MA - Boy, 11, shot in face at Abington home, 31 Aug 2016

GeeEm

Reaction score
August 30, 2016
10:03 PM EDT UPDATED

11-year-old shot in the face in Abington home

An 11-year-old boy was shot in the face while inside a Linwood Street home on Wednesday afternoon, law enforcement officials said.

At 3:21 p.m., two boys inside 159 Linwood St. were involved in a shooting with a handgun, Plymouth County District Attorney Tim Cruz said during a press conference held two hours after the shooting.

Cruz said the victim, who was not identified, was in stable condition at a Boston-area hospital.

"I would characterize any gunshot wound as potentially life-threatening," Cruz said when asked specifically if the injuries were considered to be life-threatening. "We believe he's doing okay right now, but any gunshot wound is serious."

<SNIP>

A young boy said to be a friend of the victim was seen crying and being consoled outside of the home shortly after the shooting.

Neighbors and property records identified the owners of the home as Chip and Kelly Halpin, but officials did not identify the victim.

The victim was initially taken to South Shore Hospital in Weymouth before being flown by medical helicopter to the Boston-area hospital.

Around 6 p.m. State Police were taking photographs at the scene. The Plymouth County Bureau of Criminal Investigation and Crime Prevention and Control Unit were also investigating at the scene.

http://www.enterprisenews.com/news/20160831/11-year-old-shot-in-face-in-abington-home

September 1, 2016
8:04 AM UPDATED

11-Year-Old Boy Shot in Abington, Massachusetts

<SNIP>

The handgun in the shooting was legal, according to Cruz.

Aerial footage showed law enforcement officials outside and around the home after the incident.

<SNIP>

"We believe he's doing OK right now but any gunshot wound is dangerous and our thoughts and prayers go out to that little boy's safety," said Cruz. "That's number one right now."

Abington's police chief admitted it was a difficult call for his officers.
"It's certainly a tragic issue," said Chief David Majenski. "Officers will receive after care and counseling as a result."

<SNIP>

Tonight's news of a Woodsdale student suffering a gunshot wound in their neighborhood afterschool is heartbreaking and sad. Our sincerest thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. The Abington Public Schools will be providing counseling services to students in need.

We are also available to families wanting more information about how to talk to their children about this tragic event."

Police are still investigating exactly how the child was shot.

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Child-Shot-in-Abington-Massachusetts-391922491.html

:anguish:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The handgun was legal. Too bad a child had access...

August 30, 2016

A young boy said to be a friend of the victim was seen crying and being consoled outside of the home shortly after the shooting.

rs&bbm

Here's hoping they're both going to be okay.

If there is a "no one in the house while the parents are not home" rule, do they normally leave the house unlocked or did they provide the child a key to come and go with ? Did the babysitting adult know about the rule and that the child did in fact have an access to the house where he was not supposed to be?

Horrifying. I would also never have a gun in the house for the same reasons you said. What's terrifying to me is how hard it may be to make sure my son doesn't stay at a friends house where there are guns. I would hope parents wouldn't lie to me but it is something I worry about in the future (my son is still a toddler and doesn't have friends yet.)

I am assuming the 10 year old's house is close to the 11 year old's house so that is why it was so easy for them to get permission from the grandma to leave and go there.

@AmyPond: The boys live a few houses apart and often go back and forth...

I always ask my children's friend's parents, if there are guns in the home, and also any current restraining orders on ex's. uhhggg. It's awkward, if they answer yes, my child can't hang there, but like you said, how do you really know? Now a days, I just have my daughter, and we pretty much have her friends over here, or know the people very, very well, if she goes over to play.

I thought I would share this article that shows how even police officers struggle with keeping their weapons secure at home:
Snip
"Port Vue police Officer John Thompson's 4-year-old son, Gavin, was able to retrieve his father's .45-caliber service weapon from the top shelf of a bedroom closet on Nov. 26 at their home in Liberty. It discharged, killing the boy, in a case still being probed by Allegheny County homicide detectives."
snip
"Mr. Thompson's case was the fourth or fifth fatal incident involving a police officer this year, though statistics on accidental shootings by the children of police officers are hard to come by."
http://www.post-gazette.com/local/r...s-secured-safely-at-home/stories/201012060280

A more recent look at the problem of gun safety:
http://extras.mercurynews.com/policeguns/

Some rumor has been removed. Please stick to what is reported or comes from LE. :blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back