AZ - Dinya Farmer, 49, chased down the highway & shot, Phoenix, 7 September 2016

0101ABA

Former Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

Her murder had all the trappings of road rage. On Wednesday night, the 49-year-old divorced mother of three was gunned down while driving home northbound on State Route 51.

But police say Dinya Farmer’s final words may indicate she wasn’t just a victim of opportunity.

She was being followed, Farmer told 911 moments before bullets would shatter the windows of her Honda Accord.

A white pickup truck with ladders had trailed her all the way from Seventh Avenue and Broadway Road, she said. It was 8 miles from where her car would ultimately crash, into a median on SR 51 between McDowell and Thomas roads.

(...) “There was some sort of pre-incident contact that led to the shooting, but we have yet to determine what that was.”

Whether this contact came minutes — or years — before Farmer’s murder, detectives were unsure.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...chase-shooting-stuns-victims-family/90101860/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 285
This is so terribly sad.

Sending prayers of love and comfort to this beautiful woman's family and friends.

Prayers to law enforcement that they find the person who did this horrid crime.

This is absolutely terrible. She must have been so scared!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

That's a very good article. You don't usually get so much information.

So many odd things about this story.

*If it was road rage - something seems off. Reported 3 men in truck. One would THINK that out of the 3 of them, at least one would have talked sense into the driver to chill out and move along. Maybe it was just 3 horrible people and for some reason they targeted HER (very scary to even think about).

*On the personal side of her life - she had a very tumultuous divorce and issues with her 3 daughters. She wasn't in contact with any of them (?). Ex-husband had very loving things to say about her though. Usually, he'd be my first suspect, BUT she is dying of cancer, so what would be the point?

So sad. She must have been so scared and frightened. When I lived in AZ I remember there were a lot of cameras on the roads and freeways. Hopefully something shows up and these guys are arrested.

Hmmm. I found this facebook posting of hers. Makes me really wonder if it was related to her domestic situation. Not ex-husband or kids, but maybe somebody in a relationship with them.

Parents Against Parental Alienation:
https://www.facebook.com/PAPA.fightpas/posts/854448054623908

The suspects were 3 hispanic men in a white work truck. That is probably 90% of the drivers out there.

It doesn't seem like it was road rage. She called 911 to report she was being followed. LE has said they do not believe this was random, that there may have been a prior incident/prior contact. AZ does have a lot of cameras on roads and freeways, but it may be difficult for LE to get anything of substance from them in this case - it was dark and the suspects were in a white work truck. There are literally thousands of white work trucks in the city, so unless someone got a partial license plate number or there is some sort of clearly identifiable piece to that truck, it may be extremely difficult to find.

I talked to a friend of mine who works in a 911 call center and asked if he'd heard anything about this case. He said it was all very "quiet" and there were "rumors" that she may have witnessed something she shouldn't have. Please note, that is total speculation on his part; I asked him about it only because she was on the phone with 911 when she was shot and I thought he may have been on duty.

In regard to her personal life, at one point, she was married to a doctor in Scottsdale and they had three daughters. They divorced in 2004, I believe. Court records show he had a restraining order against her for three consecutive years, and she was arrested for aggravated harassment and a probation violation. Apparently, he also had custody of their children, possibly from the time they divorced. It appears she moved around quite a bit, working various jobs in retail and customer service. Public records illustrate some additional personal chaos over the years.

It's worth noting - in my opinion - that she stated she was being followed starting around 7th Avenue and Broadway. That's a pretty bad part of town. Her aunt was quoted in this article as saying she was helping a friend take clothes to a laundromat and was on her way home. I haven't seen what part of town she was living in at the time, but to go from 7th Avenue and Broadway to the I-10 and onto the 51 where she was shot is not a short drive - it's about 25 minutes, so she was apparently being followed for 25 minutes, on two major, heavily traveled Phoenix freeways not too long after rush hour, before she was ultimately shot. The exit the killers allegedly took to get off the freeway after the shooting is also a very busy intersection.

