GUILTY UK - Shana Grice, 19, murdered at her Brighton home, 25 Aug 2016

Legally Bland

Reaction score
Hopefully the police will get forensics to charge someone quickly. Not sure what to make on the arrested man's name and picture being made public, unusual for the UK these days (or so it seems to me).

attachment.php

A teenage girl complained to police that she was being stalked before she was found murdered in her home.

Shana Grice, 19, was discovered in her flat in the Portslade area near Brighton, after she had failed to turn up for work on Thursday morning.

It has now been revealed that before her death Shana had complained to officers that she was being stalked by a local man she had met in a pub called Mike Lane, 27.

[...]

[FONT=&amp]Officers later arrested a 27-year-old man on suspicion of her murder, but he was released on police bail after being held for 48 hours.[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...emerges-complained-stalked.html#ixzz4Ife4296u
[/FONT]

Attachments

• 379C089A00000578-3760550-Shana_Grice_18_was_found_murdered_in_her_home_in_Brighton_East_S-a-24_1.jpg
    379C089A00000578-3760550-Shana_Grice_18_was_found_murdered_in_her_home_in_Brighton_East_S-a-24_1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 418
I read about this poor girl this morning :(

I too thought it a bit unusual to release name and photo when he hasn't been charged ... unless it's done as part of the police plan?

He has now been charged with Shana's murder

A 27-year-old man has been charged with murdering 19-year-old Shana Grice at her home on the edge of Brighton and Hove.

Michael Lane, a tyre and exhaust fitter, lived a few streets from Shana.

He was charged on Friday evening and has been remanded in custody.

He is due before Brighton magistrates this morning, September 3

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-old-Shana-Grice-dead-home.html#ixzz4JBdxOH00
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

RIP Shana.....senseless crime.

Quick question, and I will have to say I've not read every article, but when Shana reported to police that she was being stalked, did she know that it was this guy?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Quick question, and I will have to say I've not read every article, but when Shana reported to police that she was being stalked, did she know that it was this guy?

I believe she knew who it was, at least that's the impression I get from this:

It has now been revealed that before her death Shana had complained to officers that she was being stalked by a local man she had met in a pub called Mike Lane, 27.

Friends claim that she had 'feared for her life' due to his obsessive behaviour and that she had called police after he had parked his car outside her home and watched her.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...enage-girl-19-emerges-complained-stalked.html

I believe she knew who it was, at least that's the impression I get from this:

Friends claim that she had 'feared for her life' due to his obsessive behaviour and that she had called police after he had parked his car outside her home and watched her.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...enage-girl-19-emerges-complained-stalked.html
Thank you! I remember reading that now. I'm just getting old and the memory is not what it used to be. LOL

This poor girl must have been absolutely petrified for the last few months of her life.

An "obsessed" ex-boyfriend slit a teenager's throat before setting fire to her bedroom, a court has heard.

Michael Lane, 27, is accused of murdering 19-year-old Shana Grice after she renewed a relationship with her previous boyfriend Ashley Cooke.

Miss Grice, 19, was found dead at her house in Chrisdory Road in the Mile Oak, Portslade in August last year, Lewes Crown Court heard.

Mr Lane, of Thornhill Rise, Portslade, denies murder.

The tyre and exhaust fitter had been told by police to stay away from Miss Grice after allegedly stalking and harassing her in the months leading up to her death.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-39206436

The alarm was raised when Shana failed to turn up to work at a delivery wholesaler .

Her boyfriend Ashley Cooke told The Sun he had left Shana’s home at 7am that morning, giving her a kiss and a cuddle on the doorstep.

Just hours later she was dead.

Devastated Ashley said the pair were planning to start a family together, and were due to attend his uncle’s wedding the next day.

[...]

Lane, Shana’s ex-boyfriend, became “obsessed” with her after she got back together with previous partner Ashley, Lewes Crown Court heard.

The court heard the pair met while working at Brighton Fire Alarms in June 2015, but by the start of 2016 the on-off relationship deteriorated.

The tyre and exhaust fitter had been told by police to stay away from Shana after allegedly stalking and harassing her in the months leading up to her death.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3041148/shana-grice-murder-michael-lane/

Mr Bennetts said: 'During their relationship he stalked her. He put a tracker on her car and followed her movements.

'The obsession with her translated into killing her. He would not allow anyone else to be with her.'

Officers from Sussex Police spoke to Lane about his behaviour and warned him to stay away from her.

Mr Bennetts said: 'On August 25, after Ashley Cooke had left the address, Mr Lane went into the address and slit her throat and, no doubt intending to destroy any evidence of his presence in the house, he set fire to the room.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...girl-s-throat-stalking-her.html#ixzz4akPu3MMi

Miss Grice reported Lane to the police for stalking in February last year, the court heard.

Her car had been damaged and Lane was told by officers to stay away from her.

Then Mr Cooke reported damage to his car and found a note left on it which said: “Dear Ash, Shana has always and always will cheat on you. Happy New Year.”

In March he followed her, pulled her phone away from her ear and pulled her hair, Mr Bennetts said.

He said: “He also stole a key from her back door in July when he went to get his belongings. In the early hours of the next morning Miss Grice heard noises and footsteps approaching her bedroom. She hid under her duvet and heard her bedroom door open and a man breathing in her room.

“He remained for about a minute before he left. When she was satisfied he had gone, Miss Grice got up, looked out her bedroom window, and saw Lane walking away from the property.”

Later that day Lane was arrested and he had the back door key on him.

Mr Bennetts said: “He admitted in interview he had taken the key and had gone into her room, this is his account, to talk to her but upon entry realised it was wrong and left. As a result of his behaviour he was cautioned.”

The next day, on July 10, Miss Grice reported receiving around seven calls from a withheld number. Someone was breathing heavily but did not speak.

Lane also followed her while she was driving two days later, the court heard.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1514...ex_girlfriend_before_killing_her__court_told/

Little bit more.

Prosecutors claim Lane refused to accept his and Shana's break-up and decided no one else would be allowed to form a relationship with her.

A packed Lewes Crown Court heard he told a friend he was unhappy she had "gone back to her ex" and said: "She'll pay for what she's done."

[..]

Two days before Shana was killed, she met Lane at a hotel in Hove where it was agreed their relationship was over.

However, he refused to accept it, the jury heard.

[...]

Two seats of fire were revealed: one on the carpet at the foot of the bed and the other on the double bed.

A box of matches were found on the floor and there were suggestions an "ignitable liquid" was used

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/obsessed-man-who-stalked-ex-9987429.

Seems hed put a tracking device on her car WHILST they were still togther..be interesting to know what exact contact police had had with him..must have been daiely known to them because irrc he was arrested pretty sharpish

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Looks like there was some witness to evidence today too.
Shana had been dating Ashley Cooke during the last three years of her life, with his father, Ian Cooke discovering her body.

Recounting the fateful day on August 25 last year, he said that he was helped to bash down the door of the home by neighbours, having smelt burning through the letter box.

He said: “There was a haze and a strange smell making it hard to see and breathe “I was shouting Shana.”

There was sobbing from the public gallery as Mr Cooke described how he found the body.

He said: “I was shouting out Shana, I just saw her laying face down with her arms to her side.

“I could just see burning and smouldering.

“We looked at each other in shock and horror saying Oh my God, oh my God.”

Two seats of fire were revealed: one on the carpet at the foot of the bed and the other on the double bed. A box of matches were found on the floor and there were suggestions an “ignitable liquid” was used.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3043683/shana-grice-murder-trial-ex-boyfriend-michael-lane

He was cautioned by Sussex Police although after another incident officers gave Miss Grice a fixed penalty notice for wasting police time. The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is looking at the case.

Lane denies murdering Miss Grice and his barrister even hinted that her boyfriend Ashley Cooke may have killed her.

He asked for a break during his evidence as Simon Russell Flint, for Lane, suggested that Mr Cooke was the last person to have seen her alive.

http://www.brightonandhovenews.org/...lked-portslade-teenager-before-murdering-her/

BIB 1. That's terrible, especially if this was after he'd stolen her door key and entered her bedroom. Maybe I'm speaking with hindsight though.

BIB 2. I did wonder if this was going to be part of the defence.

BIB 3. I bet he's glad the person the defence is going to blame it on actually exists this time. (He defended Ian Stewart in the Helen Bailey trial).

More from yesterday.

Miss Grice met Ashley Cooke when she was 16 and they had been dating since 2013. But she had an affair with Lane who she met in 2015 when they both worked at Brighton Fire Alarms, in Foredown Drive, Portslade, jurors heard.

She ended her relationship with Mr Cooke in April 2016 and shortly after she and Lane officially became an item.

But by August 23 their relationship had "deteriorated", and she told Lane she wanted to be with Mr Cooke again, the court heard.

Philip Bennetts, prosecuting, said Lane then became “obsessed” with her and there was "no other candidate" who could be responsible for her murder.

[•••]

Giving evidence, her boyfriend Ashley Cooke told how he confronted him, once in a car when he spotted Lane following Miss Grice and when he found him lurking in an alleyway near her home in Chrisdory Road, Portslade.

He said: “He was just standing there. I asked what he was doing down here.” Lane replied: “I’m allowed to be down here,” Mr Cooke told the court.

He also said Miss Grice told him Lane was “a bit flirty” at work.

[•••]

A packed public gallery listened as Aimee and Ian Cooke, the sister and father of Miss Grice’s boyfriend Ashley, took told how they found her body.

Ashley Cooke left Miss Grice’s home shortly after 7am on August 25 last year but raised the alarm when work colleagues said she had not turned up.

He called his sister to check on her. Philip Bennetts, prosecuting, said she “saw a bloody footprint on the doorstep” when she arrived.

She called her father who found her “distraught and crying” on the phone to the police and smoke coming from the house. He tried to get inside then found the front door was unlocked.

Two workmen tried to help and neighbours started to emerge from nearby homes. They went inside but there was too much smoke and they could not breathe. They found the bedroom door shut with a piece of cardboard wedged in the side. Mr Cooke went out for air by which time his sister-in-law Debbie Kennard had arrived. They went back in and “through hazy smoke” could see a body face down on the bed. Mr Bennetts said: “Sadly it was Shana. She was dead.”

A paramedic found red footprints leading to the bedroom and an examination of the fire suggested it was started with an “ignitable liquid”, the court heard. Jurors were told Lane was captured on CCTV stopping at Sainsbury’s in Hove on August 24 at 5.38pm filling a petrol can with fuel.

A post mortem concluded Miss Grice died before the fire started. Her throat had been slit and she had a 10.5cm wound on her neck.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15144299.Teen___s_throat_cut_by_ex_lover__jury_hears/

Thanks for the updates LB, what a horrific crime, and once again a woman who wasn't protected from a man who she believed (correctly!) was capable of killing her.

SRF loves a challenge, doesn't he?!

Thanks for the info Legally Bland. A horrific case indeed.

Nice (if thats the right word!) to see some of my friends from the Helen Bailey thread here

Louise x

She [flatmate and work colleague] said on a number of occasions Miss Grice had talked about Lane pestering her with texts and phone calls.

She said: “I tried to help by answering the phone for her so she didn’t have to speak to him.”
But Simon Russell Flint, defending, said: “Throughout this time this was a pretence by Shana. “They were, in fact, in a relationship.”

He said she had been replying and responding to the texts in an “affectionate” and “encouraging” way.

Ms King agreed and told how on the night of a work leaving party at the Mile Oak party in March last year Lane had revealed they were seeing each other and showed her messages.

When Miss Grice found out she became upset. Ms King also became upset and asked her about the relationship, commenting that everything Miss Grice had told her about the situation “was a lie”, the court heard.

In April 2016 Miss Grice split up with Mr Cooke and shortly after admitted her relationship with Lane. The pair even went to a Rihanna concert together at Wembley stadium.

But by July the relationship had ended and Lane was “upset” about this, Ms King said.

She told how Lane started to follow Miss Grice to work and to the supermarket. She said: “I followed Shana to work one day and saw him drive past me.

“He followed her a lot of the time. Over the space of a few weeks it was pretty much most days.”

At the beginning of August Lane wrote Miss Grice a letter asking her to pay him back at least a “couple of hundred” pounds for what Ms King called “silly things like car park tickets and meals they’d had together” and perfume he had bought her at the airport when he went on holiday.

She said: “He wanted the money back.”

Mr Russell Flint suggested Lane was let in to the bungalow through Miss Grice’s open window to see her on a number of occasions but Ms Stebbings, who was also called as a witness, said she had never seen this happen and had never heard of that taking place.

Ms Stebbings said: “We were really surprised she was seeing him after anything that had happened.”

She told the court Miss Grice told her Lane had been “hiding behind walls” near where her parents lived and that Miss Grice had “suspected” him of letting her tyres down.

She said of Miss Grice: “She was lovely. She liked to get on with everybody really. She was very friendly and bubbly kind of person. She got on with everybody.”

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1514...thering____her_in_the_weeks_before_her_death/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back