Australia - MK, 15, raped and died in foster care, Westmead NSW, 21 April 2014

Bohemian

Reaction score
‘Girl X’ was raped and died in foster care facility, court hears
staff writers
news.com.au
August 29, 2016 2:00pm

A GIRL who was allegedly repeatedly raped at a Sydney foster care facility by two youth workers carved ‘I hate feelings’ into her leg before she died, an inquest has heard.

The 15-year-old, known as ‘Girl X’, was found dead of a drug overdose two weeks before one of the alleged offenders started trial.

The girl, who can’t be identified for legal reasons, died from a likely overdose of speed and heroin in The Children’s Hospital at Westmead on April 21, 2014, after years of being “used and abused” by those who should have been caring for her, counsel assisting the inquest Donna Ward told the Glebe Coroner’s Court on Monday

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...s/news-story/b953d177d12d52e544114a5b77eb2e53

Sorry, the ABC is referring to her as MK and I'm not sure if that's a suppression issue or something. Same girl though.

Unauthorised visitors to youth home where 15yo girl overdosed was 'beyond the control' of staff, caseworker says
ABC News
By Lucy Carter
Updated Tue Aug 30 20:37:05 EST 2016
Posted Tue Aug 30 15:39:06 EST 2016

'A caseworker at a youth group home where a 15-year-old died of a drug overdose, has told a coronial inquest staff often had no control over who was coming in and out of the facility.'

'A caseworker at the now closed Gordon House group home at Pennant Hills where MK spent her final year, has told the inquest her facility struggled to stop youths and adults from sneaking in and spending the night with the children in care.

She said she was concerned the home "was becoming a drop-in house, where people could come and go as they pleased ... at all hours".'

'She agreed with Counsel Assisting Donna Ward who suggested that "access to house was beyond the control of the workers".

The female caseworker, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, said she would sometimes find up to 10 extra people in a resident's room.'

'The caseworker said there was another girl in care at Gordon House who was so concerned about "the goings on" in the facility that "she would lock herself in her room".

The inquest has been shown CCTV from the night MK overdosed on a toxic injection of ice and heroin known as a "speedball", where at least six young men can be seen climbing into Gordon House through a window.

The inquest is expected to last for a week.

Family and Community Services Minister Brad Hazzard last week said he was extremely concerned that a youth worker had not faced court over allegations he repeatedly raped the teenager.'

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...who-accessed-home-were-15yo-overdosed/7797054

Child abuse royal commission to probe alleged rape of teen at Sydney foster home
By Danuta Kozaki
Updated Mon Aug 29 14:30:01 EST 2016
Posted Mon Aug 29 10:13:35 EST 2016

'The New South Wales Government has asked the royal commission into child sexual abuse to investigate allegations of further abuse at a foster care home in Sydney following the death of a 15-year old girl.

Key Points

• 15yo allegedly repeatedly raped at Sydney foster home by worker in 2012

• No charges have been pressed against the accused care worker

• The centre in question has had its contract extended since allegations made

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) is reviewing a case where charges were not pursued against a youth worker who allegedly raped the teenage girl in foster care in 2012.

Family and Community Services Minister Brad Hazzard last week said he was extremely concerned that a youth worker had not faced court over allegations he repeatedly raped the teenager while she was living in a care facility.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...wers-on-foster-care-abuse-allegations/7793490

Teenage girl who overdosed in state care was 'horribly abused by adults', inquest hears
ABC News
By Lucy Carter
Updated Wed Aug 31 17:00:08 EST 2016
Posted Wed Aug 31 15:23:46 EST 2016

'The NSW Government caseworker for a 15-year-old girl who died of a drug overdose while in state care has told an inquest she was a "textbook" example of a traumatised child.'

'Her Family and Community Services (FACS) caseworker, up until a few months before her death, told the inquest MK was "by far the most complex circumstance" he had seen in his 26 years working with children in care.'

'Dr Chris Lennings, a psychologist employed by FACS, echoed the caseworker's claims, saying there was not enough funding to deal with deeply traumatised children in NSW.'

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-31/teenage-girl-textbook-example-of-traumatised-child/7802176

Child abuse royal commission to probe alleged rape of teen at Sydney foster home
By Danuta Kozaki
Updated Mon Aug 29 14:30:01 EST 2016
Posted Mon Aug 29 10:13:35 EST 2016

'The New South Wales Government has asked the royal commission into child sexual abuse to investigate allegations of further abuse at a foster care home in Sydney following the death of a 15-year old girl.

Key Points

• 15yo allegedly repeatedly raped at Sydney foster home by worker in 2012

• No charges have been pressed against the accused care worker

• The centre in question has had its contract extended since allegations made

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) is reviewing a case where charges were not pursued against a youth worker who allegedly raped the teenage girl in foster care in 2012.

Family and Community Services Minister Brad Hazzard last week said he was extremely concerned that a youth worker had not faced court over allegations he repeatedly raped the teenager while she was living in a care facility.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-...wers-on-foster-care-abuse-allegations/7793490

I'm so sorry for what this young lady has gone through it is horrific. Why are the monster care workers who committed these horrific acts not in jail? It seems to be a common theme in Australia that sex offenders and rapists are not prosecuted severely enough.

I'm so sorry for what this young lady has gone through it is horrific. Why are the monster care workers who committed these horrific acts not in jail? It seems to be a common theme in Australia that sex offenders and rapists are not prosecuted severely enough.

I am too, greg. If my life circumstances were different, I wouldn't think twice about caring for a young teenager such as MK. Traumatised children need protection, love, guidance and understanding; sadly lacking in this young person's case. Noone; especially children, deserves to be abused in any way. Children are so precious and vulnerable.

