1232 users online (274 members and 958 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NJ - Maria Marshall, 44, dies in contract killing, Oyster Creek, 7 Sept 1984

Robert Marshall's death sentence was overturned in New Jersey. I think he has been on death row for over 20 years for hiring a hit man to kill his wife. The movie "Blind Faith" was made about the case. What a scum, his wife didn't get another 20+ years......

Interesting... did this just happen? Wonder why now after he's been on death row so long? Was his time up?

New Jersey has not put anyone to death since 1963. Most of the death sentences handed down since the death penalty was reinstated in 1982 have been overturned.

I remember reading this book and watching the movie. It was one of the first cases that sucked me into this. I can't believe he's still alive!

At first I though you meant to 1970s rock band...

Quote Originally Posted by robinparten
    Robert Marshall's death sentence was overturned in New Jersey. I think he has been on death row for over 20 years for hiring a hit man to kill his wife. The movie "Blind Faith" was made about the case. What a scum, his wife didn't get another 20+ years......
    I remember that movie. The late, dearly departed Robert Urich, starred in it.

OneLostGrl is offline I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane

Supreme Court rejects New Jersey appeal in death case

The Supreme Court declined Monday to consider reinstating a New Jersey man's death sentence in a case that inspired a true-crime book and television miniseries.

Justices did not comment in rejecting New Jersey's appeal of an appeals court ruling that found that Robert O. Marshall's lawyer did not adequately represent him during the death penalty phase of his trial for arranging the death of his wife.

More @ link
    http://www.nj.com/newsflash/jersey/i...orylist=jersey

Quote Originally Posted by kato
    I remember that movie. The late, dearly departed Robert Urich, starred in it.
    Robert Urich was always one of my favorite actors and I miss him. I hated that he played such a SOB in Blind Faith, but he was good and believable.

I've read the book a few times and it's just heartbreaking what the three boys went through after their beloved mother was murdered. If I remember correctly, the youngest still believes in his father's innocence and I think Robert Marshall wrote a book about his case. I'll have to do some digging on it.

One of the sons is married to Tracy Gold.

I knew she was married to a Marshall, but I didn't realize it was one of those Marshall's! I believe she's married to the oldest one... Roby?

Quote Originally Posted by NewMom2003
    Robert Urich was always one of my favorite actors and I miss him. I hated that he played such a SOB in Blind Faith, but he was good and believable.

I've read the book a few times and it's just heartbreaking what the three boys went through after their beloved mother was murdered. If I remember correctly, the youngest still believes in his father's innocence and I think Robert Marshall wrote a book about his case. I'll have to do some digging on it.

One of the sons is married to Tracy Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRose99
    I knew she was married to a Marshall, but I didn't realize it was one of those Marshall's! I believe she's married to the oldest one... Roby?
    I think Robby is the middle one. I believe Chris is the oldest, then Robby, then John.

Of course, I could be wrong!

Here's a portion of info about Tracy Gold & Roby Marshall

Roby was actually an advisor for the movie BLIND FAITH. How sad.

"How She Found Her Soul Mate

Gold is clearly tickled by her domestic bliss and proud of the hard work she and her husband, Roby Marshall, a 32-year-old athletic coach at a private school in Los Angeles, have done to get here. Most boyfriends, she knows, would have been scared away by her ordeal, but when they met, Marshall had already survived his own horror, and ironically, it's what had led him to Gold.

In 1984, Marshall's father, Robert, a hard-driving insurance broker in Toms River, New Jersey, hired a hit man to kill his homemaker wife, Maria, so he could collect on a $1.5 million insurance policy. As it was later revealed, Robert Marshall was having an affair with a neighbor and was deeply in debt, so he arranged to have his wife shot on the side of the road as they returned from a night in Atlantic City. In 1986, he was convicted of contracting her murder and sentenced to death.

The case inspired Joe McGinniss's 1989 bestseller Blind Faith - - which is told from the point of view of Roby, who was 19 at the time, and his younger brother -- and the 1990 NBC miniseries of the same name. Joanna Kerns, who played Gold's mother in Growing Pains, also played Marshall's mother in Blind Faith. One day, she invited Marshall, who was serving as technical advisor on the miniseries, to the Growing Pains set and introduced him to Gold. Their attraction was instant.

"We really are soul mates. We've been through so much together; we're now getting to reap the benefits," says Gold. "I always wanted to be married, have babies and a beautiful home. Acting is what I like to do, but I look at others who really get into it and work the scene -- that's just not me. Also, for me, it's not about the trappings. I never liked to go out and party.

"Well, my husband is the farthest thing from being involved in acting. He hates the business. He loves me. That's his connection to the business. He visits me on location and is getting very good at changing diapers, which is good, because I eventually want four kids.

"I'm the oldest of five girls, so I've been changing diapers since I was 8. Roby had never changed a diaper in his life; taking care of a baby is a foreign concept to him. He loves playing with Sage, but the minute he starts crying, it's Tracey, I think he wants you! ...
    "

http://www.eatingdisorderresources.c...traceygold.htm

Here is the link to the book Robert Marshall wrote. Apparently he still claims that he's innocent.

It boggles my mind that inmates are allowed to have books published. Didn't Jeffrey Macdonald also write a book?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/189...lance&n=283155

Here is a link to Maria Marshall's gravesite. May she rest in eternal peace. Such a tragedy.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...=n&GRid=23088&

NJ:Accused triggerman admits he shot Maria Marshall

Marie Marshall murdered in murder for hire plot, Sept. 7, 1984. The murder was the subject of the bestselling 1989 book, "Blind Faith" by author Joe McGinniss.

The man who fired the .45-caliber semi-automatic pistol that killed Maria Marshall in Ocean County's most notorious murder case has confessed his guilt almost 30 years after the crime, according to authorities.

Larry N. Thompson, 71, incarcerated at Louisiana State Penitentiary in Angola for his part in an unrelated armored-car robbery and the attempted murder of a Shreveport police officer, has told Louisiana and New Jersey law enforcement officials that he was the shooter, 28 years after a jury in Mays Landing found him not guilty of the homicide.

http://www.app.com/story/news/local/...shall/2179086/

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin

mikeysmommom is offline "A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty...."
    I followed this trial closely at the time. I never understood his acquittal, he was guilty as sin there was more then enough proof. I wish I had been on that jury no way would I have believed his family members. When this happened it was just a few towns over from me and it was a very big case. I was very upset when his sentence was commuted to 30 years to life, Marshall deserved nothing less then death penalty, as did the trigger man.
    I Love You MOM 6/16/32 - 5/30/09

Justice for Travis 5/8/13

Justice For Emma
    Stacey Barker - Guilty - Murder 1 - 5/24/11
    25 to Life - Sentenced 6/17/11

Justice Denied for Caylee Marie Anthony
    July 5,2011

Inside the 30-year quest to close the Marshall case

Surrounded by spectacular, rugged landscape, Angola prison is in the middle of nowhere, tucked into an isolated corner of southeast Louisiana along the Mississippi River, 25 miles from the nearest town.

Angola, a nickname for the 134-year-old Louisiana State Penitentiary, is home to one of the nationís most notorious prisons and the stateís death row, where life for most inmates will end either by lethal injection or age and hopelessness.

It was here, against the backdrop of an overcast sky on April 25, that James A. Churchill touched down in a small plane at an air strip within the 8,000-acre complex. Churchill, 70, a retired chief of the Ocean County Prosecutorís Office, had flown in to solve a case that had dogged him for almost 30 years. A bearlike man with a white beard and a soft-spoken nature, Churchill, then a prosecutorís lieutenant, had last faced Maria Marshallís killer in 1987.

http://www.app.com/story/news/local/...mpson/9232755/

http://grandmotherscouncil.org/
    My Facebook page; I am grateful for the fact that two people who joined had colonoscopies, discovered cancer and are on the way to healing through treatment. Colonoscopies save lives! [A 3rd person has just been added. 8/7]

www.facebook.com/WaitWhereAmIGoing
    https://www.tsu.co/JacieLin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast