Australia Australia - Suzanne Armstrong, 28, Susan Bartlett, 27, Collingwood, Vic, 10 Jan 1977

0101ABA

Former Member
Reaction score
:)tyou: to paul1980 for bringing this case to our attention)

attachment.php

(http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/notorious-murder-house-changes-hands-20110820-1j3xk.html)

Suzanne Armstrong, 28, and Susan Bartlett, 27, were stabbed to death in a frenzied attack in their home in Easey Street, Collingwood, on the night of January 10, 1977.

(...)

Ms Armstrong was raped and stabbed 29 times and before being found on the floor in her bedroom.

Ms Bartlett was stabbed 55 times and her body found in the hall outside Ms Armstrong's bedroom.

Ms Armstrong's 16-month-old son was left unattended in his cot for two days before the bodies were discovered.
http://www.news.com.au/national/bre...easey-st-murders/story-e6frfku9-1226838284037

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 38
A one million dollar reward is being offered:

Million dollar reward offered for information on Easey St murders

fe373b12e894a178e2c4a390fec6dba5
Herald Sun
January 14, 2017

Investigators have been methodically eliminating persons of interest for the past two years and are confident of a breakthrough.

Strong DNA evidence is the key to finding the attacker, who without force walked into the Collingwood terrace house on January 10, 1977 and stabbed the women to death.

Homicide Squad Detective Inspector Michael Hughes said police had been working through 131 people of interest, of which 41 were now deceased.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...s/news-story/fe373b12e894a178e2c4a390fec6dba5

Police to offer $1m reward to solve Victoria's 1977 Easey St murders

Homicide detectives will announce the new reward for information on the 1977 murders of Suzanne Armstrong, 28, and Susan Bartlett, 27, on Sunday, News Corp reports.

The women were stabbed to death in a frenzied attack in their home in Easey Street, Collingwood, on the night of January 10, 1977.

Police have a DNA profile of the offender, but testing in 1999 eliminated all eight prime suspects in the case.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...1977-vic-easey-st-murders#OLEkSwO5Gu5Dm4FZ.99

More from the ABC:

Easey Street murders: $1m reward to catch cold case killer who left toddler alone in cot
BY LORETTA FLORANCE
UPDATED SUN JAN 15 16:35:19 EST 2017

'The sister of one of two women killed in their inner-Melbourne home 40 years ago has made an emotional plea to the public for information, as police offer a $1 million reward for help to solve the crime.'

'Suzanne's sister, Gayle Armstrong, raised Gregory after his mother was killed, and said it was his cries that alerted the neighbours to trouble.

He was 18 months old, he was in the cot for two days before they found him, and it was only because of his crying that the next door neighbour found them when they did," she said.'

"I was his mum and in recent years he has found his own father and he visits them regularly and has got quite close to them, so he's going OK."

'Since her sister's death, Gayle Armstrong said she had been unable to watch the news, saying it was "all concerning people like me".

She became emotional when asked what it meant to her that police were still actively involved in trying to find the killer.

"[It means] everything, everything. It's something that has to be finalised and this reward should have been offered 39 years ago and it'd be solved and we wouldn't be doing all this now."

She said she had not lost hope that there would be a breakthrough.
"I hear the miracles that [police] do solve [cases] and I think Suzanne will be next," she said.

"They will do it, they will find this person. With the DNA, even if this person is dead, you can now go to family members and find out that way if it was that person."'

Easey Street become a lightening rod for the Melbourne feminist communes of the late 1970s. My mother was an important activist with the Womens' Electoral Lobby back then and they hated how the Melbourne tabloid "The Sun" (no merged "Herald Sun" back then) sexualised two murdered women.

❤️

i suspect the guy who climbed threw the window and left his muddy shoe print behind.

so odd 2 different men went inside the house without permission and didnt see these 2 women dead.
Weather for Melbourne January 10 1977, 14 degrees, I believe the next day with similar for 3 or 4 days temperature is cooler than the temperature went up past 25, with all the stab wounds decomposing of the body funny how the two blokes especially the one climbing for the window didn't notice a smell I'm the decomposing bodies

Weather for Melbourne January 10 1977, 14 degrees, I believe the next day with similar for 3 or 4 days temperature is cooler than the temperature went up past 25, with all the stab wounds decomposing of the body funny how the two blokes especially the one climbing for the window didn't notice a smell I'm the decomposing bodies
13th January 1977 two lead detectives enter easey Street Collingwood, John Hall and Peter Fleming ,enter through the back gate, which is unlocked Hall noticed lights on kitchen and bathroom enter the long hall he sees the first body, both detectives notice there's no smell from the bodies

homicide squad detectives have tested the eight prime suspects for DNA ,all have being cleared of the crime.
In 2012 Lead investigator Senior Sergeant Ron Iddles stated up to 35 people had now been DNA tested, but the killer still remains free today, two Suspects both knew the victims and the layout of the victims home on easy Street Collingwood, where they on on the original 8,or have been tested in the 35 since, are strong candidates for being prime Suspects.IJ and SY.
If Homicide squad detectives have tested these two individuals, this would be a huge blow to the case, due to time, and the Killer age, Providence of the DNA left behind at easy Street on the sheets, a lot of men had visited the home in the lead-up to the murders ,what if the Killer left no DNA behind.

The withness missed by police at the time, why.???
Witness overheard two men walking past her house talking ..... tonight we kill the teachers.
Gladys Coventry in 70s ,told people she saw a man carrying a knife walking out of the kitchen and out the gate.
Another Witness in the early morning hours was still awake heard door slam and then two car door slamming, a car driving off.
Was the murder's planned in advance, and not spur of the moment or rage ,why did the killers have a conscience and spare the baby and the puppy dog. So many Witnesses have been tested for DNA and ruled out ,but the Killer or killers are still at large.

Casefile Presents: The Easey Street Murders​

''February 19, 2024
47 years ago, on a warm summer’s night in Melbourne, Susan Bartlett and Suzanne Armstrong were stabbed to death in their home in Easey Street, Collingwood. Suzanne’s 16 month-old son was asleep in his cot at the time.
The double homicide left the community shocked and detectives rattled, as several promising early leads gradually petered out. Eventually, the case went cold.
To this day, the Easey Street murders is still one of Australia’s most confronting cold cases: a frenzied crime shadowed by strange twists of fact and fate. A million-dollar reward for information has failed to lead to an arrest, no one has ever been charged, and critical questions remain unanswered. Did the young women know their killer, or did they die in a brutal, random attack? Why has their murderer never been found?''

Repost refresher..​

''Who killed Suzanne and Susan? $1million reward offered for clues to solve grisly Melbourne rape and murder mystery from 1977​

• Suzanne Armstrong, 28, and Susan Bartlett, 27, were killed in 1977
  • Police on Sunday offered a $1million reward for information into their deaths
  • Both were stabbed to death in a frenzied attack in their home in Collingwood
  • Suzanne was raped and stabbed 29 times, Susan was stabbed 55 times
  • Suzanne's 16-month-old son was left unharmed and in his cot for two days
By CAMERON PHELPS 14 January 2017
''Ms Armstrong was raped and stabbed 29 times and before being found on the floor in her bedroom.
Ms Bartlett was stabbed 55 times and her body found in the hall outside Ms Armstrong's bedroom.''
1708479554934.png
Susan Bartlett (pictured) was stabbed 55 times and her body found in the hall outside her housemate's bedroom in Easey Street, Collingwood in 1977
Police have a DNA profile of the offender, but testing in 1999 eliminated all eight prime suspects in the case.
1708479587127.png
Suzanne Armstrong (pictured) was raped and stabbed 29 times and before being found on the floor in her bedroom

1708479607991.png
Ms Armstrong's 16-month-old son was left unattended in his cot for two days before the bodies were discovered at their home in Easey street in Collingwood (pictured)

Last edited:
I got to thinking about this case again this week, after seeing the A$1 million reward posted for the murder of Mary Anne Fagan. Horribly similar crimes in the same city, a year apart, but I get the impression they were never linked that closely by the police or media.

I must read Helen Thomas’s book on the case again - it’s as close to definitive as there is at the moment. I did read recently that while the ‘eight prime suspects’ had been ruled out by DNA, there was one suspect not tested, a very famous Aussie racing driver who died in 2006, who had dated one of the girls and was known for violence towards women. Frustratingly, the true crime site that posted it promised a follow-up piece going into more detail, and to the best of my knowledge, that never appeared.

Casefile Presents: The Easey Street Murders

''February 19, 2024
47 years ago, on a warm summer’s night in Melbourne, Susan Bartlett and Suzanne Armstrong were stabbed to death in their home in Easey Street, Collingwood. Suzanne’s 16 month-old son was asleep in his cot at the time.
The double homicide left the community shocked and detectives rattled, as several promising early leads gradually petered out. Eventually, the case went cold.
To this day, the Easey Street murders is still one of Australia’s most confronting cold cases: a frenzied crime shadowed by strange twists of fact and fate. A million-dollar reward for information has failed to lead to an arrest, no one has ever been charged, and critical questions remain unanswered. Did the young women know their killer, or did they die in a brutal, random attack? Why has their murderer never been found?''
The easy Street murders podcast just finished the Witnesses, I must read the book they trusted men again ,I think it was in the book or another book where a senior detective oh what's it a homicide Detective washing this hans in the sink because he was touching the walls, which is strange in the podcast they thought the person who did the murders knew of police procedures, by washing himself in the bathtub .
One question why would a senior detective homicide detective at the time wash his hands in the sink and contaminate the sink, maybe nothing, maybe I'm grasping at straws.

14 was the minimum temp for January 10th 1977, the maximum was 21.6. The day before was 37.6 degrees.

The women were almost 30 = underage would mean a teenage boy perp.

two adults might have - likely could -- have handled a teenager?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back