Man sues Home Depot for being glued to toilet

Norma

Pook
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/11/03/toilet.suit.ap/index.html

Glued to toilet, man sues Home Depot

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- Home Depot is defending a lawsuit filed by a man who claims one of the chain's stores ignored his cries for help after he fell victim to a prank and was glued to a toilet seat.

Bob Dougherty, 57, of nearby Nederland, said he became stuck to a bathroom toilet seat last year after somebody smeared glue on it.

I know this guy!!!!!!

He's the type who would sue for anything, too.

This guy was left for a whole 15 minutes, sheesh.......

Of course he is hoping that Home Depot settles out of court. I hope they don't

Well, if I were on this jury, I would think this was just a frivilous lawsuit. I would need proof that this could happen!

Demonstration, please!!!!!!!!

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

fran

I hope I don't really need this but.........

PS, Just kidding!..........on the demonstration part. Frivilous, yesssssssss
:D

Wow guys- IMO you are being harsh. The guy was recovering from open heart. It would be one thing if noone had heard his cries. They purposefully declined to investigate to confirm if it was a hoax. That is BS. That is what store mgmt is there for. How hard is it to stick your head in the restroom and see what is going on? I am in retail and I can tell you that many areas have panic buttons for this purpose. What if a woman was crying for help because she was being raped in a public restroom, and was ignored cuz folks assumed it was a joke. How would you like to get your *advertiser censored* glued to a toilet seat. I know at first glance this sounds funny, but I doubt any of you would be laughing and letting the store mgmt off the hook.

I wonder if the store's surveillance cameras picked up the traffic, in, and out, of the restrooms. If so, it wouldn't take very long to determine if this was a hoax, or not. If it can't be proven to be the guy's own doing, it would seem that he will be able to pick up some easy money, very quickly. Home Depot would not want their name associated with a suit over this, as it would certainly be bad publicity.

Did he come away with some of the powerful glue .???...OR did he leave behind some skin??????????? DNA solves everything :silenced:

I thought he had sat down on one of the toilets on display in the store to take a rest. If this happened to me I'd be so embarassed. :blushing:

He had to leave Home Depot with the dang seat still blued to his butt. And he passed out on the way to the ambulance. I too, would be mortified.

lcookster said:
He had to leave Home Depot with the dang seat still blued to his butt. And he passed out on the way to the ambulance. I too, would be mortified.
How did he get the seat off the toilet?? Did they unbolt the whole toilet. ?? OH NO!!!! This is NOT funny did he have to drip & dry????? I think I probably would have died of embarassment. SUE 'EM!

I don't think that this is funny. I'd be suing the heck out of
'HD too if this happened to me. How utterly embarrassing and painful for this man to have to go through this all at the hands of joksters. Unforgiveable in my books.

Schmerty_Jones said:
How did he get the seat off the toilet?? Did they unbolt the whole toilet. ?? OH NO!!!! This is NOT funny did he have to drip & dry????? I think I probably would have died of embarassment. SUE 'EM!
I just saw this man on TV today and I felt so sorry for him, he said that they had to unbolt the toilet seat to get him out to the ambulance. They said he's suing for 3 million dollars and that Home Depot would not settle out of court, that they are going to go to court, they dont want to pay the 3 million.

I could see that happening to a guy, not to a woman. I never sit on toilet seat that's not in my own house. If there's no paper covers, I use toilet tissue on the seat as do many women in public restrooms. I do feel sorry for the guy if someone else put the glue there! But who's to say he didn't put the glue there himself? Some con artists can be very convincing.

:confused:

Report: Toilet Seat Man Had Same Thing Happen Before

Man Made Same Claim In Nederland Over Different Bathroom Seat

POSTED: 9:08 am MST November 8, 2005
UPDATED: 10:50 am MST November 8, 2005

<!--startindex-->NEDERLAND, Colo. -- A Nederland man who is suing a Home Depot after being stuck to a toilet seat had the same thing happen to him last year, the Rocky Mountain News reported in its Tuesday editions.

Bob Dougherty was interviewed by the national press Monday in New York City about a 2003 incident at a Boulder Home Depot.

Dougherty, 57, is suing for $3 million over the incident two years ago, claiming store employees ignored his calls for help and failed to maintain the bathrooms by not stocking paper toilet seat covers.

Ron Trzepacz, former director of operations in Nederland, where Dougherty lives, told the News in Tuesday's editions that Dougherty came to him in the summer of 2004 claiming he had been glued to a toilet seat in the town's visitor center but pulled himself free.

Trzepacz said he inspected the bathroom and found "no indication that anything had been on the toilet seat." No police report was filed.

Dougherty's lawyer, Mark Cohen, said his client denied making such a claim.

"The allegation doesn't make any sense," Cohen told The Associated Press. "Where this is coming from, I don't really know what the motives would be."

Trzepacz said he worked for the mountain village about 30 miles northwest of Denver for 13 years. He now lives in Franklinville, N.Y.

Dougherty claimed in his latest lawsuit that the 2003 incident at Home Depot in Louisville caused him pain, humiliation and financial loss. Dougherty said he was recovering from heart bypass surgery at the time and thought he was having a heart attack.
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/5277917/detail.html

Man who said he was glued to a toilet seat passes a polygraph test

A man suing Home Depot because he says a prank left him stuck to restroom toilet seat has passed a lie detector test paid for by a Denver television station. Bob Dougherty, 57, answered 20 questions during the polygraph test Wednesday, including four that related to a former Nederland town official's allegation that Dougherty made similar claims there. Dougherty had offered to take the test to dispel doubts about his story. It was administered by polygrapher Jeff Jenks of Wheat Ridge and paid for by KDVR-TV. Ron Trzepacz, former director of operations in Nederland, where Dougherty lives, had told the Rocky Mountain News that Dougherty claimed in 2004 that he had been glued to a toilet seat in the town's visitor center but pulled himself free. Dougherty denies that and said he didn't know Trzepacz. Messages previously left by the AP for Trzepacz, who now lives in Franklinville, N.Y., have not been returned.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/5304408/detail.html

Was discussing both this story, and the related one of the guys who's butt crack was glued shut, with hubby as we drove in the car the other evening.

Good thing I wasn't driving, I couldn't stop laughing for about 20 minutes. Again, as I mentioned before, hubby missed the humor in all of this. I am so mean, I just couldn't stop howling with laughter.

Thats why I love you Pook.. I was howlin' too :laugh:

I realize in my earlier post I sounded callous. I do feel sorry for Bob. The humiliation he must have felt would have been terrible. It's just that I know him and he really is a pompous you-know-what. He did pass the polygraph and I never doubted that it happened. It's just that if it was going to happen to anyone at all, Bob is the type of person to sue. :twocents:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back