I have to agree with the lack of prosecution of the perpetrators of the alleged crimes against this girl (especially in light of the recent review into the original decision by the NSW DPP not to prosecute the perpetrators of the alleged sexual assault and murder of Lynette 'Norma' Daley). I also agree with the FAC's psychologist's assessment of the lack of resources for traumatised children, and children at risk in NSW generally. The NSW DPP and FACs need Royal Commissions into their handling of allegations of child sexual abuse.

Is it against TOS to express my opinion that the paedophile network in Australia goes right to the top layers, with plenty of protection for these monsters. If it's breaking the rules to say that there are organisations hidden in plain sight in Australia whose sole purpose is to sexualise, abuse, traffic, and sometimes hurt and kill little children.
Because if it is, I'll still say it. There are paedophile rings throughout this country and they all protect each other.

And with regard to MK - I went to boarding school. yes we weren't damaged or vulnerable children , but they managed to keep the doors and windows locked and the grounds secure!!!! How are these kids protected if they're taken off their parents only to be put directly in harm's way???? Ridiculous.

Girl X: child services failed vulnerable teenager, inquest told
The Guardian
Australian Associated Press
Friday 2 September 2016 13.18 AEST

'‘Systemic failings’ ultimately led girl to drug abuse and a ‘dangerous life’, council assisting says in closing address'

'At 12 months old the girl was removed from her home. She then moved through a series of failed placements before she was sent to an inner-Sydney shelter. She was allegedly raped by two carers there, and charges were laid against one.'

https://www.theguardian.com/society...vices-failed-vulnerable-teenager-inquest-told

Of some relevance:

Broken Homes (ABC Four Corners)

'"I walked in there and I just thought 'wow'. I didn't even know kids lived like this. I just couldn't believe this was happening in Australia." Child Protection Worker

These are Australia's most vulnerable kids, betrayed and neglected, not only by their parents but by the system designed to protect them.

"They're told, 'you're in resi because nobody wants you, we can't find a home for you, we can't find a foster family for you.' I couldn't imagine being told, 'you're so bad that we can't place you anywhere, this is where you have to live now.'"Child Protection Worker

They're known as 'resi kids' after the group homes they live in, run by private operators and charities. Some were taken into care as babies, others after years of abuse. They're often difficult to manage but desperately in need of help.

In this searing Four Corners investigation, we reveal that rather than protecting and nurturing these children, some private operators are treating them as badly as the families they escaped.

"What I can't wrap my head around is why children are removed because they're neglected, only to end up being a teenager in a resi house still neglected." Child Protection Worker

It's prompted some in the child protection system to brand their treatment a national failure and call for the entire resi care system to be shut down.

"Everybody who might watch Four Corners has to understand that they are our children. We have a responsibility to them." Former Children's Commissioner

How Australia's child protection systems are failing our most vulnerable (ABC online)

'Sometimes these children are groomed not by an outsider, but by someone within the system. In August, a coronial inquest laid bare the short, tragic life of a 15-year-old resi kid, dubbed "Girl X" by Sydney tabloid the Daily Telegraph, who overdosed after she shot a speedball into her arm. There were allegations the girl had previously been raped in another resi home by workers paid to care for her. The revelations prompted promises of reform from the NSW government and the home's provider, the Uniting Church. Disturbingly, the case is not an aberration.

Paedophiles have been known to seek employment in resi homes to provide themselves with ready access to children. A major Victorian investigation found that in the 12 months to 2014, there were nine serious cases of abuse by residential care staff. It's impossible to determine the true extent of the problem however, because it's under-reported, and often cloaked in secrecy.'

Nothing to see here? The abuse and neglect of children in care is a century-old story in Australia

'Last night’s Four Corners program presented evidence of widespread abuse and neglect suffered by children in the out-of-home care system. Sadly, it was an all too familiar story. The Australian care system has been subject to criticism for over a century.

Children described bullying, harassment and sexual abuse inflicted by other children who share their homes. Children also described adult men preying on and sexually exploiting girls in “resi” or residential care.

There were allegations of 12-year-olds being left without adequate clothing, stable accommodation or sufficient food, abandoned by the agencies that were supposed to care for them. Private, for-profit agencies were accused of financial mismanagement and rorting of taxpayer funds.

Some of the most horrific allegations didn’t make it to air, but were reserved for the digital broadcast available online immediately after the program. This included recent revelations of an alleged rape in New South Wales by UnitingCare staffers who had been entrusted with the care of 13-year-old “Girl X”, who died from a drug overdose just weeks before she was due to give evidence against her alleged attackers.

The digital broadcast also included the sexual predation by adults of children in Victorian state care, revealed in a “searing condemnation” by Victorian Children’s Commissioner Bernie Geary. This is an issue that the South Australian Child Protection Systems Royal Commission has also exposed.'

NSW child protection boss slams 'terrible mismatch' after girl placed in home with alleged sex offender

'[...] New approach needed

There are around 20,000 children and teenagers in the care of the NSW Department of Family and Community Services (FACS) — 640 live in residential homes, or out-of-home care (OOHC).

Earlier this year, the State Government announced changes for the private operators that run residential homes.

Those changes were partly prompted by the case of a 15-year-old girl from a residential home who died of a drug overdose — the coronial inquest into her death heard allegations she had been raped by two workers.

"We need a new approach, beyond doubt," Mr Coutts-Trotter said.

"We need fewer children in residential facilities and when they are there we need to ensure there is a genuinely therapeutic model of care."

Mr Coutts-Trotter said the department had collected extensive evidence on what that therapeutic model should look like.

"We will insist that anyone providing residential care in NSW from June 2017 onwards is implementing that model of care," he head. [...]'

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vjeanine
Back