Not open for further replies.

Coldpizza

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Jury Selection Begins in Capobianco Murder Trial
Posted May 23, 2016

1458524_646586072080685_6323848319806635311_n.jpg

link

The trial for a man accused of murdering his pregnant ex-girlfriend gets underway with jury selection today in Second Circuit Court.

Steven Capobianco faces second degree murder and arson charges in the death of 27-year-old Charli Scott, who was five months pregnant when she was reported missing in February of 2014.

Media thread

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

Thread 4

Thread 5

What behavior would indicate psychopathy to you? just wondering,, not challenging.

The Scott family has testified to or said in interviews that he did not treat Charli well. He showed her no affection and let her wait on him and support him. He refused to have a photo taken of the two of them when the other sisters were having a shot taken with their boyfriends, IIRC. The family didn't think it was a healthy relationship for her.

His co-workers and friends have mentioned his lack of affect and emotion.
This is not meant to answer your question fully. It's what has been said. No one has said they suspected all along he was a killer waiting to happen.

Thank you for your input Puakenikeni! I have been following this case since it broke in February 2014. Real life gets in the way, so I am not always able to absorb all the details. My questions are for those who may know more than me. I have not studied the classical traits of a psychopath, however when I think of psychopathic behavior, I think of someone with no conscience to hurt others. I found this list of traits that may be of interest and it looks like many of these traits apply to SC http://www.sociopathicstyle.com/psychopathic-traits

I did hear second hand that SC and Charli were once at a coffee shop and SC verbally berated Charli to the point that the owner of the shop told SC to leave and never return. I also heard second hand that SC exhibited behavior of a narcissist.

When I first heard the audio interview between SC and Detective Loo, I was expecting to hear the voice and demeanor of a gangster type, however I was surprised SC sounded intelligent, articulate, not nervous, and fairly convincing. Now that his alibi story has been contradicted by numerous witnesses, I now hear a young man with an incredible ability to lie. I’ve listened to the interview numerous times, and it saddens me that he would commit such a heinous crime and throw his life away.

Thank you for your input Puakenikeni! I have been following this case since it broke in February 2014. Real life gets in the way, so I am not always able to absorb all the details. My questions are for those who may know more than me. I have not studied the classical traits of a psychopath, however when I think of psychopathic behavior, I think of someone with no conscience to hurt others. I found this list of traits that may be of interest and it looks like many of these traits apply to SC http://www.sociopathicstyle.com/psychopathic-traits

I did hear second hand that SC and Charli were once at a coffee shop and SC verbally berated Charli to the point that the owner of the shop told SC to leave and never return. I also heard second hand that SC exhibited behavior of a narcissist.

When I first heard the audio interview between SC and Detective Loo, I was expecting to hear the voice and demeanor of a gangster type, however I was surprised SC sounded intelligent, articulate, not nervous, and fairly convincing. Now that his alibi story has been contradicted by numerous witnesses, I now hear a young man with an incredible ability to lie. I’ve listened to the interview numerous times, and it saddens me that he would commit such a heinous crime and throw his life away.

Spmeone said he sounded like Sponge Bob!

I wasn't able to listen much today, and Akaku forgot to turn their camera back on after lunch and then switched channels. I heard these new pieces of information. 1. That one of the officers paid someone $200 to get the doors of Charli's 4Runner back because he thought there might be evidence in/on them. 2. The grille was in the Casey Borge's garden. There was some testimony about the car parts last week but more detail today. And 3. That one of the officers (can't keep their names straight) lost his official cell phone while searching on Saturday, Feb. 15 and never found it. It was a flip phone. So no real exciting stuff, at least not in the few minutes I was able to listen.

Cant find a phone? Hmmm leads me to believe there is quite a bit more down there

So well said, JusticeH. I felt the same when hearing him for the first time. I think his nervousness was there in the fast speech and unnecessary details, but it didn't sound like shaky and hesitating nerves under pressure.

I read something about the coffee shop incident before, not sure where. Thanks for that local knowledge. So it seems his unpleasant side came out publicly on occasion, just not enough to make him universally disliked. A complicated person. It is really a sad waste. While the waste to Charli and her ohana is incomparably worse, I have some pity for how he went so very wrong as he seems not completely without potential. He did have friends who seem like good people.

It is a small world. One of my sons is long time friends with a couple on Maui who lived in Kula during that time. I met them in Kula and Makawao two months before the murder, my last time on Maui, when she was working at the same place as Kurt Kaiser. Her boyfriend probably knows all those guys from growing up in Kula and being that age. It seemed like such a beautiful area. My ex-husband also lived in Kula and Makawao in the early 70's, 40 years ago, and loved to tell stories about it.

I wouldn't have thought anything so evil was waiting in the wings as I passed through in late 2013. Why, Steven, why. He could have survived the baby. He must really hate kids from some deeply wounded place. I guess he suffered from having a father who never wanted any part of him in his life. Also being Italian, where fathers normally take a lot of pride in their sons and vice versa, that would be even more painful.

Dear Steven,
I am a Christian woman, I believe in God and I follow His teachings, however I find it hard to forgive you. I realize that my inability to forgive you in essence gives "evil" the upperhand but that's too bad. You HAVE hurt so many people. You HAVE destroyed many lives. What you HAVE NOT done is kill love. True, abiding love that holds the Scott family together. Unabashed love for a sister that many across the internet have never met yet feel blessed by her presence. So go ahead, sit there beside your guardians with your hateful eyes locked on your accusers. You have not killed my faith that the men and women facing you from the jury box can see through your faded aloha shirt and straight into your black heart. So while I can't bring myself to pray for you, I pray that Charli haunts you all-day-long. Enjoy your first class ticket to hell, I hope it's a window seat!

My open letter to the 2nd Circuit Court of Hawaii/Maui County:

I, would like the State to know that I think Steven N. Capobianco is a menance to society and has the propensity for homicidal acts. I do fear for my safety with him on the streets and I think the State should acknowledge that his next victim could be their very own daughter or sister, aunty or friend. Maui County is not safe if Steven N. Capobianco is released from prison.

Police describe finding jawbone, bra, reddish hair at remote bay

http://www.mauinews.com/page/conten...--bra--reddish-hair-at-remote-bay.html?nav=10

Mahalo Lila Fujimoto and Maui News!

After finding the sunglasses and seeing the area, Souza said, "I just thought to myself, if this was the area where the blanket was found, there probably is something else. I kind of ventured off heading more toward the highway at an angle."

"From there, I found what looked like a bra," he said.

Souza said the bra was black and looked like it had holes in it.

"There was a bunch of maggots, a lot of maggots kind of surrounding the general area," Souza said.

He said he was continuing to look around the area when he saw a piece of bone, suspecting it was a jawbone when he took a closer look and saw teeth.

"I kind of saw the jawbone immediately after seeing the bra," Souza said. "It was close enough that I didn't have to move from where I saw the bra."

He said the location where he found the evidence "wasn't as thick as other parts of the wooded area."

"It was still thick enough that I did move over branches," he said.

Souza called out to Dods, who testified he also saw the bra and what looked like a jawbone.

--------------------------------------------

"Initially, we were looking for a body," Dods said. "I thought we needed to do a more detailed search and try to saturate that area with people."

Detective Derrick Delos Santos testified he found what looked like "reddish-colored hair on the ground."

He said he had to go to the highway and stand on a bridge wall to use his police radio to call Detective Wendell Loo, the lead investigator in the case.

Another searcher, officer Cliff Dagulo, testified he lost his work-issued cellphone in the brush and used his personal cellphone "over 20 times, 30 times" while unsuccessfully trying to locate the lost phone.

"I was unsuccessful because of the reception," he said.

While searching the Nuaailua Bay area, Dods said there was "a slight odor of decomposition."

Dear Steven,
I am a Christian woman, I believe in God and I follow His teachings, however I find it hard to forgive you. I realize that my inability to forgive you in essence gives "evil" the upperhand but that's too bad. You HAVE hurt so many people. You HAVE destroyed many lives. What you HAVE NOT done is kill love. True, abiding love that holds the Scott family together. Unabashed love for a sister that many across the internet have never met yet feel blessed by her presence. So go ahead, sit there beside your guardians with your hateful eyes locked on your accusers. You have not killed my faith that the men and women facing you from the jury box can see through your faded aloha shirt and straight into your black heart. So while I can't bring myself to pray for you, I pray that Charli haunts you all-day-long. Enjoy your first class ticket to hell, I hope it's a window seat!

My open letter to the 2nd Circuit Court of Hawaii/Maui County:

I, would like the State to know that I think Steven N. Capobianco is a menance to society and has the propensity for homicidal acts. I do fear for my safety with him on the streets and I think the State should acknowledge that his next victim could be their very own daughter or sister, aunty or friend. Maui County is not safe if Steven N. Capobianco is released from prison.

Nikki, I applaud you and feel exactly the same way.

Nikki we feel you. Victim statements are very powerful. Not so much to the defendant but to Charli's family and friends.

On now 2:40 cali time.

I'm not either, Julie. No streaming by 2:15 Cali time.
Anyone know what's going on in court?

I just got out of a meeting, it is 2:47 now. This is the first time the stream has been working for me so far today. I don't know why.

And.... now they break for lunch.

Nice little hula show interlude, though.

Court back in session on Channel 54.

Apo is challenging the qualifications of Charli's dentist to compare her jawbone to her dental records, apparently out of the presence of the jury.

Capobianco Trial: Police Recount Discovery of Bra, Jawbone at Nuaʻailua

http://mauinow.com/2016/09/07/capobianco-trial-police-recount-discovery-of-bra-jawbone-at-nuaailua/

Mahalo Wendy Osher and Maui Now!

After searching an area where a civilian team had found clothing and personal items believed to be those of the missing woman, police came across a jawbone, clumps of hair and a bra that had investigators shift their focus to a more refined search.

“I think initially we were looking for a body, and by finding something like that, I felt that we needed to do a more detailed search and try to saturate that area with people,” said Captain Richard Dods, Jr. who served as a Lieutenant of the Maui Police Department’s Special Response Team at the time.

-------------------------------------------------------

With nothing further recovered at that point, Dods said he lined everybody up, “thinking that the search was over,” and searchers started walking up the dirt road towards the Hāna Highway.

-------------------------------------------------------
Capt. Dods said that while he did not maintain visual sight of Officer Souza, he was in hearing distance. Within a couple of minutes of finding his glasses, Capt. Dods said, “he (Officer Souza) just yelled out to me saying that he had found a bra, a black bra with maggots on it.”

“I went to where he was.” said Capt. Dods. “I saw a black bra with what appeared to be maggots on it.”

“After finding the bra, I called everybody back down,” Capt. Dods testified, saying the SRT and detectives were asked to return, but this did not include the MISC members or any citizens.

I'm sorry Wendy Osher but "5 months pregnant at the time with an unborn child" is a little redundant. What else would a pregnant woman carry?

Anyone know who the 3 Franco guys are and why they would have been questioned by detectives?

No, but I figured out who "MJ" is. FWIW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail