Identified! MI - Found and identified 58 years later: a true story

Richard

Reaction score
This year marks the 40th anniversary of a truly unique case of a family finding and identifying a loved one. I don't know if it set any records, but here is the story:

Monroe Rutty of Saugatuck, Michigan was born in 1860, just a year before the Civil War began. In 1907, he was working as a logger on the west coast of Michigan when he was injured in an accident which caused him to lose his memory.

Although he was only 47 years old, he was moved into the Ottawa Home for the Aged where he spent the next fifty eight years not knowing who he was. In fact, no one at the hospital knew his identity, either.

In 1965, a newspaper published a story and picture of the mystery man on the occasion of his 105th birthday. Another old man happened to see the story and recognized Rutty as his long lost uncle. He came forward and positively identified him 58 years after the 1907 accident.

Monroe Rutty lived another six years. He died in 1971 at the age of 111.

Isn't that something! How did anyone know how old this man was if he had lost his memory? Were they just guessing...at the home that he lived in?

I wonder if the accident did something to this man that made it impossible for him to work anymore? Even people who lose their memory can still work and have a life... they just don't remember anything about themselves or their past.

It's to bad this poor man wasn't put in the newspaper years before and maybe his family would have seen it and been reconciled with him. I guess that was a long time ago and things were done differently back then.

Bump!

I'm currently investigating this man to find out whether Monroe Rutty and Joe Steel really were the same person. 111 is an extreme age.

Bump!

I'm currently investigating this man to find out whether Monroe Rutty and Joe Steel really were the same person. 111 is an extreme age.
Do you intend to have Steel/Rutty exhumed fro DNA testing?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361
Back