MS - Sr. Margaret Held & Sr. Paula Merrill, murdered, Durant, 25 Aug 2016 *Arrest*

MsArk

Reaction score
Authorities are investigating the brutal killings of two nuns that were reportedly stabbed to death at their home in Holmes County.

Sister Paula Merrill, a nurse practitioner with the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth in Kentucky, and Sister Margaret Held, a nurse practitioner with the School Sisters of St. Francis in Milwaukee, helped treat thousands of patients a year at the Lexington Medical Clinic, regardless of their ability to pay.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/local/2016/08/25/two-nuns-killed-durant/89352410/

[video]http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/25/us/mississippi-nuns-killed/index.html[/video]

ETA- first time to start a thread - Mods please edit/move etc if needed

I have no words, this is so horrible. 💐

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Maureen Smith, a spokeswoman for the Catholic Diocese of Jackson, said there were signs of a break-in at the home and the nuns' vehicle is missing. She said the sisters worked at the Lexington Medical Clinic, about 10 miles away from their home in Durant, one of the poorest areas in the state.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/08/25/two-catholic-nuns-found-murdered-in-mississippi-home.html

Maybe it will be a quick arrest if the killer still has the vehicle, or at the very least some evidence left behind.

Oh I pray they find who did this. So heartbreaking. If they can find the car that would be great. Fingerprints, DNA
This is so sad.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

I suppose, being one of the poorest areas in the state, robbery could have been the motive.

I'm sure both of these women would have given them anything of monetary value :(

So sad. Robbery? I wonder if they wanted prescription drugs the nuns may have had? I know of several recent robberies of older people with prescriptions of pain pills etc.

So sad. Robbery? I wonder if they wanted prescription drugs the nuns may have had? I know of several recent robberies of older people with prescriptions of pain pills etc.

One of the articles references a suspected home invasion, which makes little sense to me. Agree this is a very poor area so who knows...

This is just so wrong. I pray we hear of an arrest very very soon.
:praying:

The most important sentence from your article and I have been thinking this very same thing. The animals who did this hurt a lot of people by killing these 2 wonderful giving nun nurses.

"I think their absence is going to be felt for a long, long time. Holmes County, it's one of the poorest in the state," Dew said. "There's a lot of people here who depended on them for their care and their medicines. It's going to be rough."

The most important sentence from your article and I have been thinking this very same thing. The animals who did this hurt a lot of people by killing these 2 wonderful giving nun nurses.

"I think their absence is going to be felt for a long, long time. Holmes County, it's one of the poorest in the state," Dew said. "There's a lot of people here who depended on them for their care and their medicines. It's going to be rough."

Although LE hasn't released any info on possible suspects nor info on the stolen vehicle, I do hope the locals (IF called upon for assistance in finding the perps) will be helpful.

The women had been living and working there for years, and it seems by all reports, they were liked/loved and appreciated, so maybe people will be forthcoming.

August 25, 2016
10:44 PM EDT

2 Nuns Killed in Mississippi; Signs Point to Home Break-In

Two nuns who worked as nurses and helped the poor in rural Mississippi were found slain in their home, perhaps victims of a break-in and vehicle theft, officials said Thursday.

Authorities would not say if they have a suspect but disclosed that they'd recovered a car missing from the home and were towing it to a crime lab for analysis. They also did not release a cause of death, but the Rev. Greg Plata said police told him the sisters were stabbed.

The nuns were identified as Sister Margaret Held and Sister Paula Merrill, both 68. Their bodies were taken to a state crime lab for autopsies.

The women, both nurse practitioners, were found Thursday morning when they didn't report to work at a nearby clinic, where they provided flu shots, insulin and other medical care for children and adults who couldn't afford it.

This story has been corrected to show that Hurricane Katrina was in 2005, not 2006.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/nuns-found-slain-mississippi-home-motive-unclear-41654197

ETA: Apologies to fred&edna I did not see you posted this link ^^

how sad that they ave so much and someone murdered them and no hey will be violated in death by autopsy.
Fly high with the angels, Sisters!

Warren Strain, spokesman for the Mississippi Department of Public Safety, says the blue Toyota Corolla was found abandoned on a secluded street barely a mile from where Sister Margaret Held and Sister Paula Merrill were found dead Thursday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...eb6c22-6b29-11e6-91cb-ecb5418830e9_story.html

To me that says the killers lived in the neighborhood. I am going to guess it was 2 teenage neighborhood men/boys. It could have been someone drove there parked and went to the home to rob but my guess is someone who lived right there.

I'm just gonna throw this out there. Whoever did this just bought two front row seats in front of the big fire. This country is warped. This crime - and all the millions of other home invasion/murders - would never have happened 50 years ago.

I'm just gonna throw this out there. Whoever did this just bought two front row seats in front of the big fire. This country is warped. This crime - and all the millions of other home invasion/murders - would never have happened 50 years ago.

You must not know about the Clutter family murder in 1959. There have been home invasions all a long. Granted they are more common and with instant media we hear about them. The killers knew that the nuns would not have guns or fight back. They took advantage of their sweet nature.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knovah
Back