so we never heard about them until after the trial.

    • The prosecutor told all of us in the deliberation room after the trial that in 1979, New York City's SoHo neighborhood had hundreds of pedophiles. However, in court the prosecutor made the case that SoHo was a much safer place, where children could play in the street.

    • The prosecutor also told us that the reason for the excavation at a basement near the Patz home in 2012 was to follow up on information they found that Othniel Miller had abused children. In court, the prosecutor said that Miller was a friendly neighbor and that Etan would work with him in his basement. It is Miller who gave Etan the dollar he would use the next morning to buy the soda he had wanted. Had we been told that Miller was accused of pedophilia by his ex-wife (though never convicted), we may have had different opinions about the likelihood of Hernandez committing the crime. Miller has denied his ex-wife's accusation. He has also denied involvement in Patz's disappearance.

    • And finally, the fact that Stan Patz, Etan's father, had pursued Ramos for decades and was awarded $2 million in a civil suit was a critical piece of evidence that we did not hear in court. While my heart goes out to the Patz family, it would have been very helpful to have known about this fact.
    ---
    more at the link


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    from CNN; Hernandez juror Adam Sirois:

    more at the link
    What about the fact that Hernandez quit his job at the bodega the day after Etan disappeared and moved to NJ--for no apparent reason--taking a 70% pay cut?

    The juror's points may amount to reasonable doubt, but they certainly don't exonerate Hernandez. I'll concede that Ramos is just as strong of a suspect. Miller...naah.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    28,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozoner View Post
    What about the fact that Hernandez quit his job at the bodega the day after Etan disappeared and moved to NJ--for no apparent reason--taking a 70% pay cut?

    The juror's points may amount to reasonable doubt, but they certainly don't exonerate Hernandez. I'll concede that Ramos is just as strong of a suspect. Miller...naah.
    I'm sorta partial to Miller, the underdog here; but really I just don't think any of those named -- the ones we know, at least -- took EP. Unremarkably dressed person comfortable in his stride, out cruising a borough other than his own, nondescript but well-kept auto parked unobtrusively on a side street nearby? Bingo. An unremarkable man, comfortable in his skin, took Etan.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    I'm sorta partial to Miller, the underdog here; but really I just don't think any of those named -- the ones we know, at least -- took EP. Unremarkably dressed person comfortable in his stride, out cruising a borough other than his own, nondescript but well-kept auto parked unobtrusively on a side street nearby? Bingo. An unremarkable man, comfortable in his skin, took Etan.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Etan disappeared fairly early in the morning, right? It seems like a stranger dragging a kid into a car would have been noticed in such a heavily poulated neighborhood. It seems more likely that he was lured into a building and that he left in a trash bag or cardboard box--which is why the bodega worker's story fits. The evidence against Ramos is compelling enough to make convicting Hernandez or any other suspect all but impossible (in fact, I'm surprised there was only one holdout), and Hernandez's confession, even if it's false, will make it all but impossible to charge Ramos.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    28,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozoner View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Etan disappeared fairly early in the morning, right? It seems like a stranger dragging a kid into a car would have been noticed in such a heavily poulated neighborhood. It seems more likely that he was lured into a building and that he left in a trash bag or cardboard box--which is why the bodega worker's story fits. The evidence against Ramos is compelling enough to make convicting Hernandez or any other suspect all but impossible (in fact, I'm surprised there was only one holdout), and Hernandez's confession, even if it's false, will make it all but impossible to charge Ramos.
    It seems more likely to me he was enticed round a corner to see a puppy in a car.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,722
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/09/...ury-selection/

    Jury selection began Monday in the retrial of the man accused of killing 6-year-old Etan Patz, who vanished in SoHo in 1979 as he walked to the bus stop for the first time alone.

    Because of the case’s high-profile nature hundreds are expected to be surveyed and then interviewed before 12 are chosen for the new trial. The presiding judge said familiarity with the famous case won’t disqualify potential jurors.

    Jury selection is expected to take weeks, and the trial process is expected to last through mid-January.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. NY NY - Etan Patz, 6, New York, 25 May 1979 - #2
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum 1970's Missing
    Replies: 1000
    Last Post: 08-19-2016, 03:03 AM
  2. Cases from 1970-1979
    By JeannieC in forum Texas Killing Fields and Mysteries Along I-45
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 06-19-2014, 04:42 PM
  3. NY NY - Etan Patz, 6, New York, 25 May 1979 - #1
    By Doyle in forum 1970's Missing
    Replies: 686
    Last Post: 04-23-2012, 11:30 PM
  4. NY Etan Kalil Patz (6) - New York NY, 1979
    By SheWhoMustNotBeNamed in forum Missing Children in America - A Profile
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2010, 12:37 AM

Tags for this Thread