100 trapped on cable car over French Alps

[h=1]https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/08/110-people-stuck-on-cable-cars-in-the-french-alps[/h]

French officials say 110 people are trapped in cable cars over the Mont Blanc massif in the Alps. The mayor of Chamonix, Eric Fournier, said the people were being evacuated by helicopter. “There’s nothing fundamentally to fear,” he added.

Nothing to fear at all, folks! :thinking:

As someone who is acrophobic to begin with, I would not feel the least bit reassured. I'm not sure what would be more frightening -- being suspended indefinitely in a little box 12,395 feet in the air, or being transferred to a helicopter at 12,395 feet in the air. :noooo:

Dozens of tourists will spend the night trapped in cable cars suspended in the French Alps after high winds caused a mechanical failure.

A huge rescue operation was launched after more than 100 people were left trapped in panoramic cable cars suspended 50 metres in the air close to Mont Blanc in the Alps this afternoon.

French, Italian and Swiss rescue services used four helicopters to evacuate 65 of the 110 sightseers stranded in Chamonix, Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said in a statement.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Alps-high-winds-cause-mechanical-failure.html

Omg

Dozens of tourists will spend the night trapped in cable cars suspended in the French Alps after high winds caused a mechanical failure.

A huge rescue operation was launched after more than 100 people were left trapped in panoramic cable cars suspended 50 metres in the air close to Mont Blanc in the Alps this afternoon.

French, Italian and Swiss rescue services used four helicopters to evacuate 65 of the 110 sightseers stranded in Chamonix, Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said in a statement.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Alps-high-winds-cause-mechanical-failure.html

Omg

OMG is right. Imagine if this happened in the middle of winter!

Uhm, yeah. No. I'd be freaking out! Yikes.

I would be scared stiff. Really. I wouldn't move out of fear of making the thing fall. I'd hold my breath, shut my eyes, and turn into a statue.

I hope there are some people in the cabin who are good at being a calming presence for others. There usually emerges someone like that in these types of situations.

Yikes....I'm want to hear the good news of everyone being safely on the ground.

That is exactly what I thought when I read that!

I thought ,easy for you to say with your feet on the ground you idiot!!

As someone who is acrophobic to begin with, I would not feel the least bit reassured. I'm not sure what would be more frightening -- being suspended indefinitely in a little box 12,395 feet in the air, or being transferred to a helicopter at 12,395 feet in the air. :noooo:

I thought that 6,324 times watching Katrina!

The only positive aspect of that adventure would be if he was handsome!!!

Omg

I think it ceases being panoramic when it ceases moving!!!!

Omg

I think it ceases being panoramic when it ceases moving!!!!

“There’s nothing fundamentally to fear,” he added.

381852DA00000578-3780362-image-a-53_1473381409832.jpg

381852CB00000578-3780362-image-a-52_1473381342189.jpg

This is being described as big???????

3817CBE100000578-3780362-image-a-15_1473379055237.jpg

Do they serve Champagne on the cable car? It might help calm passengers :D

No liquids! (I doubt there is a toilet on that thing.)

:)

Oh good , I was not the only who thought about this problem, however my intial concern was the other end!!

[h=2]The cable car route on which some 100 people are now stuck above Chamonix, France, travels to the top of the Aiguille du Midi mountain, a gain of over 9,000 feet. in 20 minutes. -
[/h]
Update: Officials now say 65 people rescued from gondolas suspended over Mont Blanc in French Alps; 45 people to remain trapped overnight

gouv.fr

Sep 9 2016, 7:31 am ET

Dozens Rescued Near Chamonix, France, After Night Stranded in Cable Cars

by Claudio Lavanga, Emmanuelle Saliba and Nancy Ing

Dozens of tourists were rescued Friday after spending up to 16 hours trapped in cable cars dangling high above the French Alps, officials said.

More than 100 people, including several Americans, were left hanging in 36 gondolas following a malfunction between two mountains near the Chamonix ski resort.

Italian officials involved in the rescue said around 70 of those trapped were rescued on Thursday night, either lifted by helicopter or belayed up to 300 feet to the ground. But around 30 others — including a 10-year-old child — were forced to spend the night after the rescue was stopped by fog...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/dozens-people-stuck-10-000-feet-air-overnight-french-alps-n645101

I just heard on the news that all have been rescued. I hope rescuers dropped a big supply of Valium into the cable cars yesterday to help the trapped people get through the night. I have heart palpitations just thinking about it!

Sep 9 2016, 7:31 am ET

Dozens Rescued Near Chamonix, France, After Night Stranded in Cable Cars

by Claudio Lavanga, Emmanuelle Saliba and Nancy Ing

Dozens of tourists were rescued Friday after spending up to 16 hours trapped in cable cars dangling high above the French Alps, officials said.

More than 100 people, including several Americans, were left hanging in 36 gondolas following a malfunction between two mountains near the Chamonix ski resort.

Italian officials involved in the rescue said around 70 of those trapped were rescued on Thursday night, either lifted by helicopter or belayed up to 300 feet to the ground. But around 30 others — including a 10-year-old child — were forced to spend the night after the rescue was stopped by fog...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/dozens-people-stuck-10-000-feet-air-overnight-french-alps-n645101

Oh my god i did not know it was 36 of them!!!

I just heard on the news that all have been rescued. I hope rescuers dropped a big supply of Valium into the cable cars yesterday to help the trapped people get through the night. I have heart palpitations just thinking about it!

Thats funny!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back