What I find intriguing about this case is that she apparently did not tell the 911 operator why she thought she was being followed. I have to assume that the operator asked that question (only because it would be logical). From this article:

“She believed these people were following her specifically, but she didn’t offer any information as to why they may be following her,” Howard said.

Maybe it's just me, but I find that odd - it seems like gut instinct to follow up, "I think I'm being followed" with "and here's why I think I'm being targeted." But perhaps she simply didn't have enough time to say more before she was killed. Regardless, this is a very sad story and I hope LE discovers who did it.

Here's another article from a local news source: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ing-phoenix-offers-chilling-details/90711704/

From the article -

"The call opens with Farmer telling the 911 operator she was on Seventh Avenue, about to enter the freeway, before noticing three men in a white truck following her.

'They started at Broadway and Seventh Avenue following me. They pulled up and was gonna get outta their truck and like they're following me now on the freeway,' she said."

7th Avenue and Broadway to I-10, depending upon which way she went, is approximately a 10 minute drive. The 911 operator tried to get more information from her about how the men tried to approach her car and keeps asking questions, but either Dinya didn't answer or the phone connection dropped temporarily, because it doesn't appear the operator was able to get any answers.

Besides the obvious, the whole situation seems sketchy to me.

* It is very rare to have something like this happen on a busy freeway, right after rush hour, with plenty of potential eyewitnesses
* Although the full 911 transcript has not been released, her answers to the 911 operator's questions seem slightly evasive - she states she's "nervous" but not scared/terrified/confused (although I realize that could just be because of the situation she was in)
* She stated she was about to get on the freeway, and had just noticed the men following her... but then she said they'd been following her since 7th Avenue (I also realize this could simply be the way it was reported in the article)

It's entirely possible I'm reading too much into this situation and the woman was simply targeted for some unknown reason, but it just seems very, very unusual that three men would follow, shoot and kill a woman in such a highly visible location without some sort of provocation (real or imagined). Please note, I'm not victim-blaming. She may have simply been in the wrong place at the wrong time, or the men mistook her for someone else. But this seems like more of a "hit" to me than anything. Then again, I have been watching re-runs of The Sopranos lately....

a hit perhaps, with a case of mistaken identity thrown in? It's a crazy case, nothing like this I've ever heard about. Sorry for you, Beautiful Woman... no matter what, you didn't deserve this.

Scroll down for 911 Call Full Transcript here: http://ktar.com/story/1279988/read-...man-fatally-shot-in-chase-on-phoenix-freeway/

Scroll down for video here: http://www.wtsp.com/news/what-should-i-do-driver-asks-911-before-she-was-shot/321940791

In the clip, LE states they rec'd 5 or 6 911 calls about the incident, ONE was from Dinya Farmer...hopefully, someone else was calling in the plate # --- also @ 11 seconds into the video a white truck with a ladder on it goes by there's at least 2 people in the truck --- they wouldn't have circled back to make sure she was dead would they?

Scroll down for 911 Call Full Transcript here: http://ktar.com/story/1279988/read-...man-fatally-shot-in-chase-on-phoenix-freeway/

Scroll down for video here: http://www.wtsp.com/news/what-should-i-do-driver-asks-911-before-she-was-shot/321940791

In the clip, LE states they rec'd 5 or 6 911 calls about the incident, ONE was from Dinya Farmer...hopefully, someone else was calling in the plate # --- also @ 11 seconds into the video a white truck with a ladder on it goes by there's at least 2 people in the truck --- they wouldn't have circled back to make sure she was dead would they?

The transcript brings up more questions/observations for me.

* She sounds extremely disjointed. It seemed as though she was jumping around a lot in her conversation, particularly when the operator asked her specific questions about the situation.

The operator asks her where she is, and then asks her again, and then asks her again if she's sure. Dinya insists she's not on I-10 until the operator tells her that she can see Dinya is, in fact, on I-10. Dinya then says that she's on I-10 but going "north toward the 51," apologizes and says she's "just nervous." Throughout the conversation (based on the transcript), it seems as though she's having difficulty putting a full thought into cohesive words. It could absolutely be because of her situation; it could be because she was unfamiliar with the part of town she was in.

