1193 users online (293 members and 900 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Italy, Perugia--A magnitude 6.2 earthquake has struck central Italy

A magnitude 6.2 earthquake has struck central Italy,leaving at least six people dead and others trapped under rubble, Italian officials said.

The quake hit at 03:36 (01:36 GMT), 76 km (47 miles) southeast of the city of Perugia, at the very shallow depth of 10km (six miles), the USGS said.
    The Mayor of Amatrice told Italian radio "half the town is gone".
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37171953
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

A magnitude 6.2 earthquake has struck central Italy, leaving at least 38 people dead and 150 missing, as rescuers search for survivors.
    Many of the dead were in Accumoli, close to the epicentre, and a short distance away in Amatrice, which was largely reduced to rubble.
    The village of Pescara del Tronto was levelled to the ground and the number of dead was expected to rise
    "At Websleuths we take pride in being a notch above the rest. " Harmony2, WS
    * *. * * *. *. *. *
    Justice for Julia Niswender
    Justice for Christopher Preston 9/7/2013 - 10/10/2
    Chelsea Bruck, missing 10/26/2014, found 4/24/2015
    Find Eric Franks (40) Missing from Bridgeport, MI since March 2011

Pictures from http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37171953
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Spellbound; 08-24-2016 at 10:07 AM.
    * *. * * *. *. *. *

I hope this isn't one of those stories where the death rate keeps climbing...
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    I hope this isn't one of those stories where the death rate keeps climbing...

It probably is.... latest CNN report said over 60 deaths now.
    * *. * * *. *. *. *

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...uake/89240378/

At least 73 people were reported killed and dozens more were missing or feared dead Wednesday after a magnitude-6.2 earthquake and a series of aftershocks struck several towns in central Italy, toppling scores of buildings, according to Italy’s civil protection agency.
    Hardest hit were towns in the regions of Umbria, Lazio and Marche some 80 to 100 miles northeast of Rome.
    MOO

Reply with Quote is everyone's friend.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.” Patrick Moynihan

I Stand with Standing Rock.

I'm supposed to leave for Italy in about 10 days or so. I have been reluctant to go because - I don't know why. Now, maybe I do know why.

My son is in Northern Italy and although I don't believe they were affected, some of those old buildings, including where he lives will crumble like matchsticks, having been around since medieval times, patched up and cobbled back together.
    "In a time of universal deceit -- telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

So very sad, and yes the things that make these Italian cities magical also makes them extremely susseptible to crumbling. Heartbroken for all the missing and lost lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Spellbound View Post
    It is very interesting to see a modern looking building appears completely intact among the rubble. I love European older cities and the beauty of the character of the older buildings.

BetteDavisEyes is online now "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    I'm supposed to leave for Italy in about 10 days or so. I have been reluctant to go because - I don't know why. Now, maybe I do know why.

My son is in Northern Italy and although I don't believe they were affected, some of those old buildings, including where he lives will crumble like matchsticks, having been around since medieval times, patched up and cobbled back together.
    I hope your son is alright. Safe travels.

BetteDavisEyes is online now "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

A magnitude 6.2 earthquake has struck central Italy, leaving at least 38 people dead and 150 missing, as rescuers search for survivors.
    Many of the dead were in Accumoli, close to the epicentre, and a short distance away in Amatrice, which was largely reduced to rubble.
    The village of Pescara del Tronto was levelled to the ground and the number of dead was expected to rise
    Thanks for the BBC article. I didn't recall an earthquake in Italy and was interested in the links that indicate the history of earthquakes there and the ever-present threat in some regions of the country.

Trident, are you plans for anywhere near the devastated areas? Will you still be going? And please .... can you update on how your son is? I do hope all is OK in his area and you have no worries about him. Praying....
    * *. * * *. *. *. *

Trident, are you plans for anywhere near the devastated areas? Will you still be going? And please .... can you update on how your son is? I do hope all is OK in his area and you have no worries about him. Praying....
    I'm not sure I will be going. For some reason I just don't seem to want to and that it is rather odd. I've been there twice, a month each time, and toured quite a bit. My son lives in the Venito region, Northern Italy, at the foot of the Dolomite Mountains. I haven't heard from him, but I'm sure he's all right. When I do go, the plane comes into Venice and then we travel up north to his place. This year we were planning to go to a Medieval Fair which is a big attraction, but I'm not sure where that is held. After that, we were going to fly to London for a few days. I have an International Driver's License so I sometimes take his car and travel around. It has a GPS in English, so I don't get lost.

Here's one of the places I drove to, up in the mountains. It's quite famous for the tragedy that happened there. Roughly 2,500 people died. All along the way there are flower memorials, statuary honoring the dead, and religious shrines to entire families:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajont_Dam
    http://www.environmentandsociety.org...ide-vajont-dam

Italy has survived many disasters over the ages. So sad. I wish I had a way to post some of my pictures, but right now I have tears for the dead. It seems disaster after disaster and death after death these days. That's another reason I may be loath to go. I'm old, right with God, and not afraid to die, BUT getting offed by some jihadist was never on my list of ways to go.

Thanks to you all for your concern for my son. I'm 99% sure he's okay. I just wish everyone was.
    Last edited by Trident; 08-24-2016 at 08:01 PM.
    "In a time of universal deceit -- telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

I'm not sure I will be going. For some reason I just don't seem to want to and that it is rather odd. I've been there twice, a month each time, and toured quite a bit. My son lives in the Venito region, Northern Italy, at the foot of the Dolomite Mountains. I haven't heard from him, but I'm sure he's all right. When I do go, the plane comes into Venice and then we travel up north to his place. This year we were planning to go to a Medieval Fair which is a big attraction, but I'm not sure where that is held. After that, we were going to fly to London for a few days. I have an International Driver's License so I sometimes take his car and travel around. It has a GPS in English, so I don't get lost.

Here's one of the places I drove to, up in the mountains. It's quite famous for the tragedy that happened there. All along the way there are flower memorials, statuary honoring the dead, and religious shrines to entire families:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajont_Dam
    http://www.environmentandsociety.org...ide-vajont-dam

Italy has survived many disasters over the ages. So sad. I wish I had a way to post some of my pictures, but right now I have tears for the dead. It seems disaster after disaster and death after death these days. That's another reason I may be loath to go. I'm old, right with God, and not afraid to die, BUT getting offed by some jihadist was never on my list of ways to go.

Thanks to you all for your concern for my son. I'm 99% sure he's okay. I just wish everyone was.
    Trident, Hoping you hear from your son soon, hope all is well with him. If you do go I hope you have a good time and please take care.
    Just know one thing, I am the majority.

Adios amego's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast