1521 users online (396 members and 1125 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Odd website behavior

Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed odd behavior on my work computer. The small WS logo in the tab is fluctuating and the reload scroll rotates for quite a while. The website is very slow to load or allow me to navigate.

Any ideas?
    Unless otherwise noted, my posts are opinions or theories only and may not be used outside of WS unless permission is requested in advance.

Please help find Lauren Jackson Missing since 1988 Spring City PA

Pennsylvania Missing Persons Cases:
    Lauren Jackson, Amanda DeGuio, Ray Gricar, Kortne Stouffer, Jamie Metzger, Toni Sharpless

"I'm not smarter than anyone else, I'm just more stubborn", "There are only two things you need to be a great homicide detective. The first is an intimate knowledge of the law. The second: An undying sense of curiosity. What happened here, and who made it happen?", "There are three motives in most murder cases: sex, money, or revenge. - Detective Joe Kenda

"Never assume you know anything or everything about a missing person, a POI or the details of a case" - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Trackergd View Post
    Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed odd behavior on my work computer. The small WS logo in the tab is fluctuating and the reload scroll rotates for quite a while. The website is very slow to load or allow me to navigate.

Any ideas?
    I have been experiencing the same problem, and I have to close it and restart it each time.
    When you see a cloud with no silver lining, paint your own.

What browser are you each using?

When things go wonky at the library, we encourage patrons to change browsers and see if that helps.
    Be the most brilliant color in the box!

Quote Originally Posted by charminglane View Post
    What browser are you each using?

When things go wonky at the library, we encourage patrons to change browsers and see if that helps.
    I use chrome and ran all checks possible to see if there was a conflict or if chrome shockwave flash player was conflicting with the original, and all tests stated there was were no conflicts and no problems. Still, I get the flashing WS logo, the screen freezes, I get a message that the shockwave flash has crashed, and I have to close the tab and reopen. Then, a few minutes later, the same thing happens.
    When you see a cloud with no silver lining, paint your own.

Same here, I just keep the Task Manager window open & minimized and use End Task for FlashPlayer when it happens.

I think the problem is tied to one of the ads, it sometimes happens on the Taste of Home website if a video starts.

Also, there are always 2 copies of FlashPlayer running in the Task Manager window when this happens.

Hope this helps someone, Laughing

BetteDavisEyes is online now "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    What I've noticed over the past couple of weeks is the ads taking a very long time to load. During that time, I can't sign in, post, scroll, etc. I usually give up and try later. Getting to be a royal pain Happens with my desktop and DH's laptop. We both use Edge browser.

I checked task manager and there is no flash player running. I am also using Chrome. I think I will switch to Explorer to see what happens.
    Unless otherwise noted, my posts are opinions or theories only and may not be used outside of WS unless permission is requested in advance.

Lauren Jackson, Amanda DeGuio, Ray Gricar, Kortne Stouffer, Jamie Metzger, Toni Sharpless

"I'm not smarter than anyone else, I'm just more stubborn", "There are only two things you need to be a great homicide detective. The first is an intimate knowledge of the law. The second: An undying sense of curiosity. What happened here, and who made it happen?", "There are three motives in most murder cases: sex, money, or revenge. - Detective Joe Kenda

"Never assume you know anything or everything about a missing person, a POI or the details of a case" - Me

Must be a Chrome issue. I am on IE and am having no issues.

skibaboo is offline <3 The amazing Mr Skibs, GBNF <3 Now an 'official' crazy cat (& Map) lady.
    This is a common problem with Chrome and shockwave flash, I don't think it is anything to do with WS. I've had it happen a lot too and it happens here, but on other sites sometimes too. A different browser should do the trick but I like Chrome so end up doing a fresh install and it will fix it.

You can try resetting Chrome settings https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en

And often the problem may be 2 flash files in the Chrome plug ins

Enter this in your Chrome address bar:
    chrome://plugins/

Click 'details' and see if you have 2 flash files. If so try disabling one and see if that helps.

Hillsborough 15/4/1989 JFT96 GBNF YNWA *Verdict - The REAL Truth: 96 Liverpool fans were unlawfully killed*

Celebrating Mr Skibaboo RIP Baljeev Johal, my dear friend. RIP

Case Map Database - Links to all Case Maps I have created, and their related Websleuths threads

Quote Originally Posted by skibaboo View Post
    This is a common problem with Chrome and shockwave flash, I don't think it is anything to do with WS. I've had it happen a lot too and it happens here, but on other sites sometimes too. A different browser should do the trick but I like Chrome so end up doing a fresh install and it will fix it.

You can try resetting Chrome settings https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3296214?hl=en

And often the problem may be 2 flash files in the Chrome plug ins

Enter this in your Chrome address bar:
    chrome://plugins/

Click 'details' and see if you have 2 flash files. If so try disabling one and see if that helps.
    Thanks, Skibs!

really vigorous waving to you across the ocean

I quit using WS on my iPhone b/c it takes me to a different site every time. However, when I use my iPhone to visit other websites and forums...no problem. I never have these issues with my Mac laptop or iPad.

It is Sunday September 11th and the forum is loading slower than a slug!

Sometimes the page only partially loads. I am using an iPad with Safari. It worked okay yesterday. ???

Sometimes ads appear and currently they do not. Doesn't seem to make an appreciable difference.

I just realized the ads are missing on my iPad as well. Strange, but welcome!
    Be the most brilliant color in the box!

So I emptied the cache on my iPad and the pages at WS are loading quite nicely. And,there are currently no ads so not sure if its one thing or the other, or both but I am much more content this evening.

Its a new morning and once again the forum is not loading properly.

Pages seem to load the first post and then gets stuck for two or three minutes until the rest of the thread loads. The only ad that seems to consistently load is one Amazon ad across the top before the threads start. There is also a square Amazon ad at the very bottom, on the right.

I am using an iPad 3 (which I don't think will be eligible for the new iOS 10 software being released this week).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast