879 users online (107 members and 772 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

UK - Bristol, WhtMale 571UMUK, 25-35, fell from Clifton bridge, May'96

Al Ka, just interested - why do you think the unidentified person in your signature is from anywhere other than the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by webnut View Post
    Al Ka, just interested - why do you think the unidentified person in your signature is from anywhere other than the UK?
    I don't. Certain items in his belongings do point though that he might have travel around (London shopper, Great Britain A-Z map, Guide map Eurohike Adventure - travel agent in Austria). Auzzies and South Africans when they come over to UK are known to travel extensively around whole Europe before their visas are up.

I will ask mods to move the comments to Bristol John Doe thread, once I manage to create it.

UK - Bristol, WhtMale 571UMUK, 25-35, fell from Clifton bridge, May'96

Bristol John Doe

Gender Male
    Age Range 25 to 35
    Ethnicity White European
    Height (cm) 185cm = 6'0"
    Build Medium
    Date found 19 May 1996
    Estimated Death
    Body or remains Body

Circumstances

Body found on the bank of the River Avon. Believed he fell from Clifton suspension bridge.

Hair Light brown - Collar length
    Facial hair
    Eye colour Blue

Clothing

Jacket - Leather - Black

Shirt/blouse - Sweatshirt - Black - With 3 button and collar

Trousers - Jeans - Blue - "lee riders"

Footwear - Boots - Brown

Hose - Socks - White

Headwear - Checked - Cloth cap

Underwear - Underpants - Blue - Navy

Headwear - Baseball - Black - Logo on it

Underwear - Underpants - Green

Hose - Socks - Grey

Possessions

Silk cut cigarettes, Paperback book - 'The Greatest Batman Stories', Great Britain A-Z map, Thomas Moores 'Utopia' book, no outer cover and 'West Glamorgan County Council' on the front page, Holy Bible, London shopper, Guide map Eurohike Adventure, Black sleeping bag, Cardboard with handwritten message 'Sleeping rough, thank you', Green towel, Blue umbrella, Black corkscrew, 'Barclays' blank giro slip, 3 x disposable razors, Shaving stick, 'Lynx' body spray, Yellow toothbrush, Tin opener, Red penny whistle, White cup, 6.61 cash, Passport size photo

http://missingpersons.police.uk/en/c...001329/K8LF44F
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases-int/571umuk.html

Do you suppose he could be this Dutch fellow? Michel Rubarth would have been 25 yrs old. The hair colour, hair line, eye colour and height seem to match. They both had a black jacket.

https://www.politie.nl/en/wanted-and...l-rubarth.html

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases-int/2208dmnet.html

What do you think?
    Last edited by musicaljoke; 08-19-2016 at 07:42 PM.

Michel Rubarth disappeared about a year after Bristol John Doe was found, but thank you for suggestion.

few extra details from Porchlight profile http://z13.invisionfree.com/Porchlig...?showtopic=680

Distinguishing Characteristics:
    Slightly receeding brown/fair hair; blue/grey eyes. He was a well built man with size 11 shoes. He had no scars or tattoos.

Clothing:
    He was wearing blue 'Lee' denim jeans, a black leather jacket, a black sweatshirt with 3 buttons at the neck and brown boots.

Personal Effects:
    Silk Cut cigarettes, an old copy of Sir Thomas More's 16th century Utopia, a well used copy of the Bible, a paperback copy of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson, and a book of Batman stories. His holdall also held a sleeping bag, clothes, soap, razors, a tin opener, a corkscrew, a red penny whistle, a road map of Britain and a cardboard sign saying 'Sleeping rough, thank you'.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case History
    The victim was located in the early hours of the morning on the 19th of May 1996 at the bottom of Clifton Suspension bridge, Bristol.
    The photo shown, thought to be him, found on an old student card with all details scratched off, was found with various other possessions in a blue holdall.

And this is original link where Porchlight used information from. Quite interesting read about Cliffton Bridge, people who worked there, its victims and survivors.

Bristol's Suicide Bridge

http://www.fluidr.com/photos/brizzle...red/2042386519

Thanks for posting this thread, I'm from Bristol and would love to see this case solved. Such a clear picture of him, someone somewhere should recognise him, lets hope.

He certainly does have the look of German/Dutch doesn't he.

Quote Originally Posted by ellie b View Post
    He certainly does have the look of German/Dutch doesn't he.
    Actually I've always thought he had that English public school look. There's a "type" which is quite distinctive.

With regard to his student card, I wonder if "all details scratched off" relates only to his personal details or if it includes details of the university he was attending.

And were all his reading materials in English? Was his copy of Utopia in the original Latin or translated? If so, into which language? What language was his Bible?

Does anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by MelmothTheLost View Post
    Actually I've always thought he had that English public school look. There's a "type" which is quite distinctive.

With regard to his student card, I wonder if "all details scratched off" relates only to his personal details or if it includes details of the university he was attending.

And were all his reading materials in English? Was his copy of Utopia in the original Latin or translated? If so, into which language? What language was his Bible?

Does anyone know?
    As far as I am aware everything was in English, therefore assumption that he might not have come from mainland Europe (unless from bilingual family), but that he was rather British, Australian, South African or American.

Also, if you just hitchhike from x place to your friends or family place, you do not usually take maps with you, he did. Sounds to me he was exploring around a bit.
    But again, what hitchhiker takes umbrella and corkscrew with him? Hm yes, public school look comes to mind too.

Old student card suggests he might have studied in UK. Also he had in possession - "Thomas Moores 'Utopia' book, no outer cover and 'West Glamorgan County Council' on the front page" - long ago when I was checking details it showed that that council building no longer exists. I wonder if he was studying somewhere around Swansea area or was traveling from that area to Bristol and then planned to go further.

Wondering why he bothered to keep the school photo if he was going to scratch off the details, why not toss the whole thing?
    The uid wrote " sleeping rough " which to the best of my knowledge, is a UK term - in N.A, one would probably write " homeless "
    Did he receive poor marks at school and that caused him to either run away from home, or not return there?
    imo, speculation.

I've never done this before but scouring the missing people tonight and came across Mark Andrew Forth-Eglon http://www.doenetwork.org/cases-int/3894dmuk.html

I cant see a likeness but Mark is smiling, hair colour is similar,eye colour is right, height is out by an inch

pjimage.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by webnut View Post
    I've never done this before but scouring the missing people tonight and came across Mark Andrew Forth-Eglon http://www.doenetwork.org/cases-int/3894dmuk.html

I cant see a likeness but Mark is smiling, hair colour is similar,eye colour is right, height is out by an inch

Good find!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Al Ka View Post

"Thomas Moores 'Utopia' book, no outer cover and 'West Glamorgan County Council' on the front page" - long ago when I was checking details it showed that that council building no longer exists. I wonder if he was studying somewhere around Swansea area or was traveling from that area to Bristol and then planned to go further.
    That sounds like a library book, to me, or ex-library stock sold off cheap.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast