758 users online (95 members and 663 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    valparaiso in
    Posts
    1,704

    Trooper shoots deaf man

    Last edited by sillybilly; 08-24-2016 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Let's not start off with the race card.
    I understood every word you said. It was the order that you said them that has me confused.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,486

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    1,208
    There was a vigil for him a couple of nights ago here. Yesterday, a criminal investigation was announced into the shooting. He was white and deaf, and he was shot by a black trooper after a 6-8 mile chase that started on 485 (a major highway here) and ended in front of his home. He apparently got out of the car and was shot. Police are asking for witnesses to come forward.
    So far, there isn't a major uproar, IMO, about this. Most people in comments are questioning why a deaf man can drive more than the shooting. I haven't seen any national attention yet, and I have been waiting for something we have seen in similar cases.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    876
    The only questions I have are:

    1. Did the trooper have his emergency lights on?

    2. Why did the guy not pull over if so?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    41,422
    And it says there was a high speed chase. How was there a high speed chase if the driver supposedly didn't know he was being stopped by the Trooper? I don't get that.



    from above link:


    Authorities said Harris didn't comply and led them on a high-speed chase back to his Seven Oaks home. Steps away from his front door, police said there was an encounter. Harris was shot and killed.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    1,208
    Quote Originally Posted by CSIDreamer View Post
    The only questions I have are:

    1. Did the trooper have his emergency lights on?

    2. Why did the guy not pull over if so?
    The lights were on, and apparently he knew he was being pursued. I am looking for he links, because it has suddenly fallen of the webpage of my normal go to for local news. Yesterday his previous record was published which had a couple charges for resisting arrest, but iirc, most were dropped. I'll be back with links.
    http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/fam...-man/428580371
    Last edited by Dockins; 08-24-2016 at 11:09 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,400
    Not much info yet as to the circumstances of the shooting. Are they saying he got out of the car and looked like he was armed?
    Doesn't make much sense to lead police on a high speed chase to YOUR OWN HOUSE!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    1,208
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolJ View Post
    Not much info yet as to the circumstances of the shooting. Are they saying he got out of the car and looked like he was armed?
    Doesn't make much sense to lead police on a high speed chase to YOUR OWN HOUSE!
    I'm shocked that the trooper was identified so early on. No details have been in the articles about what happened after he got out of the car. When it was breaking news I saw everything from he was running towards his home to he was running towards the officer. If there was a shot in the back, it might answer that.
    I can totally see a scenario where a deaf man gets out of the car and is frantically trying to sign toward the officer, and that is mistaken for a potential hostile act, but not sure why even that would warrant lethal force. I think the statement that the SBI being involved now investigating it as a criminal act is a hint that perhaps the shooting and narrative given by the trooper wasn't sitting well with investigators. All moo.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,400
    Anybody know if the hearing impaired are required to place some sort of signage on their vehicles indicating so?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockins View Post
    I'm shocked that the trooper was identified so early on. No details have been in the articles about what happened after he got out of the car. When it was breaking news I saw everything from he was running towards his home to he was running towards the officer. If there was a shot in the back, it might answer that.
    I can totally see a scenario where a deaf man gets out of the car and is frantically trying to sign toward the officer, and that is mistaken for a potential hostile act, but not sure why even that would warrant lethal force. I think the statement that the SBI being involved now investigating it as a criminal act is a hint that perhaps the shooting and narrative given by the trooper wasn't sitting well with investigators. All moo.
    Yea, the high speed chase to his own home doesnt make sense to me. He obviously wasnt trying to get away. I have been pulled over before and didnt notice the cop cars lights until i heard the sirens. But on the other hand, hearing impaired folks are probably more likely to rely on their other senses especially while driving.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    State of Bliss
    Posts
    1,208
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolJ View Post
    Anybody know if the hearing impaired are required to place some sort of signage on their vehicles indicating so?
    Not in NC that I am aware of. The brother is also deaf, and in this terrible time for him and his family, they want to find ways to improve the interactions between LE and deaf/mute persons. I really think they want some good to come of Mr. Harris's death, IMO, and are trying to find solutions instead of just blame.
    If the driver didn't see the police cruiser lights, I do not know why he would stop the car and exit it not parked properly. That's the issue I find troubling, but cannot see why he would be shot with what has been released so far. Everyone is waiting on answers. With the baby being put in the fridge and dying, and the local homeowner who shot a teenage burglar here recently, this story isn't front page like it was yesterday. At least today I'm finally seeing national coverage.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    DofC
    Posts
    20,921
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolJ View Post
    Not much info yet as to the circumstances of the shooting. Are they saying he got out of the car and looked like he was armed?
    Doesn't make much sense to lead police on a high speed chase to YOUR OWN HOUSE!
    Because people never barricade themselves inside their own homes after such chases?
    __________
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone, it's not ... The worst thing in life is to end up with people that make you feel all alone." - Robin Williams

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    41,422
    Quote Originally Posted by popsicle View Post
    Because people never barricade themselves inside their own homes after such chases?
    Living in the Los Angeles area, I see quite a few silly high speed car chases. It seems that quite a few find their way back to their own neighborhoods. Many flee on foot when they get to familiar streets near their own homes.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,129
    Our neighbor did a hit and run with property damage. He was DUI. He lead police on a high speed chase right to his house. They had put out stop sticks and everything to try to stop him. He was determined to get to his house even with several cops on his tail.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boca Baton, FL
    Posts
    439
    I could see him waiting to get home before pulling over due to his disability. Perhaps someone at his house could have acted as a translator. I was always told to pullover only when I felt it was safe (in a public place, for example). Perhaps he anticipated the police officer taking his inability to communicate as him not complying so he decided to lead him home to appear not threatening and an interpreter would be there. This is just a random thought. I don't recall if we know that anyone was home. All IMO
    "He who does not prevent a crime when he can, encourages it.
    ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca

    My confession... I


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. GUILTY PA - Trooper David Kedra, 26, fatally shot by fellow trooper, 30 Sept 2014
    By Richrd in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-29-2015, 07:19 PM
  2. OK - Deaf boy, 8, crashes car in OKC
    By wfgodot in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2015, 03:11 PM
  3. PA - Woman Shoots Boyfriend And Then Shoots Herself
    By Filly in forum Crimes in the News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2010, 07:37 PM