TX - Samuel Jarnigan Lea, 28, found strangled, Arlington, 26 Oct 2005

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Police Monday said someone killed a young man who was reportedly a student at the University of Texas at Arlington.

Investigators said Samuel Jarnigan Lea, 28, was found inside his apartment near the school in the 100 block of East Third Street at Center Street.

Lt. Blake Miller said a concerned friend who hadn't heard from Lea in some time called police at about midnight.

"A friend had come by to check on the resdent there, smelled a foul odor, didn't want to go in the apartment," Miller said.
http://www.nbc5i.com/news/5216947/detail.html

What is with all of these college kids turning up dead?

The person who killed a student at the University of Texas at Arlington could be driving the victim's car, according to police.

Police said someone killed Samuel Jarnigan Lea, 28, inside his apartment near UTA in the 100 block of East Third Street at Center Street and then fled in Lea's car.

Lt. Blake Miller described Lea's vehicle as a silver 2004 Chevrolet Avalanche with Texas license plate 34FYB1.
http://www.nbc5i.com/news/5226951/detail.html

I have a question, How long does a case need to go unsolved to be considered a cold case.. I recently lost my bestest friend in the whole world and the detective is just sitting on it.. Another case of "Gay unsolved murder" I am sure.. Sam was killed on or around October 26-30 and discovered on October 31st.. It has died from the media attention, except one lonley gay activist newspaper. But I dont think it will ever be solved.

Jennirey

(Justice for Sam Lea 1977-2005)

jennirey said:
I have a question, How long does a case need to go unsolved to be considered a cold case.. ...
What constitutes a Cold Case? Good question. I think that the definition would have to lie with each law enforcement agency. A case with very little evidence might be destined to become a cold case, but not in only a few months (as in your friend's murder). Usually the case has to be actively pursued for a time (which would vary depending on each location, amount of clues, public interest, and other factors), and then after a period of no information, it would be reviewed and retired to cold case status.

This forum does not have any kind of definition for the term Cold Case. In fact, many of the cases discussed here are actually "current, active, open" cases after more than 30 years (as in the case of the missing Lyon sisters). Other cases are simply put here because they are of interest to a forum member and discussed. There are cases which have not been looked at by police since the turn of the last century. And just about any unidentified John/Jane Doe case might appear here.

Most of the links provided to other websites will give a police contact address or phone number and they never state that it is a "cold case".

jennirey said:
I have a question, How long does a case need to go unsolved to be considered a cold case.. I recently lost my bestest friend in the whole world and the detective is just sitting on it.. Another case of "Gay unsolved murder" I am sure.. Sam was killed on or around October 26-30 and discovered on October 31st.. It has died from the media attention, except one lonley gay activist newspaper. But I dont think it will ever be solved.

Jennirey

(Justice for Sam Lea 1977-2005)
I am sorry about your friend, do you know the circumstances surrounding his murder? Maybe you could email some local tv channels with some info to see if they can get this murder out there and see if there are any witnesses, i emailed nancy grace about a murder of a young mom here in maryland where i live to see if we could get some air time. These victims deserve that......Good Luck to you...

Doesn't 'cold case' refer to the LE has exhausted all known leads, does not have enough evidence to arrest anyone, and have no further direction to go with the case? Often a cold case per LE is cold, but still considered open?
And LE very seldom will admit to a case being cold, unless they are referring it to a cold case unit, or they have arrested someone. Then it may show up in the paper as being a cold case. Otherwise, all LE will say is it remains an open investigation.

mysteriew said:
Doesn't 'cold case' refer to the LE has exhausted all known leads, does not have enough evidence to arrest anyone, and have no further direction to go with the case? Often a cold case per LE is cold, but still considered open?
And LE very seldom will admit to a case being cold, unless they are referring it to a cold case unit, or they have arrested someone. Then it may show up in the paper as being a cold case. Otherwise, all LE will say is it remains an open investigation.
I think you are right, thats what i thought it meant too....

michelle said:
I am sorry about your friend, do you know the circumstances surrounding his murder? Maybe you could email some local tv channels with some info to see if they can get this murder out there and see if there are any witnesses, i emailed nancy grace about a murder of a young mom here in maryland where i live to see if we could get some air time. These victims deserve that......Good Luck to you...
There were witnesses that saw a "Person of intrest" (possibly homeless) around Sam's apartment but not during the time that the murder took place.. Theya re trying to tie it to another murder of another Gay male, or to possibly 5 other murders here.. http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/tv/stories/wfaa051214_mo_gaymurders.de0866d.htmlAccording to Det Lenoire of Arlington PD. this person of intrest was picked out of the line up, but since no one could place him there at the time when the crime happened and there is no more evdence Since this guy really did not want to be caught.. http://www.theshorthorn.com/archive/2005/fall/05-nov-18/n111805-01.html The guy cleaned up after himself, Just like on a CSI episode.
I have contacted print reporters, And David Webb of the Dallas Voice is keeping the story going.. Others just wont reply back.

If there is a better forum, that a thread could be started for Sma.. Please advise..

Jennirey, it sounds as though LE is working the case. I know as a friend, you want someone to be arrested as of yesterday. But the investigation does take time. One thing you can do, is print up some posters, with your friend's picture, and the address where his murder occurred. Post those in the area asking for anyone who may have seen someone suspicious in the area that date and time to come forward. Don't list the suspect's name, or anything specific about him as that could taint the investigation, wait until LE names him publicly.

Hi. I am sorry about your friend. I looked for you in this site and there really isn't a forum that discusses current unsolved crimes, that I could find. I am surprised. I haven't eve thought about that. I think we need to request a forum for that. Meanwhile, you may want to ask one of the mods to post your friend in the Weekly Spotlight forum. Maybe it would generate interest. I pray you will find justice. Everyone deserves justice, especially ones we love.

jennirey,

Can you share which print organizations you've contacted? Have any other papers printed anything about Sam yet?

Yaya said:
Maybe the moderators would start a new section for Active Cases. :)
Good idea. The missing/located case discussion section does not seem quite the place but maybe it could serve in the meantime?

mysteriew said:
I was told that every case in my county has to be reviewed every 30 days. After 6 months, if there is no new leads or additional information, the case is put on a shelf. Every six months it has to be rreviewed.

reportertype said:
jennirey,

Can you share which print organizations you've contacted? Have any other papers printed anything about Sam yet?
I have contacted the Dallas Voice - A gay activist community paper and The shorthorn (UTA's Paper) a newspaper that Sam worked for himself. The shorthorn did not contact me back, David Webb at Dallas voice did. All of the local newspapers printed the news when it first happened, But I guess he is not news anymore to the major broadcasters.

If you haven't already, you might try the Fort Worth Weekly or the Dallas Observer.

They're "alternative" publications, which basically just means they're weeklies and tabloid sized. Both do news stories; the stories tend to be longer and more in-depth. They might do something whereas the other media outlets would probably wait till something "new" happens. It might be worth a shot, especially if there are other gay victims; I would be sure to mention that because it might help generate interest. Good luck. I hope one of these papers takes an interest.

www.fwweekly.com
www.dallasobserver.com

I forgot to add this:

If you go to the Web sites, you'll notice the Observer esp. tends to be less stodgy than other papers. The headline is has this week sort of makes it look like a joke publication, but don't let it throw you. They've done some good crime reporting in the past.

:woohoo: Hey All
I wanted to say my friends Killer has finally been caught. I have prayed for this day to come. I am so relieved for his family and all of his friends. I think we can all finally sleep at night knowing that this creep is off the streets. According to the evidence trail, they can now pin point the date of my friends death. I am not sure I will ever understand why this happened to someone that was such a wonderful person. I am just glad him family can now have some peace.

:behindbar
"Kyle Nathan Johnson, 20, was picked up by Arlington police officers who had a warrant for his arrest in Lake Dallas about 1 p.m. Friday. Johnson was being held in the Lake Dallas jail, and his bond was set at $250,000. The warrant was issued Jan. 20.

Lea, 28, was found dead Oct. 31 in his apartment at 100 E. Third St. after his parents filed a missing person’s report. A friend reportedly went to his apartment to check on him and smelled a “foul odor” then called police."

http://www.theshorthorn.com/new/archives/2006/spring/012706/n11.asp

jennirey said:
:woohoo: Hey All
I wanted to say my friends Killer has finally been caught. I have prayed for this day to come. I am so relieved for his family and all of his friends. I think we can all finally sleep at night knowing that this creep is off the streets. According to the evidence trail, they can now pin point the date of my friends death. I am not sure I will ever understand why this happened to someone that was such a wonderful person. I am just glad him family can now have some peace.

:behindbar
"Kyle Nathan Johnson, 20, was picked up by Arlington police officers who had a warrant for his arrest in Lake Dallas about 1 p.m. Friday. Johnson was being held in the Lake Dallas jail, and his bond was set at $250,000. The warrant was issued Jan. 20.

Lea, 28, was found dead Oct. 31 in his apartment at 100 E. Third St. after his parents filed a missing person’s report. A friend reportedly went to his apartment to check on him and smelled a “foul odor” then called police."

http://www.theshorthorn.com/new/archives/2006/spring/012706/n11.asp

I live in the DFW area and remember reading about your friend's murder. I've wondered about it. I'm glad that someone has been arrested. Hopefully that will bring some small dose of comfort to his family and friends.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back