Graphic Photos/ Day 6 The Garotte, The Cord, and Paint brush/12 Days of JonBenet

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
WARNING! GRAPHIC PICTURES OF JONBENET AT MEDICAL EXAMINER'S OFFICE.

The garotte, the cord, and the paintbrush.

The garotte. Is it a complicated knot that makes the garotte or is it a simple knot that anyone can do.

The cord. Where did it come from? Where did the rest of the cord go? Was there more cord?

The paint brush handle. It was broken to make the garotte. It came from Patsy's paint tote.

Was the garrote, the ligatures around JonBenet wrists, all part of staging? Was this staging done by someone trying to think like a criminal?

There are two great places to look into the garrote. One place is our own thread started in 2006 on Websleuths. CLICK here to read the thread

As always acandyrose.com has extensive coverage of the garotte, paintbrush, and cord. CLICK HERE

There is so much to discuss here. Let's put all of these things to rest in this thread by explaining each piece of evidence.

Below are some pictures of the garotte and the crime scene. WARNING GRAPHIC pictures of JonBenet at the medical examiner's office.

Attachments

• Garotte 1.jpg
    Garotte 1.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 3,235
  • Garotte 2.jpg
    Garotte 2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 3,171
  • Garotte 3.jpg
    Garotte 3.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 3,244
  • Garotte front view.jpg
    Garotte front view.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 3,737
  • Garotte side view.jpg
    Garotte side view.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 3,782
I tend to agree with Kolar on this one and think strangulation was not part of the staging but part of the crime.I just don't see the point of staging something like this, it is a waste of time,a lot of time.plus you gotta be really sick to be able to do it.It is not like the head wound wouldn't have been discovered at the autopsy.The reason IDI insists it came first is IMO just to mud the waters and destroy the real timeline.It could have started with the blow and the rest could have been part of an overkill.Finish her off.

Having just read the "Bonita papers" for the first time, I was unaware until now that the autopsy findings included bruising at both shoulder areas. And now, seeing the side photo of JB's body, the bruising on her right shoulder is visible. That is some heavy bruising on that shoulder!

Madeline: The autopsy results I just read said she was alive at the time of the blow to the head (as evidenced by bleeding in the brain) and was also alive at the time of strangulation (as evidenced by petechiae). Cause of death was asphyxia due to strangulation, so yes, absolutely the rope was more than just staging. Not that she would not have likely died from the blow to the head, but the strangulation is what killed her.

Having just read the "Bonita papers" for the first time, I was unaware until now that the autopsy findings included bruising at both shoulder areas. And now, seeing the side photo of JB's body, the bruising on her right shoulder is visible. That is some heavy bruising on that shoulder!

yeah I remeber L.Smit saying that she was pushed or grabbed so hard that they might wanna check her shirt for touch dna.wonder if they did.even if i dont think she was wearing that shirt when it happened.reminds me of the touch dna found on her nightgown.BR's ?

yeah I remeber L.Smit saying that she was pushed or grabbed so hard that they might wanna check her shirt for touch dna.wonder if they did.even if i dont think she was wearing that shirt when it happened.reminds me of the touch dna found on her nightgown.BR's ?

It doesn't look like a grab, though. Too me, a "grab" would produce marks to the front and the rear of the shoulder area. The mark seen in the photo appears to be at the very top surface area of the shoulder. Like the shoulder would have been struck with something from above it.

Trying here to figure out what could have caused such a mark. And I'm sure the ME was trying to figure out that very same thing. But they cannot put any guesses or suppositions into an official autopsy report. So all we get is a description of the bruise and a photo of the bruise.

AlwaysShocked: The right shoulder injury was also abraded. The photo does not show much definition, but part of the reason for the deep color might be because of the abrasion. If this injury occurred perimortem, there was probably some bleeding on the inside of her shirt, but I've never read anything about whether or not it was found. Here's what the ME wrote about it the right shoulder:
On the posterior aspect of the right shoulder is a poorly demarcated, very superficial focus of abrasion/contusion which is pale purple in color and measures up to three-quarters by one-half inch in maximum dimension.

On the left shoulder, the Bonita Papers don't agree with the AR. Here's the Bonita Papers:
The upper front surfaces of JonBenet's left shoulder contained horizontal scrapes with blue-green bruising apparent in the area of the injury.
(If true, the "blue-green bruising" would indicate a healing bruise from at least several days earlier.)

But here's what Dr. Meyer wrote about the left shoulder in the AR:
Several linear aggregates of petechial hemorrhages are present in the anterior left shoulder just above deltopectoral groove. These measure up to one inch in length by one-sixteenth to one-eighth of an inch in width.

(No mention of a bruise -- just "several linear aggregates of petechial hemorrhages.")

The garotte. Is it a complicated knot that makes the garotte or is it a simple knot that anyone can do.

The cord. Where did it come from? Where did the rest of the cord go? Was there more cord?

The paint brush handle. It was broken to make the garotte. It came from Patsy's paint tote.

Was the garrote, the ligatures around JonBenet wrists, all part of staging? Was this staging done by someone trying to think like a criminal?

There are two great places to look into the garrote. One place is our own thread started in 2006 on Websleuths. CLICK here to read the thread

As always acandyrose.com has extensive coverage of the garotte, paintbrush, and cord. CLICK HERE

There is so much to discuss here. Let's put all of these things to rest in this thread by explaining each piece of evidence.

Below are some pictures of the garotte and the crime scene. WARNING GRAPHIC pictures of JonBenet at the medical examiner's office.

MOO~
The knot looks intricate to me. JR was in the navy. Maybe he taught BR how to tie knots? The knot makes me think a male made the garotte.
(I'd find it interesting to see statistics on how often women use ligature strangulation vs. men)

Was there touch DNA on the cord?

Was BR in boy scouts? Maybe dad and son visited the army store for items like the swiss army knife and cord for boy scout tasks. My daddy was a Boy Scout troup leader for 18 yrs. He was a eagle scout and silver beaver. Highest you can go. My brother was an eagle scout. I spent a lot of time with all of the scouts and am familiar with what they learn and badges earned. My daddy and my brother could tie any knot. They learned it in the scouts. It was an important part for them to learn. This is why I ask if BR was in the boy scouts at some point.

The paint brush was an opportunity item as was the cord. The train room BR had was also in basement. Maybe he kept things in the room like his knife and cords and such.

There was a lot of anger in whom ever choked her. That cord was deeply embedded in her neck. Also looks like there were several attempts like the person doing it wasn't quite strong enough to choke someone. It took some time. I think this is actually when the blow to the head happened. I notice a bruise on her shoulder too. Possibly the perp wasn't strong enough to finish choking her or wanted it over quickly.

Ok the cord around the wrist and long section to other wrist. This is some possibilities that come to my mind. Maybe the reason the cord was so long was because it was originally tied around an object to the other wrist to restrain her to a location.

It was supposedly tied in front of her. To make this situation make sense let me set up the scene.
JBR on tummy hands tied around something like a pipe. Choking was also from behind. Possible head injury from behind too?
After she was deceased, the perp undone the cord around wrist and wrapped her in her favorite blanket (which would mean the perp knew it was in the dryer.)

Question: Was both wrists still bound or only one wrist when she was found?
I think this would be an important fact due to the thought that if it was someone who loved her they may have tried to "undo" what they did by putting her clothes back on and wrapping her in blanket.
If it was a intruder, I feel they would have left her exposed.
Could BR have been caught by mama after the fact and she tried to give her back some dignity covering her up and staging scene.
I read somewhere that BR and JBR was caught by the housekeeper playing doctor. Maybe it got out of hand.

JMOO though and what the scene seems to say to me.
I'd be interested to know if there were any pipes or an object she could have been tied to in the basement.

Tricia, when will we have a DNA day?
Everybody around here knows I am not IDI so I am posting this only because I wanna understand things better.
There was this expert on the A&E show claiming that contamination is excluded because matching DNA was found on BOTH sides of JB'S pants.Is he right, is he wrong, can someone pls elaborate?TIA

This is from the acandyrose link Tricia posted. Click it to read all the details, but I think this says quite a bit:*"The way the cord had been made into a noose-with the stick tied 17 inches from the knot-suggested staging rather than a bona fide attempt to strangle JonBenet. It suggested that the killer was a manipulative person, with the courage to believe that he or she could control the subsequent investigation. In short, everything about the crime indicated an attempt at self- preservation on the part of the killer."

If it were an intruder, the only self preservation they needed was to LEAVE. The only reason for any other self preservation was if the killer couldn't leave because they lived there.

It doesn't look like a grab, though. Too me, a "grab" would produce marks to the front and the rear of the shoulder area. The mark seen in the photo appears to be at the very top surface area of the shoulder. Like the shoulder would have been struck with something from above it.

Trying here to figure out what could have caused such a mark. And I'm sure the ME was trying to figure out that very same thing. But they cannot put any guesses or suppositions into an official autopsy report. So all we get is a description of the bruise and a photo of the bruise.

It is possible that she was swung and hit something (a dresser, a doorway), instead of something being swung to hit her. It doesn't fit with what I think probably happened but I figured I would put it out there as a possibility.

I do have a question about the idea of staging vs part of the crime - is it possible that the garotte was not a part of the crime, but that the strangulation in general was? I'm trying to think how to explain my thought process. As in, whoever strangled her did it in a "normal" fashion, just a rope around the neck, but then the garotte and those knots were part of the staging, to make it seem too complicated/strange for people in the house to have thought of?

The garrote is one of the things that makes me think JR was involved in the coverup. As a middle aged woman with no military experience, a garotte is completely alien and unfamiliar to me.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

I hate that the device is always referred to as a garrote.
It clearly is not a garrote.
And to me it is clearly a toggle rope.

Toggle ropes
attachment.php
attachment.php

Garrote
attachment.php
attachment.php

Toggle ropes or commando ropes are used in hiking/rock climbing (JAR), the military (JR) and boy scouts - they call it a buddy rope (BR) and probably a lot of other uses too.
The house keeper said she saw a similar device on a box in the basement during her time working at the Ramseys.(I'll try and find her exact wording)

Attachments

• toggle-rope.jpg
    toggle-rope.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 3,807
  • splice and toggle - connected.jpg
    splice and toggle - connected.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 3,975
  • garotte.jpg
    garotte.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 3,992
  • garrote mechanism of action.jpg
    garrote mechanism of action.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 3,947
I hate that the device is always referred to as a garrote.
It clearly is not a garrote.
And to me it is clearly a toggle rope.
Toggle ropes
attachment.php
attachment.php

Garrote
attachment.php
attachment.php
YES! Good point. Because this also points to the manner of choking. If it was a garrote it is twisted. If it is as you say a toggle rope, that would require pulling am I correct?
Points me back to BR being in scouts.
Or JR being in the Navy.
JMO

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The cord on her neck was deeply imbedded due to the swelling that occurred after death.

The garotte cord itself was 17" long from neck knot to paintbrush, which could allow for the cord to be run under the door and outside the room. By someone who didn't want to watch her being strangled? Could tugging on it from outside the door have caused the shoulder abrasion, the paintbrush stick to snap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't they own a boat?? It would be interesting to me to see if the use of this type of knot was used on the boat or anywhere else around the house. Obviously if the person known to use this type of knot would be the one who made the device.

YES! Good point. Because this also points to the manner of choking. If it was a garrote it is twisted. If it is as you say a toggle rope, that would require pulling am I correct?
Points me back to BR being in scouts.
Or JR being in the Navy.
JMO

Sorry, I added detail to my previous post as you were posting but yes.
I don't know enough about ropes and knots, as far as i can tell the loop at the end of a toggle rope is would go over the toggle to make another loop and then the toggle pulled tightening that same loop.

It is possible that she was swung and hit something (a dresser, a doorway), instead of something being swung to hit her. It doesn't fit with what I think probably happened but I figured I would put it out there as a possibility.

Yes, that is one massive skull fracture. Could she have fallen or been dropped?

The house keeper said she saw a similar device on a box in the basement during her time working at the Ramseys.(I'll try and find her exact wording)

She might have still been revived, but you didn't know it. You just pulled the cord tight around her neck until it was red. I remember just such a cord wrapped in just such a way around a box in the basement next to where her body was found. - Linda Hoffmann-Pugh

http://someoneisgettingawaywithmurder.blogspot.com.au/2010/11/death-of-innocent.html

Tricia, when will we have a DNA day?
Everybody around here knows I am not IDI so I am posting this only because I wanna understand things better.
There was this expert on the A&E show claiming that contamination is excluded because matching DNA was found on BOTH sides of JB'S pants.Is he right, is he wrong, can someone pls elaborate?TIA

IDK madeleine
but does he makes it seem like the tdna from the waistband was
tested as two individual samples?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member