CA CA - Debbie Dorian, 22, Fresno, 22 Aug 1996

Yvettea

Reaction score
Debbie Dorian was about to graduate with a degree in economics from Fresno State when the twenty-two year old was found by her father in her north Fresno apartment bound, gagged and raped. She died of asphyxiation after duct tape was wrapped around her face and may have been dead for two days.

This week marks the 20th anniversary of Dorian's murder. Two detectives are coming out of retirement to reopen the case.

Police have DNA evidence linked to one man but believe others were present when she was killed and they are hoping now, one of the witnesses will come forward. The DNA found at the crime scene has been linked to a sexual assault three years later in Visalia, and that suspect linked to other assaults the last in 2002.

http://abc30.com/news/fresno-police-reopen-1996-rape-and-murder-cold-case/1476603/

I remember this.........I'm glad they're re opening the case.

I wonder if her parents are still alive.

Her mother was present at the news conference reopening the case and made some remarks.

"My life is good, my life is happy... but I will always miss my Deb," her mother said at the news conference.

Debbie Dorian was about to graduate with a degree in economics from Fresno State when the twenty-two year old was found by her father in her north Fresno apartment bound, gagged and raped. She died of asphyxiation after duct tape was wrapped around her face and may have been dead for two days.

This week marks the 20th anniversary of Dorian's murder. Two detectives are coming out of retirement to reopen the case.

Police have DNA evidence linked to one man but believe others were present when she was killed and they are hoping now, one of the witnesses will come forward. The DNA found at the crime scene has been linked to a sexual assault three years later in Visalia, and that suspect linked to other assaults the last in 2002.

http://abc30.com/news/fresno-police-reopen-1996-rape-and-murder-cold-case/1476603/

Ugh, he just keeps getting away with it. :( I think sometimes those are the hardest ones for me to read... where the suspect just keeps getting away with it and hurting more and more people. I hope they catch the guy and throw everything at him including the kitchen sink.

I would like to give this case a bump in light of a recent arrest in California. The offender in this case was likely also responsible for a series of assaults some that I believe took place in the street:

Fresno Police reopen 1996 rape and murder cold case

Here are details of the recent arrest of a man for crimes in California one of which took place in a park:

DNA cracks Sacramento rape cases from the 1990s

I just want to make the observation the offender in one of these cases used a stun gun which is quite unusual:

The first case involved a college student who was out jogging in January 1994 when she was grabbed by a masked man. He used a stun gun to drag her away and assaulted her, said Yolo County District Attorney Jeff Reisig.

I am so glad to hear this!
I remember when this happened, and Cedar and Teague is considered a nice side of town.
The miracles of DNA..

ETA..Crime is everywhere, no matter what side of town.
Glad this family can now get some peace.

Nick Duane Stane is seen in an undated photo provided by the Visalia Police Department. (KTLA)

screen-shot-2019-10-05-at-6.41.01-am.png

DNA Links Man Arrested in String of Sexual Assaults to 1996 Killing of Fresno College Student

"... Nick Duane Stane, 52,.... The news came as Stane pleaded not guilty in Tulare County court to a series of attacks on young women in Visalia from 1999 to 2002. He was ordered held without bail. ..."

Here is another report about the man connected to this crime and Visalia rape cases through the use of investigative genetic genealogy:

Accused rapist Nickey Stane's face may be more familiar than you thought

Here is another report:

ne (l) and Debbie Dorian (r)

Nickey Stane is a father, grandfather, and former Lyft driver who was named a prime suspect in the cold case death of Fresno, California college student Debbie Dorian, who was bound, gagged, raped and then murdered in her apartment in 1996.

For years, authorities believe, Stane harbored a secret as he went about what appeared on the outside to be a fairly typical life – dinners out with his kids, cooking on the grill at home.

Authorities have not formally charged Stane with Dorian’s death, but they revealed he was the suspect in a news conference. They say revolutionary DNA techniques – such as those used to catch the notorious Golden State Killer – led them to suspect Stane murdered Dorian and sexually assaulted women in nearby Visalia, California.

Nickey Stane: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Last edited:
Here is another report about the charges in this case:

Fresno County DA holds press conference in Debbie Dorian murder case

Here is another report about the charges:

For several months, Stane has been locked up in the Tulare County jail waiting for a trial. But Fresno County District Attorney Lisa Smittcamp and Tulare County District Attorney Tim Ward announced Wednesday they will combine the two cases, with Stane being tried in Fresno County.

Ward said it makes sense to have one jury decide Stane’s fate, rather than hold two separate trials.

Senior Deputy District Attorney Deborah Miller will be the prosecutor. Stane is expected to make his first Fresno County court appearance on Feb. 6 where he will be arraigned in Dept. 33.

If found guilty, Stane could face life in prison without the possibility of parole or the death penalty. Smittcamp, however, said that decision has not yet been made.

Read more here: https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article239744018.html#storylink=cpy

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article239744018.html

Here is another report about the charges in this case:

Investigators have now matched Stane's DNA to the Visalia sexual assaults and Dorian's murder, prosecutors said.

Stane, of Visalia, faces charges including murder, kidnapping, rape and sodomy. He could face the death penalty if convicted of all charges, prosecutors said.

"During the 23 years of waiting and searching, there have been so many people waiting and praying to solve Deb's case," said Loven, Dorian's mother. "Expressing how thankful I am doesn't touch the depth of my gratitude."

Man charged in college student's 1996 cold case murder: 'We will get some answers'

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back