* She is not clear at all about how the "Mexican men" approached her vehicle.

Did they actually get out of their truck or did it just seem to her as though they intended to? And if they didn't get out, what made her think they were going to?

* If these men started following her at 7th Avenue and Broadway, like she told the 911 operator, they followed her for approximately 15 miles.

That is a fairly long distance to follow someone, particularly when the stretch of 7th Avenue to I-17 is somewhat desolate and they could have more easily shot her out there with many fewer witnesses. Again, this was just after rush hour, which means the Phoenix freeways were being heavily traveled, and she was on three of them during the course of being followed. [Note: in order for her to turn right to get on the freeway, she had to go north on 7th Avenue to Interstate 17, which connects to I-10.]

* First she said it "started at 7th Avenue, right at the freeway." The operator said, "Broadway?" and she retracted and said "yeah, 7th and Broadway."

I'm curious to know why she thought they were following her at 7th Avenue and Broadway, which is a few miles south of the entrance to the freeway. What happened at 7th Avenue and Broadway?

* She said she was unable to see a license plate (which is normal, considering a front license plate is not mandatory in AZ and they were behind her), but she could see that one of the men was wearing an Army shirt - "that's an Army shirt." It was approximately 7:05-7:15pm when she stated this, which means that it was dark or at least dusk.

How could she see what someone was wearing in a vehicle behind her when it was dark and headlights were on? Does that indicate that at least one of the men actually did get out of the truck at the entrance to the freeway and approach her car? If so, did anyone else see that at 7th Avenue and I-17?

* She stated that it looked like it was a "white pick-up truck" and then follows that with "like a work truck or something." She also said it looks like there were three people inside.

Unless it was an extended cab truck, it would have been really tough to have three men sitting in a truck - the driver, a passenger and... a third person would have had to have been in the back seat, unless it was a really old truck with a bench seat.

These are just some of the thoughts I had while reading through the transcript. Lots of questions in my mind. I sincerely hope for her family's sake that they find out who did it.

@tarabull, I saw the truck you were talking about in the video - while I suppose it's possible that the perps circled back around to make sure they'd done the job, I would guess that to be highly unlikely. Phoenix is a city absolutely filled with white work trucks, as our construction/construction services industry is a significant part of our economy. Plus, the police have a fairly heavy presence in the area of Thomas and the 51 on a normal day/night (it's not the greatest part of town), and the cops did stop some white work trucks in the area right after this happened.

I can't seen to find any updates on this. I was thinking there would be something going on, another plea to the public for info at the minimum, but there's nothing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have experienced being chased in traffic by some crazed driver twice in the last few years. It is terrifying. What is also terrifying is that there are people out there who will suddenly get a rush of murderous rage at some total stranger because they mistakenly violate some idea of what this person thinks is acceptable.

I have a theory that one reason we see so much of this now may be related to the almost epidemic use of steroids and 'uppers' among the 18-35 male population.

I find it odd that she reported three people in the truck. You'd think one of the others could have intervened to stop the driver.Maybe not. The most recent event I had was two guys in a truck. I have the feeling this may never be solved. Sad.

Dinya was my mom. This year will be 4 years since she was killed and we still know nothing.
There a few strange questions with this case.

Supposedly a number of phone calls went out to police, the last being my mother. Where was highway patrol?

Our phone calls and emails go unanswered by detectives and I can’t seem to get anyone to help with another story to bring this back into the public eye.
It’s heartbreaking. She doesn’t deserve this.

wow this case is so random and bizarre

Dinya was my mom. This year will be 4 years since she was killed and we still know nothing.

Supposedly a number of phone calls went out to police, the last being my mother. Where was highway patrol?

Our phone calls and emails go unanswered by detectives and I can’t seem to get anyone to help with another story to bring this back into the public eye.

sorry for your loss

I'm so sorry for your loss. Have you contacted local media for help? Maybe they can do a segment on your mom.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back