750 users online (83 members and 667 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

OH COLUMBUS Inmate Romell Broom Who Survived 2009 Execution Appeals to High Court

August 23, 2016
    1:28 AM ET

Ohio Inmate Romell Brown Who Survived 2009 Execution Appeals to High Court

A condemned Ohio killer who survived a 2009 botched execution is asking the U.S. Supreme Court to declare that a second attempt to put him to death would be unconstitutional.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/let...6311?cid=sm_tw

I was about to say that I fully agree with the prisoner in this case, but then I read that "botched" meant they couldn't find a suitable vein to inject and I changed my mind. I draw blood for a living and it's entirely possible he messed up his own veins for this very reason. This guy abducted, raped and murdered a child. A jury of his peers found him guilty and sentenced him to death. He should NOT, IMO, get to get out of that by sticking sharp objects in himself to destroy his veins.

Somewhat O/T: I used to work in the ER in a very drug-ridden area. I had patients who had been shooting up for years and had destroyed all the veins in their arms, but we still had to find a vein to get blood from. Sometimes it was the upper arm, the cleavage area, wrist, feet, and sometimes the doc had to go in the femoral vein in the groin. Not fun, but effective.
    MOO

Botched and survived have different meanings to me than not being able to find the vein. Why didn't they just try later?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody.

Lily Tomlin

Double jeaprody my AFAIC he deserves no more rights than that which he gave his murder victim. No veins necessary for electricution or a firing squad.
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubby View Post
    Double jeaprody my AFAIC he deserves no more rights than that which he gave his murder victim. No veins necessary for electricution or a firing squad.
    Omg that was my exact point when I told my co worker about this story. I said "this wouldn't have happened in a firing squad."

I always wondered why somebody doesn't do something about that. Then I realized I was somebody.

Lily Tomlin

The double jeopardy issue in a case such as this has already been argued and ruled on years ago in Francis vs Resweber. The US Supreme Court ruled that double jeopardy does not apply in these cases.

Francis vs Resweber

or an overview of the argument & decision can be read on Wikipedia

Quote Originally Posted by KayElJay View Post
    The double jeopardy issue in a case such as this has already been argued and ruled on years ago in Francis vs Resweber. The US Supreme Court ruled that double jeopardy does not apply in these cases.

Francis vs Resweber

or an overview of the argument & decision can be read on Wikipedia
    Good read and sleuthing Kay!!! 👍🏼

Quote Originally Posted by GeeEm View Post
    Good read and sleuthing Kay!!! 
    Thanks. I wish I could chalk it up to good sleuthing. A 'hobby' of mine is tracking capital punishment cases through the court system from the time of arrest all the way through the numerous appeals & to conclusion (whatever that may be). This (relatively) useless fact was just stored away in the jumble that is my brain, lol.

The U.S. Supreme Court declined Monday to hear a challenge from a death row inmate who argued that because the state botched its first attempt to execute him, trying again would be unconstitutional.

The court turned the case down in a brief one-line order. Justices Stephen Breyer and Elena Kagan said they would have granted the appeal to decide the issue.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...ection-n694856

Court schedules 2nd execution attempt for Ohio killer

"COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Ohio Supreme Court has set a new execution date for a convicted killer who survived a botched execution attempt in 2009.

The court last week scheduled the lethal procedure for death row inmate Romell Broom for June 17, 2020.

Broom was sentenced to die for abducting, raping and killing 14-year-old Tryna Middleton in Cleveland in 1984.

The 62-year-old Broom is only the second U.S. inmate to survive an execution after the process began.

The state stopped Broom’s execution after two hours in September 2009, when executioners failed to find a usable vein following 18 attempts to insert needles..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.503f37a54a54
    ---

Daughter’s rape, killing in 1984 haunts parents

Sep 13, 2009
    "EAST CLEVELAND, Ohio -- It’s been 25 years, and the painful memories linger of the day that Bessye Middleton’s 14-year-old daughter was raped and stabbed to death.
    Tryna Middleton was abducted at knifepoint on Sept. 21, 1984, while she was walking home from a Friday night football game with two friends...

“It’s been 25 years, and the pain has gotten a little bit better, but there is not a single day that I don’t get up and think about her during some point in the day,” said Bessye Middleton, 65.

Tryna’s father, David Middleton, a retired auto worker, won’t drive down the street where his daughter was abducted, and for years, he became nauseated on returning to a home filled with memories. Bessye Middleton will drive down the street where her daughter was taken only when she heads to church on Sundays...

Bessye Middleton thinks the time has come.

“It’s not that you want somebody’s life to be taken from them, but he’s trying to beat the system,” she said in an even tone. “We had to suffer. He’s had 25 years longer than her.”.."

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...3_3AF2A5E.html

Link: http://murderpedia.org/male.B/images..._Middleton.jpg
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------

Travis Alexander (1977-2008)

Teghan Alyssa Skiba (RIP sweet baby)
    -------------------------
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle. - Ian MacLaren

The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it - Flannery O'connor

OH COLUMBUS Inmate Romell Broom Who Survived 2009 Execution Appeals to High Court

You know how we can stop people surviving lethal injection?
    Go back to firing squad.

ETA: oh that's funny. I already commented on this thread about a firing squad last year. Lol. Guess I should read more.

Lily Tomlin

Painless execution

There is a painless method of execution that we Americans ignore--I suppose because it is so gruesomely messy.

The guillotine.

Its irritating that the Ohio Supreme Court has reset the execution THREE YEARS down the road. WHY?! I know Ohio had stays in place while they redid the execution procedures, but I believe those have been resolved. It just seems that the Ohio Sup Ct and perhaps Governor just don't want to do it. I understand some have a problem with capital punishment and I respect those opinions. But its the law, and it should be carried out.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/o...iller-48850968

Just an update, Ohio has conducted another execution, its first in 3 years. So its execution protocol has been approved and appeared to go off without a hitch. Ohio has a backlog of executions, so we will see if the start to happen more regularly now.

I saw botched and I was like wow, the drugs didn't kill him or something? Then I read it was bc of them not finding a vein. That's not botched. That's life. I have several chronic illness that mean several ER visits, procedures, etc. Do you know how many times they can't get a needle stick or as soon as they do my veins collapse? Well, they keep trying and trying and trying. But he probably cried like a baby and started on his "cruel and unusual punishment" right there. I bet there were many places they didnt try to get the IV in, and if they felt they were out of options, why not get out the drill? or a central line or mid-line?

Anyway, he deserves the punishment he received and it was not botched.
    **When will Niki get her justice? When will they care? Murdered 4/18/2016**
    “There are many things worth living for, a few things worth dying for, and nothing worth killing for.”

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast