GUILTY CA - Charles Gillespie, 73, found dismembered, San Bernardino, 29 Oct 2005

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Investigators are trying to find out who is responsible for dismembering a body and dumping the parts along Highway 138 in San Bernardino and in a local park.

"(Witnesses) saw what looked like body parts but thought it was a hoax," Cindy Beavers, a spokeswoman for the San Bernardino Sheriff's Department, said. "(They) kept driving but then changed their minds, turned around and went back and determined that it was, in fact, human body parts."

Four hours later and 25 miles away, a senior citizen found a man's torso while walking her dog in Wildwood Park.

"Detectives are not sure if the victim was killed prior to being dismembered or if it was the actual dismemberment that killed him," Beavers told NBC4.
http://www.nbc4.tv/news/5218239/detail.html

mysteriew said:
"Detectives are not sure if the victim was killed prior to being dismembered or if it was the actual dismemberment that killed him," Beavers told NBC4.
OMG!! How can someone do that to another human being??? :sick: That is absolutely sickening!

Ever since the early 80's when they found John Walsh's son's Adam's head along side a road, I have always kept an eye out on the side of the road whenever I'm driving, looking for body parts.

And luckily, I've never discovered anything.

was the rest of Adam Walsh's body ever found? I never knew someone found his head, I kinda always thought he was just missing.

It is beyond me how anyone could cut up a human body...even if the person is already dead. It is just to horrible to think about.

Can you imagine the poor people who found him? They noticed it and drove on by thinking it was a Holloween prank. Then they decided to go back and check just in case. I would have been horrified.

More than a day after pieces of a middle-aged man were found about 30 miles apart, his identity and killer remained a mystery.

Typically, dismemberment is an attempt to conceal a body. However, this case is different, said San Bernardino County sheriff's Sgt. Frank Bell.

"Everything was left in plain view," Bell said.

The dismembered man was white, with a medium build, about 45 to 60 years old and between 5 feet 9 inches and 6 feet tall.

He was bald with dark brown or red hair on the side and back of his head. He also has a gray mustache and his eyebrows are brown, thick and long, according to a Sheriff's Department news release.

There was no indication that the killing took place where the body parts were found, Bell said. Investigators do not know when the man was killed, but decomposition had not set in Sunday morning.
http://www.pe.com/breakingnews/local/stories/PE_News_Local_S_body01.1770b268.html

Investigators have identified a man whose dismembered remains were found along Highway 138 in San Bernardino and in a local park.

The victim is a 73-year-old man who lives in the city of San Bernardino, but his name is being withheld pending notification of family, investigators told NBC4.

At first glance, witnesses Sunday thought they were seeing Halloween props strewn down the highway, but it was no hoax, NBC4's Mary Parks reported.

"(Witnesses) saw what looked like body parts but thought it was a hoax," Cindy Beavers, a spokeswoman for the San Bernardino Sheriff's Department, said. "(They) kept driving but then changed their minds, turned around and went back and determined that it was, in fact, human body parts."

Two legs, two arms and a human head were simply dumped on the side of the road, Parks reported.

Four hours later and 25 miles away, a senior citizen found a man's torso while walking her dog in Wildwood Park.

"Based on the evidence at the scene on 138 and the evidence here at Wildwood Park, we are confident that the torso belongs to the limbs and head found on 138," San Bernardino Sheriff's Department Sgt. Frank Bell told NBC4.

More: http://www.nbc4.tv/news/5218239/detail.html

These body parts were found in my area. About 15 minutes drive out Main Street past Hesperia lake on the way to Silverwood Lake. My hubby takes a new road right behind our house and rides down there all the time. In fact he rode down there early in the morning on Sunday. Scary!!!! I'm glad they finally found out who he is.

PLUS - our Scout troop was at Silverwood Lake on sunday doing cleanup. They drove right past it. Last night at the meeting they were talking about it - poor fellas are a little freaked out.

I just can't imagine driving down the road and seeing a hand or leg lying on the side. Blows my mind!
The sheriff's sgt made a good point about the dismemberment. He said that usually dismemberment was done as part of an attempt to cover up a murder. But in this case, since all of the body parts were left along the road- very unusual.

Police today searched a home they believe was used in the slaying and dismemberment of a 73-year-old disabled man whose body parts were found scattered in two places in San Bernardino County.

The victim was identified as Charles Gillespie, who had a disability pension and was living with a caregiver, authorities said.

San Bernardino police Sgt. Mike Desrochers said authorities have not determined whether Gillespie was killed first and then dismembered.

Authorities went to Gillespie's home in the 3300 block of E Street on Tuesday afternoon.

When the caregiver, identified as Charmain Bergmann, 53, opened the door, they were met with "the overwhelming smell of someone who had used too many cleaning products," one law enforcement authority said.

Officials smelled bleach, and saw that sections of the home's floor had been stained by bleach or a cleaning product.

Police interviewed Bergmann, but said no one has been identified, or ruled out, as a suspect.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-110205bodyparts_lat,0,5988019.story?coll=la-home-local

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. -- The man whose dismembered remains were found along a highway and in a park 25 miles away was identified Tuesday as a 73-year-old San Bernardino resident, authorities said.

Charles Gillespie, whose dismembered body was dumped early Sunday, rented a room in the 33000 block of N. East Street in San Bernardino, NBC4 reported.

"The coroner's office did the final identification through dental records," San Bernardino Police Lt. Mark Garcia told NBC4. "And part of the identification came from a missing person's report filed on Mr. Gillespie that brought us to this location."

NBC4 learned Gillespie was a quiet, bearded individual, who looked a lot like Santa Claus.

He survived on Social Security because he was developmentally disabled, NBC4 reported.

Gillespie was living with a court-appointed caretaker, police said. Neighbors believed he suffered from the early stages of Alzheimer's and often walked away from his home.

Gillespie's torso was found in Wildwood Park, near Waterman Avenue and 40th Street in north San Bernardino.

Four hours earlier, his head, legs and arms were discovered stacked up in a turnout along Highway 138.

Police believe Gillespie's home is the scene of the crime but they would not speculate on a motive.

The 55-year-old woman who lives at the house left with police, NBC4 reported.

"I've lived here for three years, and I never even knew there was a man that lived there," neighbor Dorothy Gutierrez said. "All I had ever seen was her, just her, you know? Just her. I never saw anybody else."

More: http://www.nbc4.tv/news/5237345/detail.html?rss=la&psp=news

PrayersForMaura said:
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. -- The man whose dismembered remains were found along a highway and in a park 25 miles away was identified Tuesday as a 73-year-old San Bernardino resident, authorities said.

Charles Gillespie, whose dismembered body was dumped early Sunday, rented a room in the 33000 block of N. East Street in San Bernardino, NBC4 reported.

"The coroner's office did the final identification through dental records," San Bernardino Police Lt. Mark Garcia told NBC4. "And part of the identification came from a missing person's report filed on Mr. Gillespie that brought us to this location."

NBC4 learned Gillespie was a quiet, bearded individual, who looked a lot like Santa Claus.

He survived on Social Security because he was developmentally disabled, NBC4 reported.

Gillespie was living with a court-appointed caretaker, police said. Neighbors believed he suffered from the early stages of Alzheimer's and often walked away from his home.

Gillespie's torso was found in Wildwood Park, near Waterman Avenue and 40th Street in north San Bernardino.

Four hours earlier, his head, legs and arms were discovered stacked up in a turnout along Highway 138.

Police believe Gillespie's home is the scene of the crime but they would not speculate on a motive.

The 55-year-old woman who lives at the house left with police, NBC4 reported.

"I've lived here for three years, and I never even knew there was a man that lived there," neighbor Dorothy Gutierrez said. "All I had ever seen was her, just her, you know? Just her. I never saw anybody else."

More: http://www.nbc4.tv/news/5237345/detail.html?rss=la&psp=news
........so, I take it that she didn't report him as missing, right?

hmmmmm.............let me see,................let me put my thinking cap on here...........................................who should I bring in for questioning?............................... :doh: ................................

:crazy:
fran

jannuncutt said:
........so, I take it that she didn't report him as missing, right?

Someone reported him missing, but the article doesn't say who it was.

The arrest of Charmain Louise Bergmann came 10 months after the dismembered remains of Charles Gillespie were found dumped in two locations about 30 miles apart.

Police arrested Bergmann, 54, at her North E Street home about 4 p.m., police Sgt. William Hanley said.

County prosecutors on Friday charged Bergmann with one count of murder and elder abuse in the Oct. 29 stabbing death of Gillespie, Hanley said.

Hanley cited the diligence of detectives and crime-scene investigators who collected abundant evidence from Bergmann's home in the 3300 block of North E Street in the days following Gillespie's death.

He also gave a nod to the Coroner's Office and the sheriff's crime lab in helping put together the case.

"There's been a team of detectives working on this, despite a heavy caseload, for nearly a year now," said Hanley. "It's something that's always been on our priority list, and while there's still work to be done, we're optimistic about our efforts so far"

more at link.
OB

http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_4139128

I wonder what took them so long to arrest her? Seems like the evidence was overwhelming ...

PaperDoll said:
I wonder what took them so long to arrest her? Seems like the evidence was overwhelming ...
My thoughts exactly! I mean, she answered the door with the smell of cleaning products overwhelming the investigators... can we say "duh!"? Doesn't take Columbo to figure this out. Why wait so long?

Oh, this is even better. From the article, "Detectives noted a stench of bleach emitting from the remains, which also had human bite marks on them. During a search of Bergmann's home, where Gillespie resided, detectives found a bloodstained carpet in Gillespie's bedroom and blood spatter on the walls, an entertainment center and a pillow, authorities said. A hacksaw blade and a bottle of a Clorox bleach were found in the kitchen, according to search warrants filed in court."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts
Back